Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Door rattles when i close it? [98 hx]

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattles when i close it? [98 hx]

My driver side door makes a metallic-rattling noise when i close it. I would think nothing of it but it sounds like something is loose in the door or something, make the door sound very cheap and broken... I would like to fix this if possible. My passenger door closes correctly, no rattle, solid closing sound.

What could cause the door to rattle like that? Its only when i close it, its a hollow-metal rattle sound... just looing for ideas before i rip the panel off and start searchin...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Door rattles when i close it? [98 hx] (turbotime)

Check the speaker, the panel, the window track, and that part on the door jam that locks the door. It has three screws that sometimes come loose.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm i looked around a bit and tightened a few things but not much luck...

It sounds like the door is hollow or something? gonna pull the door panel later tonight i think...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm i looked around a bit and tightened a few things but not much luck...

It sounds like the door is hollow or something? gonna pull the door panel later tonight i think...</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the doors are some what hollow. has it ever been in a accident, that you know of? if not double check bolts to the window regulator, speakers, brackets, etc. the door panel needs to be removed to do this though.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no accidents that i know of and its the original owner, yeah ill pull the panel after work and see what i can find...

I know the doors are somewhat hollow but it sounds like its less-solid than the passenger door...

sorry its hard to describe
Old 02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just got thru inspecting the inside of the door, nothing loose.

I did notice the door doesnt go flush into the locking mechanism... the passenger side goes perfectly flush into the lock hinge, but on the driver side the lock hinge [on the chassis] sits like 1/8" higher than the lock hinge on the door...

is there anyway to adjust how the door sits? to raise it to be flush?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no accidents that i know of and its the original owner, yeah ill pull the panel after work and see what i can find...

I know the doors are somewhat hollow but it sounds like its less-solid than the passenger door...

sorry its hard to describe </TD></TR></TABLE>

has your door always done this?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just bought the car, i noticed the noise when i bought it but figured it was no big deal...

door closes fine it just sounds like a POS ill try and take a pic
Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i just bought the car, i noticed the noise when i bought it but figured it was no big deal...

door closes fine it just sounds like a POS ill try and take a pic</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, not to hurt your feelings, but it sounds like it was in a accident. the reason i say that is i once had a car that had work done on the driver door, and it took forever to re-align.

try taking to a shop and see how much they will cost just to re-align the door.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are some pics, i just need to prop up the right side of the door like 1/8" any ideas?

Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, that's off big time. does it seem loose? can you grab the door and move it up and down? have you tried tightening the bolts?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn, that's off big time. does it seem loose? can you grab the door and move it up and down? have you tried tightening the bolts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

door doesnt seem loose, but when you open it you can feel when it shifts down after it gets clear of the chassis lock thing (little hoook on the chassis that the door latch hooks into)...

after it clears that is shift down like 1/8" its not off THAT much but definitely enough to notice when your closing and opening the door... all the hinges are tight...

Should i try loosening the top and bottom hinges and then tightening the top one all the way then the bottom one? So as to pull the top up?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My driver side doors sounds like this too. I know the doors original though, the vin and stickers are all there and everything lines up. Tell us what you come up with because its damn annoying and the bass from the speakers causes mines to rattle a bit
Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rev2Eight_EM1)

You need to adjust your door, loosen up the door hinge bolts and tighten them back down when you have the door where you want it, remember to support the open end with a jack or something.

Sounds like the door is not closing smoothly onto the jam latch and making the door clang.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Skunk.Werks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skunk.Werks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like the door is not closing smoothly onto the jam latch and making the door clang.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly, im gonna try what u said with the jack and such and ill let you know how it goes...