Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG?

Old 07-30-2002, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG?

I've never had working a/c in an EG until last week. I got it fixed...new dryer, new compressor, new condensor....and of course freon. It gets COOL..almost cold...but it doesn't evern seem like it's gets COLD COLD...but then again it's been close to 100 everyday and I don't have tint...soo...

I was just wondering if the stock system is just weak, or if I should take it back to get looked at again?

What do you think of your a/c system?
Old 07-30-2002, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (FAH Q)

theres no such thing as ICE COLD a/c in a hatch.

Old 07-30-2002, 03:50 PM

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (FAH Q)

ever since I changed over from R12 to the environmentally safe R134A it does not even get near as cold as when I was running the original R12. I wish I never changed, oh well. Helping Earth.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (GQ Cowboy)

well it gets cold later in the afternoon when the sun starts getting outta the way (but it's still hot)...but like mid day...when the sun's right over head and beating down...it feels like it never can cool me all the way off. Maybe tint will help out some?

My friends EK seems to have a larger cooling capacity with his a/c
Old 07-30-2002, 04:08 PM
New User

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (hot_EG)

My A/C was freezing! But there was only one thing. If it the car was in the sun for 4 hrs and then I tried to cool it with the A/C it wouldn't work, but if it was in the garage and then I took it out it would get cold and stay cold. And I mean cold. On 100 degree days it was on fan setting 1, and not even all the way cold on the thermo.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (MaxBoost)

My A/C was freezing! But there was only one thing. If it the car was in the sun for 4 hrs and then I tried to cool it with the A/C it wouldn't work, but if it was in the garage and then I took it out it would get cold and stay cold. And I mean cold. On 100 degree days it was on fan setting 1, and not even all the way cold on the thermo.
yeah that sounds like my problem...my car sits outside all day, and then takes FOREVER to cool off. But if it's been in the shade, it'll get cold and stay cold I need a garage
Old 07-30-2002, 04:46 PM

in tx you dont get appreciate how beastly the heat in honda's are. i've owned 4 and i could sweat myself out of the car in all of them. AC always seemed decent.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:43 PM

Hmm... I have the same problem... if it's been sitting in the sun all day, almost nothing will cool it down short of driving like mad down the freeway for 15 minutes or so to get a lot of air pushing through that condensor.

If I have it parked in the shade, or in the garage or something, it gets plenty cold quick.

Guess that's just the way things are... the A/C systems in our cars are either at the end of the R12 or the beginning of the R134A stage... just not as efficient i guess.

For the original poster: one thing you might also check is to make sure that the fan behind the condensor is actually working on yours... mine didn't work for the longest time and as soon as I stopped moving or slowed down past like 45, it started blowing warm air... turned out to be the relay for the fan... 37 dollar part from honda, but it did make a difference.

[Modified by matt-eg, 2:44 AM 7/31/2002]
Old 07-30-2002, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ICE cold -
Old 07-31-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (93CivicSI)

mine NEVER worked very well (95 ex coupe), so once the swap went in, i pulled the A/C. believe me, i miss it, but now i have a daily driver so i only drive my car at night and on cooler weekends.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tend to park my car outside in the sun also and with the 90+ and humid weather (nasty for my area, not as hot as other places i know!) Only thing that tends to help jumpstart the a/c is start driving with windows down to vent the hotter air and just get it down to the outside temp. Run the a/c the entire time like half way up, to hi seems to run to much air not enough cold. Then just crank up the windows and switch to internal air and a/c seems to do the trick eventually. I know this is obvious stuff, but hey why not just mention it.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine never gets really cold, and even at the highest setting my fan doesnt blow enough air...

It's coming out in 2 weeks, I'm trading my A/C system for some other parts.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:31 AM
BW

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (GQ Cowboy)

Helping Earth.
screw mother earth. what has she done for me lately?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (wrine420)

I'm in Texas too. I park outside all day. I have tint and I use one of those windshield shades on the inside. I bought a good one too, not a cardboard one but one of the silver ones with bubbles. It takes about 10 minutes for my car to start being comfortable while driving home. Just idling with the air on, it never gets cool. It's gotta be moving. Tint helps an incredible amount, the sun doesn't beat down on you.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (fred97gle)

I'm in Texas too. I park outside all day. I have tint and I use one of those windshield shades on the inside. I bought a good one too, not a cardboard one but one of the silver ones with bubbles. It takes about 10 minutes for my car to start being comfortable while driving home. Just idling with the air on, it never gets cool. It's gotta be moving. Tint helps an incredible amount, the sun doesn't beat down on you.
Yep. Even with tint you guys gotta remember it is HOT outside. And when you get inside your car after having it sit outside all day it is probably around 150 degress i there. It's going to take awhile to cool it down, and then the sun is still constantly beating down on you. That's why it feels like it doesn't blow real cold. Try running your A/C at night to see if it gets real cold. If it does then it is working fine.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (96 SOHC VTEC)

One thing that helps me out on those hot days is when I am at idle, like at a stoplight, I put the car in neutral, then run up the rpms between 2000-2500. This helps make the air colder.

I had to get my freon recharged (older R12 system) a year ago. It's been fine since. Cost me $120 at the dealer. I miss those days when you could buy R12 at any auto parts store and recharge it yourself.

Toby
Old 07-31-2002, 01:51 PM

i have a '00 si and my a/c never gets COLD COLD, it just gets chilly, and some days it will get more chilly than the other day. its just weird like that.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (allmtrSI)

R12 is environmentally friendly....Most people don't know the REAL story as to why things were switched to R134...

Anyway, Does anybody know what I can do to increase the efficiency of my a/c system? I tried it at night, and it seems to almost get cold...but not COLD. not the kind where it'll sting your face...that's what I want. I drive around all day waiting for the a/c to cool me off... Both of my brothers nissans will do that to you after 3 minutes in the car

I think once upon a time I saw something in a parts store that was like a coolant drop for the a/c system or something-- it's supposed to increase the efficiency....or maybe I saw it advertised in a mechanics shop. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have you tried it?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does your A/C ever get COLD in your EG? (fred97gle)

Fred, I noticed you have a Maxima as well as a Honda....How does your a/c system in the Maxima compare to the one in the hatch? Is it like night and day? It is when I compare my hatch to my bro's maxima
Old 07-31-2002, 05:34 PM

A/C? Whats that....

fO - who sweats his ***** off in a blacked out hatch in midwest humidity daily
Old 08-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my a/c dont do **** for me. i live in a desert. What maintance should be done to A/C?

[Modified by Dominican_Kid, 11:46 PM 8/1/2002]