Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does the VSS affect the odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the VSS affect the odometer?

I had a check engine light come on a while back everything was fine on the car except that the speedometer stayed at 20mph. After about 3 days the check engine light went off but the speedometer kept ******* up. After a bit of driving it would quit and start working properly. This has gone on for about a month. Then one day I filled up at the gas station and reset my trip odometer. While driving it stayed at 20 and the odometer would not move. Apparently this may have been going on for a while. So now the odometer is off by at least 200 some miles. I was wondering if it was just an obvious connection between the two or some deep rooted problem thats ******* everything up?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (importdreamer)

the vss controls the odometer.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (Kamin)

so how does one fix the VSS? Should I just let it go and screw someone over when they buy my car? jk
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VSS gets corrosion around the pins especially the power for the sensor. What you have to do is either replace the pins in the plug or replace the plug and the pins, I usually just cut the plug off and solder in a new one( No butt connectors)Those things are a joke. It is a pretty easy fix and it happens all of the time. Before you plug the new one in put some dilectical grease on the pins inside the plug this should help to keep it water tight
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well first thing to do is look at the connection at the VSS, it has a tendancy to get dirty and have bad connection problems. happened on m b16.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (Kamin)

is the VSS the sensor in the transmission? i had my vss replaced when i first got my car and my speedo still didn't work. any other sensors that have to do with that ish? i really would like to have a better idea as to how fast im going instead of 55 at 2.5rpm and 65@3krpm
Old 01-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (nota-ex)

try swapping out the cluster mine's doin the same thing,but im to lazy to swap it out got bettr things to worry about.puttin a turbo kit on right now when im done with it then i'll go fix it.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (gt30typer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gt30typer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The VSS gets corrosion around the pins especially the power for the sensor. What you have to do is either replace the pins in the plug or replace the plug and the pins, I usually just cut the plug off and solder in a new one( No butt connectors)Those things are a joke. It is a pretty easy fix and it happens all of the time. Before you plug the new one in put some dilectical grease on the pins inside the plug this should help to keep it water tight</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (1slowhatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1slowhatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try swapping out the cluster mine's doin the same thing,but im to lazy to swap it out got bettr things to worry about.puttin a turbo kit on right now when im done with it then i'll go fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll try that. but that'll happen after i get the turbo b18b in the car
Old 01-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'll try that. but that'll happen after i get the turbo b18b in the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

is your car throwing code 17??? if it is check the wires that plug into the top of the sensor as said before, happend with me numerous of times
Old 01-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (Shaun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your car throwing code 17??? if it is check the wires that plug into the top of the sensor as said before, happend with me numerous of times</TD></TR></TABLE>

check engine light was on awhile ago, but then it stopped. everythings plugged in. i'll pull it off, check for corossion, then plug it back in tomorrow after school and work.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

check engine light was on awhile ago, but then it stopped. everythings plugged in. i'll pull it off, check for corossion, then plug it back in tomorrow after school and work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet you it was 17 , My speedo use to jump up and down with vibration , damn vss's
Old 01-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (Shaun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet you it was 17 , My speedo use to jump up and down with vibration , damn vss's </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, and now it rides at 0. just last week it would randomly go to something like 30 and sit there, then it would go up and down, like it was vibrating, and then go back to 0. mabe i'll get a pretty gague cluster.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, now that I know how to fix it, how do I find it? I dont know what it looks like or anything, my bad .
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Yup.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importdreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, now that I know how to fix it, how do I find it? I dont know what it looks like or anything, my bad . </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if this is a good comparison, but do you know what your map sensor looks like on your throttle body? Well, its like a bigger version of that. It's right below your throttle body/intake piping. It has a connector with 3 wires coming out of it.

If you find it and try to take it off, its a bitch because there's not a whole lot of room to get your hands down in there. I checked mine last night, all of my pins are there, looks like the pins and connectors are in great shape, but speedo still says zero. I'm going to replace my cluster soon.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:22 PM

pull the sensor and replace the top half first , for one it is a whole bunch cheaper than a cluster and it will then isolate the problem further
Old 01-06-2005, 04:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gt30typer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull the sensor and replace the top half first , for one it is a whole bunch cheaper than a cluster and it will then isolate the problem further</TD></TR></TABLE>

i already had the vss replaced. or is the top part seperate from the sensor itself?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The vss is 2 parts. Top plastic part and bottom holder part.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Does the VSS affect the odometer? (B2FiNiTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2FiNiTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The vss is 2 parts. Top plastic part and bottom holder part. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have to find my receipt and call up to Mr.Tire to see what all they replaced. When I looked at everything last night the connectors looked like they were in great shape, no corroding/rust, no bends or anything. None of the wires were loose from the connector part.

I'm glad I drive a honda, I've seen the **** some of my friend's have to go through on their domestics. It makes me sad. I remember helping my friend put a CAI on his S10. There were like 20 feet of piping for the stock intake.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM

If you have a mulitimeter and a wring diagram you can see if there is any continuity between the wire on the gauge cluster and the wire at the vehicle speed sensor and the speedsensor to the ECU
Old 01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i was having real annoying problems with my vss. i got it primarily fixed by just unplugging the harness and spraying some pb blaster in there and letting it drain out. its supposed to clean off corrosion. not too long after that my speedo/odo started working again. the only problem i have is that sometimes if its hella cold (like 10*'s) or my car sits for a few days at a time ill have to drive like 3 or 4 miles before it comes up to speed. try it before you go replacing your vss