Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does a japanese muffler (axle back) needs to be fitted for 96-00 Hatchback ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a JDM CTR EK9 spec muffler (axle back) needs to be fitted for 96-00 Hatchback ?

Hello @ HT members,

as you can see this is my first post here on the HT board, so I believe I need to introduce myself to you before I start questioning and open a thread.
I have got a 99 civic hatchback and most of my time, I am on a German Honda board because I am living there.

So far about myself but lets talk about the topic related to this thread title.
I was planning to buy a new muffler, just an axle back for my hatch and found some japanese mufflers which I would really like to buy. However I am considering to buy the Spoon street type muffler (power gaining and quiet), but please dont ask my why, you may take this muffler as an example because my problem can be referred to all japanese mufflers.
So I looked around the internet and found some pages which offers this axle back but unfortunatley my hatch is not listed. The only model which would come next to mine would be the CTR EK9 but only because of its chassis and it is also a hatchback from the same generation, a EK3 or EK4 would be considered as a sedan in Japan, if am not wrong. So if we take this spoon muffler as an example and look at the list for which model this would be available.

http://www.spoon.jp/eng/products/lin...n.php?page=028

So my question is, if I would order a muffler (axle back) for a CTR EK9, would it fit to my 99 hatchback without any further fitments ?
Does a JDM muffler always needs to be fitted in general ?

Please don't get me wrong or flame me if this is a newbie question but I am just asking because I have had a "5zigen Border 304 Speed" Full cat back (was loud as hell) which was built for the CTR EK9 as described on the cardboardbox. However this one needed to be fitted because the B-pipe was just a bit too long, so a shop cut a bit out of it and it was done. I guess the reason was the header since i dont have got a B16 than just a D14xx (dont know) another reason which the shop who sold me the 5zigen, is probably the cat. They told me that in Japan they use a different cat than the European models.

So does this issue also concern to a japanese muffler (axle back), are further fitments necessary ?
Do you guys who has got a jdm muffler or full cat back also has got this problem ?
For which model do I have to order if I buy a japanese muffler ( here in Germany my model is called EJ9) ?

Thank you for listening to my long story (sorry for bad English).
Any advises or futher information is appreciated.

Best regards
Totoro

[Modified by Totoro, 10:03 PM 12/31/2002]

Modified by Totoro at 3:38 PM 6/9/2003
Old 12-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a japanese muffler (axle back) needs to be fitted for 96-00 Hatchback ? (Totoro)

Don't be so formal my friend. Most of the guys on this board are dicks. As for your question, try using the search function. I bet someone asked this question before.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Does a japanese muffler (Happyman)

I just wanted to be polite since this is my first post on this board.

So does really none of you onws a 96-00 hatchback in combination with a e.g. Spoon N1, Mugen Twin Loop, Tanabe xx or any other japanese muffler brand which comes straight from Japan ?

I really did try the search function but couldnt get any useful results.

Old 12-31-2002, 07:37 AM
ko
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a japanese muffler (Totoro)

Germany huh? Sweet.

Anyway, i'm rolling a Buddy Club spec III cat back and had no fitment problems. Just order it from the CTR (underneathe is all the same if I'm not mistaken). It'll fit just fine. Hope I helped!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a JDM CTR EK9 spec muffler (axle back) needs to be fitted for 96-00 Hatchback ? (Totoro)

I think the Japanese cats are shorter than others, so that is why they have to cut a bit off the B pipe.

As far as fitment, you yourself said your Border exhaust (God I wish I had one) worked other than the cat problem. So, the Spoon, or any other J-spec exhaust should work with the same amount of work.

And the EK9 exhaust should work.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Does a JDM CTR EK9 spec muffler (axle back) needs to be fitted for 96-00 Hatchback ? (Totoro)

Sorry for digging out this topic again, but I came to a new question regarding full catbacks, which came straight from Japan and were built for a EK9.
Does anyone of you has got a 96-00 hatchback with a NON B16 engine and running a full catback, which was built for a EK9 ?
I came to the conclusion that, if you are running a 96-00 hatchback with a B16 engine, you can order any exhaust system for the EK9 from Japan without any fitment issues. But if you do NOT running a B16 in your car and you order a exhaust system for a EK9, you will have some fitment issues with the B-Pipe for sure.
So can anyone confirm my thoughts about this ?
Any useful comments are appreciated, but please no flaming. I did a search already.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Does a JDM CTR EK9 spec muffler (Totoro)

think about it...the best engine you can get in the usdm hatches (96+) is a dx level engine. the cat is located in the middle of the exhaust manifold section, then the b-pipe is connected....so that's why there would be a fitment issue.

the jdm cars run a cat, but it mounts at the bottom of the exhaust manifold/header. put it this way, i swapped a jdm sir2 b16a into a usdm 96 hatch. the b16a exhaust manifold bolted up perfectly to my stock b-pipe.....no cat though....

the axlebacks should work just fine if you order for an ek9 (axlebacks).