Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does Japan Hates On Us?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 01:09 PM
TheHater

Default Does Japan Hates On Us?

Well I was thinking about this when I was driving to work today and I was just disturbed as this 2000 DX passed by me. Why did japan make those so cheap, you know Honda could have made a shitload of money if they had the type R over here instead they stuck us with some body with a 98 HP engine. Not to dis hatchbacks (I love those ) and they made it even worst with the drum brakes . You know how hard its gonna be and how much money it is going to be to put disks on that hatch. I read in SCC that when honda was ?tioned with "why the TYPE R is not here" they made some bullshit up about marketing strategy. Bullshit . They Just dont wand us to have the TYPE R they have. Look a Honda is my first car and I love it (99 SI) and it is the closest thing that has come to a JDM (other than the ITR. Non JDM). I think a whole lot of people should send HONDA letters about how much people want these cars. And dont say that there making money piece by piece because they wont even sell us a type r peace unless you show them you have a CTR. How Lame is that. Im not dissing honda but if they could ship all those cars over here why not the CTR. and even though we dont get them we will figure out ways to make them look 99 % alike.
I REALLY APOLOGIZE FOR ANY STATEMENTS THAT OFFENDED ANYBODY
Old 06-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (BOOSTINSI)

It's all marketing. Honda won't sell the cars you want here because it's not worth it to them. There is obviously more non-enthusiasts than enthusiasts. And Honda as become well known with reliable, low gas milage, and affordable. That's what the American market sees. +
Old 06-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Future Texas Boy

it`s there way of getting back at us for the a-bomb

btw, that was a joke.

[Modified by vtecvoodoo, 10:17 PM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-13-2002, 01:19 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (Mr. Shin)

Hey you that is true about there gas mileage . Then why the hell did they bring the JDM ITR here and it has the same motor that the JDM one has . HUH HUH.
Not dissing you . You make really intellegent comments. For real.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:23 PM

Reponse to the JDM R post.

#1 They never brought the "JDM" Type R here.
#2 The JDM Type R from Japan has an entirelly different front end, engine, wheels and interior.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Future Texas Boy

if you are comparing the usdm and jdm r motors, they have different compression.

Ryan
Old 06-13-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (vtecvoodoo)

They want us to spend more for their parts and spend American money. Also they want to have their own motorsports over there why give Americans the fun also is their state of mind. Plus we have big V8's that everyone likes.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my take on it....

In this country Honda only wants to be known as a family oriented, environment friendly car company.

I like my civic don't get me wrong.

But everyone here is such a small percentage of the honda market. If anything were a pain in there ***. They don't support racing at least not like Chevy, BMW, Ford, or Mazda does.

Roger Foo uses a mazda now because its so much cheaper.

If we all stopped racing and hooking up the honda cars it would probably make them happy.

Because of all of us the insurance on a honda has gone up. It cuts into there regular sales. And the theifs make it even worse. How many post have you seen saying "I'd buy a Type R but it will just get stolen" and it will.

This is just my opinion.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone set us up the bomb.

Old 06-13-2002, 01:33 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (p0oty)

pooty as you could read in my first post I stated that the ITR that they brough here was not JDM and In sorry I did not know they had different compressions.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (Paul Walker)

I'd venture to say that Honda makes more money on the cheap-as-hell-to-manufacture CX and DX hatches than they do on the Type R stuff.

You have to understand that you and the rest of us here on H-T are the ABNORMAL when it comes to wants and needs in a car.

While we think tons of people want the higher performance cars, the truth is that the higher performance cars didn't sell all that good over the years.

Why do you think that they nixed the "Si" Model hatchback in 1996? Because the 1995 Si hatch didn't sell too well even though it's performance numbers were dead-on with the 1999-2000 Si and it was a good deal cheaper.

Honda's not dumb. In the end it's all about making MONEY, not pleasing the enthusiasts which might make up 10% at the most of their customer base.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 5:43 PM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-13-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (B18C5-EH2)

I'd venture to say that Honda makes more money on the cheap-as-hell-to-manufacture CX and DX hatches than they do on the Type R stuff.

You have to understand that you and the rest of us here on H-T are the ABNORMAL when it comes to wants and needs in a car.

While we think tons of people want the higher performance cars, the truth is that the higher performance cars didn't sell all that good over the years.

Why do you think that they nixed the "Si" Model hatchback in 1996? Because the 1995 Si hatch didn't sell too well even though it's performance numbers were dead-on with the 1999-2000 Si and it was a good deal cheaper.

Honda's not dumb. In the end it's all about making MONEY, not pleasing the enthusiasts which might make up 10% at the most of their customer base.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 5:43 PM 6/13/2002]
honda does care about the enthausist (sp) but they care more about volume, yea you could sell 15,000 ITR's a year but they are more expensive to produce and give the same profit margin..not worth it. the U.S. market was/is never really into hatches and that is why the 99-00 si was a coupe (plus there was a little less tooling involved). honda is out to sell cars to certain price points not build products (like the CTR) that would take away from another product (like the RSX) just look at GM they do a very good job of being their own competition
Old 06-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (B18C5-EH2)

Maybe I can help a little. I work for Honda, designing them. Honda is very focused on cost. If its not cost effective they won't do it. Well, in most cases. Like the insight isn't that cost effective, but it has a different intent. In 99% of the cases, decisions are cost based. Trust me I know.

I drive a Type R. When I started working for the Big H, one of the first things I wanted to know is, how come we dont' get Recaro's here, and all the questions you guys normally ask. There are a few answers, testing, cost, etc. None of them make me happy, and I've expressed that to them many times!

Another point: Hopefully someone can prove me wrong (exotic car companies don't count. Name an automaker that manufactures more performance cars for the market than Honda. Let's look at what we have today on the market (including Acura): Civic (fun to tune compared to a corolla let's say), the civic si, S2000, Acura CL Type S (now with MT), Acura TL Type S (my guess soon to have MT), NSX, RSX Type S. O.K. The total is 7. 7 rather performance oriented cars. You could argue that the civic doesn't count, but I'm counting it, it's potential and outrageous success as a tuner car are leading me to count it.
Now, name another car company (you can join them like Lexus and Toyota) that has 7 performance oriented cars. I can't really name one, although I haven't checked thouroughly to make sure.
This idea of comparing was brought up at work the other day when we were discussing the same thing, why we don't get the "good" stuff, then we stepped back and became thankfull for what we already had.

Yes, I want the Type R, especially the civic, to come here. But I think we have it relatively good, or better than we think. Also, another point to consider that I've learned a lot about by talking to the Japanese associates, is how hard it is to have a modified car over there. Rules, taxes, expense, etc. We have it waaay easier over here. So I think Honda of Japan for example must make the type r (integra for example) better, because it's harder to be able to mod over there. So you are looking for a "modded" from the factory car, where here, we can mod the car ourselves w/o all the restrictions. Just a thought.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:18 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us?

Well look some people want the Type Rs and Im one of them . They at least could make a small portion of them at least with the interior and the 5 lug and exterior because we will find ways to stick a B18C5 in there and if it costs more money why do they make them down there. Dont tell me the people in Japan are more wealthy than the average person in the US . And look at the Si look how hard it is to find one of those at the local honda dealer and they made 60000 come on.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (chrisonepointsix)

they don't do it to spite us, they do it beacuse it's a good buisness practice. Despite the many enthusists, I doubt a civic type r would have sold well in the USA. Heck, the s2000 will probally lose money for honda USA in the this year. Performance cars just don't generate big sales numbers. Note that honda has stopped production of the prelude, but is adding a full size suv, and perhap a pickup to its USA lineup.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:22 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (00-ITR-373)

Maybe I can help a little. I work for Honda, designing them. Honda is very focused on cost. If its not cost effective they won't do it. Well, in most cases. Like the insight isn't that cost effective, but it has a different intent. In 99% of the cases, decisions are cost based. Trust me I know.

I drive a Type R. When I started working for the Big H, one of the first things I wanted to know is, how come we dont' get Recaro's here, and all the questions you guys normally ask. There are a few answers, testing, cost, etc. None of them make me happy, and I've expressed that to them many times!

Another point: Hopefully someone can prove me wrong (exotic car companies don't count. Name an automaker that manufactures more performance cars for the market than Honda. Let's look at what we have today on the market (including Acura): Civic (fun to tune compared to a corolla let's say), the civic si, S2000, Acura CL Type S (now with MT), Acura TL Type S (my guess soon to have MT), NSX, RSX Type S. O.K. The total is 7. 7 rather performance oriented cars. You could argue that the civic doesn't count, but I'm counting it, it's potential and outrageous success as a tuner car are leading me to count it.
Now, name another car company (you can join them like Lexus and Toyota) that has 7 performance oriented cars. I can't really name one, although I haven't checked thouroughly to make sure.
This idea of comparing was brought up at work the other day when we were discussing the same thing, why we don't get the "good" stuff, then we stepped back and became thankfull for what we already had.

Yes, I want the Type R, especially the civic, to come here. But I think we have it relatively good, or better than we think. Also, another point to consider that I've learned a lot about by talking to the Japanese associates, is how hard it is to have a modified car over there. Rules, taxes, expense, etc. We have it waaay easier over here. So I think Honda of Japan for example must make the type r (integra for example) better, because it's harder to be able to mod over there. So you are looking for a "modded" from the factory car, where here, we can mod the car ourselves w/o all the restrictions. Just a thought.

Hey you have made the best post here yet and I really respect that . Thank A Whole Bunch. And good luck with the big
Old 06-13-2002, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (jcnfh)

Be mad at honda of america. Honda of japan has nothing to do with what cars are and are not released in America. We are a minority and the vast aftermarket support that honda gets is with little help from Honda of America.....
Old 06-13-2002, 02:24 PM
JV
Who?

LOL.....
Old 06-13-2002, 02:26 PM
TheHater

they don't do it to spite us, they do it beacuse it's a good buisness practice. Despite the many enthusists, I doubt a civic type r would have sold well in the USA. Heck, the s2000 will probally lose money for honda USA in the this year. Performance cars just don't generate big sales numbers. Note that honda has stopped production of the prelude, but is adding a full size suv, and perhap a pickup to its USA lineup.
I think the S2000 does not sell here because it is a 2Seater and there is less performance products for it . Teenagers whant 4 seaters to hot box the car.HAHA. and them cars are expensive my sister was A BMW or A S2000 what do you think she picked. A type r should not be more than 25GS and if it is keep em in Japan.Except for the RSX TYPE R.

Old 06-13-2002, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (00-ITR-373)

good post, i agree with eveyting exept the seven perfornmnce cars. i love honda but there most companys have more perfromance cars in there lineups. companys like BMW, Audi/porshe/VW, Toyota/lexus (mR2, celica, matrix, is300, sc430, gs300, gs430, the new corrolla, camy solara), GM, Ford (both NOT counting foregin aquisations/partnerships, i.e. Mazda, jaguar).
Old 06-13-2002, 02:42 PM

I think the S2000 does not sell here because it is a 2Seater and there is less performance products for it . Teenagers whant 4 seaters to hot box the car.HAHA. and them cars are expensive my sister was A BMW or A S2000 what do you think she picked. A type r should not be more than 25GS and if it is keep em in Japan.Except for the RSX TYPE R.
but teenages looking to mod their car aren't a big enough market, they don't have enough money, and despite the rapid expanse of the popularity of sport compacts oover the past few years, it is still very much a minority segment. And I think almost any teenage looking to modify their car, given the choice would rather have an s2000 than a 4-door, the problem is the differences in price between an s2k and a sedan.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:47 PM
TheHater

Hell yeah I rather have an S2000 but I would like to have my friends in the back sometimes and the type R already comes modded all you need to do is slap on a turbocharger and a Hondata unit and your ready to roll with five point slows. Thats what I think.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, that was a joke.

[Modified by vtecvoodoo, 10:17 PM 6/13/2002]

Get back at them by sleeping with as many Japanese girls as posible. Infiltrate the camp. (Just kidding)

[Modified by whatcivic, 1:16 AM 6/14/2002]
Old 06-13-2002, 04:40 PM
New User

The CTR is comming here with the 200 HP engine next year or so.

You have to understand, the market for performance economy cars in the US wasn't that developed until people started going nuts with their Civics and other imports. Now the big three domestic manufacturers have their tuning shops throwing concept cars that quite frankly have more power then the Si or even the RSX-S for less money.

There is also the fact that Acura exists in the US and the Integra was a major factor in the CTR not making it here for awhile.

Now lets see what is going to happen and is happening:

WRX Sti

Lancer Evo VII

SVT Focus

new Neon R/T (they'll get it right someday)

RX-8

new pontaic GTO, supercharge V-6 in a body that for once, doesnt look like ****,
based on a platform that HANDLES.

Hundyia or howver the **** u spell it witht he Tiburoun closing in on a decent sports car

Good concept cars from Chrysler and GM featuring budget sports cars.

With all that, and a growing aftermarket industry, you can bet your *** the number crunchers over at Honda Co. will want a peice of the growing pie. We're going to get badass cars, question remains, WTF are you going to drive them? 65 MPH down I-95?
Old 06-13-2002, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Does Japan Hates On Us? (chrisonepointsix)

you forgot...............

260hp nissan 350z

its all over.
this car is going to cost around $40k though - thats 2-3 Civic DX's

Quick Reply: Does Japan Hates On Us?