Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

does anyone know how to take off the intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know how to take off the intake manifold?

i would like to clean the throttle body and intake manifold, but dont know the correct procedure. I've heard good results like better mpg and smooth idling/better acceleration. anyway, car is 96 civic coupe with stock d16y8. thank you in advance.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone know how to take off the intake manifold? (ShinotakuX)

uhm... first buy new IM gasket and TB gasket. then disconnect the lines to you IM and the intake from the TB. then take off bolts to IM and remove the TB. use gasket cleaner or something to clean off the old gasket from TB and IM and the head, unless you like leaks. clean then replace gaskets and bolt together then bolt to head then put back intake... done.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take the intake off and spray some carb cleaner on the filter and on the throttle plate
pretty simple
Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Re: (v8killaz)

does anyone have pictures to provide? because I'm still confuse in taking off the intake manifold, however the throttle body is easy to remove.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShinotakuX)

sounds like someone doesn't have a manual to his car... it will have pics of how to take it all apart, and put it back together.

if you forget where the vacuum lines go, or tear an injector o-ring, you could be in for some down time.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxcess)

all the bolts going into the head, one is behind the oil filter, so you gotta take that off, then theres 2 going straight up from a bracket, then all the hoses have to be removed ( mark where these go, trust me) then the fuel lines,i'd remove it from the fuel filter and undo all plugs, ( mark these too some how) and it should fall off.
or get some TB cleaner and a tooth brush.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM

I actually did this exact procedure yesterday.

First off, there's a bracket supporting the intake manifold that needs to be accessed from the bottom. There are a total of four 12mm fasteners (two on the block, two on the manifold) that hold it on. I would drain the coolant as much as possible before beginning anything though as you'll need to remove some coolant lines and spills are generally uncool. While you're under the car getting the bracket off, go ahead and get the one 12mm nut in the bottom center of the manifold flange.

From there it's just component removal. Make sure and label anything you think you might get confused with later...and make sure you have something to scrape the gasket surfaces with. I generally use a razor blade.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would anyone want to take off their intake manifold and throttle body to clean it? That's the dumbest and most useless thing I've ever heard of!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

think about it. How can you clean the ports that go into the head?

AND why take the bracket completely off? just like to waste time? if i was you, i'd pull the engine out and clean the living crap off any removable part. hense my car, blew rings out twice with my intake manifold, ( original rings bad after 350,000, rebuilt engine, that engine decided to screw off with the rings) Put it on third engine, Still none of these wierd symptoms you guys get. i know for a fact it is fully carboned up ( my luck)

TB cleaner or some sort of crap you put in your gas tank. that'll clean it out. and everything else thats dirty in the engine
Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would anyone want to take off their intake manifold and throttle body to clean it? That's the dumbest and most useless thing I've ever heard of!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just kidding about that lol. I'm still in love with my success story I posted here

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2366274

Removing the intake manifold is straight-forward. Remove the bolts you see, the bolts on the bottom of the manifold (bracket bolts) hoses, fuel rail, plugs. It's really easy. Just make SURE you label or take tons of pics before you take anything apart. Stupid me labeled the hoses and manifold but after I washed my manifold, all the sharpie labels I made melted off. Good thing I took pics though to show me how everything went.