Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 04:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!!

I bought some coilovers and when i installed them i had to cut half of this yellow rubber piece that is connected to my shock but i sold the coilovers and i bought lowering springs. After i installed the springs, my 2000 Civic HB sounds like its gonna fall apart. Everytime i hit a bump, pothole, or a speedbump on the road my springs or something down in that area starts to make weird squeeking noises. It does not sound normal. And i know 99% for a fact that i installed the springs right. Maybe i did something wrong? But i really doubt it. I cant figure out whats making this noise and its really loud and annoying. It never made these noises before when i had the coilovers in. I'm thinking, could it be the rubber piece that i cut? Or is this just how Civic HBs are with lowering springs? I owned a 99 Integra GSR before and it didnt make ANY noise with my lowering springs when going over a bump, pothole, or a speedbump. I cant stand the noise! Someone help me out please!
Old 08-03-2001, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (LiLxKiMcHeE)

check the rubber piece on top of the shock where it meets the chassis. it might be out of place.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:58 PM
New User

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (spnhb)

Actually i've already checked that and its not it. And it's not just a squeeking noise, there is also a sound that goes "klink klink" like as if something is hitting against each other. It's really weird and it's starting to irritate me. Someone have any ideas what could be wrong?
Old 08-04-2001, 02:22 AM
New User

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (LiLxKiMcHeE)

well it sounds like u took out the bump stops not too good if u ask me or u might be too low n might have to roll ur fenders?? i donno would go get that **** checked out.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:07 AM
New User

if i were u i would get new shock like koni or tokico or kyb..

haha

go to http://www.shox.com

they sell shocks for hella cheap...

good luck^^
Old 08-04-2001, 09:07 AM
New User

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (civic_hatch_gurl)

bump stops? you mean the yellow rubber piece?
Old 08-05-2001, 05:40 AM
New User

the little yellow piece you cut was the bumpstop. Depending on what lowering springs you have now, some require cutting of the bumpstop, some dont. But it sounds to me that your struts are bad. Is it a squeeking or kind of a grinding noise? If its squeeking, theres several possibilitie-Itll require someone who knows suspensions to look at it and tell what it is. If its more of a "air compressing piston scraping the bore of the strut" grinding noise, its your struts.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:42 PM
New User

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (JHMeg8)

Yes i did cut the bumpstop in half when i installed my coilovers but now i put in some H & R Race Springs. So you are saying that it isnt because i cut the bumpstop right? It could be bad struts? When i drive slow over bumps or potholes, it squeeks. But when i drive fast it squeeks and it doesnt really sound like a air compressing piston scraping the bore of the strut like you said but it also sounds like something is hitting against each other while it squeeks. It is really hard to explain what it exactly sounds like. Where should i go to get this checked out?
Old 08-05-2001, 02:52 PM
New User

well you dont sound like your getting the help you desired, so go get a checked out by someone who does that stuff for a living.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:57 AM
New User

well, if its a squeek, theres a lot of different things it could be, from something not seating itself correctly to worn out bushings.. Your best bet would be to ask some people in your area wich shop they recomend, try to find a shop thats trustworthy, its easy to get ripped off on this kind of stuff.

I really dont think its from the bumpstops, though. The only thing they do is limit suspension travel so the piston doesnt bottom out, cutting it just gives you a little more travel with lowered springs.

If you want to try to diagnose it your self, get an old steel wheel and a block of wood, jack up the car, remove the wheel from the corner you think its coming from, set the block of wood on top of the wheel (wheel laying down with the outer face of the wheel facing up)and set the lower control arm CAREFULLY on the block of wood on top of the wheel. Or even use a cynder block and block of wood.. Or any other way you can think of to do it as long as you are positve its all SOLID and the car isnt going to fall.

Once its all secure, get someone to push up and down on the car and try to get it to make the noise while you are listening and looking to see what area its coming from. Its impossible to do this with the wheel on, this gives you the ability to see and hear all of your suspension parts move, and hopefully the ability to find your squeek/rubbing noise.

[Modified by JHMeg8, 4:09 PM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 11:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Does anybody know what im talking about? Help Please!! (JHMeg8)

Yeah i dont think its from the bumpstops either. The sounds come from all four corners, not just one corner. Ive asked everyone and pretty much tried everything that i could to solve this problem but i cant figure it out so this is where i give up and get some professional help. Where should i take my car to? Autobody shop?
Old 08-07-2001, 12:34 PM
New User

NO. NOT AN AUTOBODY SHOP, MAN. TAKE IT TO AN ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC. PREFERABLY SOMEONE, OR A SHOP THAT SPECIALIZES IN JAPANESE CARS. I KNOW SOMEONE DOWN HERE IN CA, BUT UR IN OREGON. SORRY BUD. CHECK YOUR STRUTS, IT COULD BE THOSE TOO. GOOD LUCK.