Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does anybody have a How-to on how to install gauge cluster needles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody have a How-to on how to install gauge cluster needles?

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Purchased a 96-00 gauge cluster from the dealer, but it does not come with the needles mounted.</FONT>
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

you purchased the entire cluster or just the gauges in the cluster?

I've only seen one brand new cluster from honda and it had everything in tact. Purchasing the gauges separately is a different story.

the needles are calibrated, especially the tach and speedo. The temp and fuel gauges are a lot more of a course scale so precise accuracy isn't really needed.

install the cluster without the needles, leave off the plastic cover so you can get to the gauge faces.

tach - start car let idle until fan turns on and off, install needle pointed at 800RPM
temp gauge - at same time install needle pointed at center of travel
fuel gauge - fill tank and point needle just over the F line

speedo requires another car to pace with... you see where I'm going with this right?

you can do all of this with a function generator, o-scope and some math to figure out things with the Helm manual. But the first method works fine and you don't have to have expensive equipment.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you purchased the entire cluster or just the gauges in the cluster?

I've only seen one brand new cluster from honda and it had everything in tact. Purchasing the gauges separately is a different story.

the needles are calibrated, especially the tach and speedo. The temp and fuel gauges are a lot more of a course scale so precise accuracy isn't really needed.

install the cluster without the needles, leave off the plastic cover so you can get to the gauge faces.

tach - start car let idle until fan turns on and off, install needle pointed at 800RPM
temp gauge - at same time install needle pointed at center of travel
fuel gauge - fill tank and point needle just over the F line

speedo requires another car to pace with... you see where I'm going with this right?

you can do all of this with a function generator, o-scope and some math to figure out things with the Helm manual. But the first method works fine and you don't have to have expensive equipment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> I'm sorry I forgot to elaborate.. I purchased the Temp/Fuel gauge from Honda. I will try this tommorrow. Also is there anything special that gets them to stay on? Thanks.</FONT>
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
H-T White Ops

if your temp/fuel gauge didn't come with the needles installed send it back.
I just bought this gauge for my EM1 and it came with the needles on there.