Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

does any one know the part # for civic hood insulator????

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 does any one know the part # for civic hood insulator????

Im looking for the 92-95 civic Hood Insulator. This goes under the hood of many civic's. I tried calling the local Honda dealer, but they told me I needed a VIN # in order to help me out. The guy knew what I was talking about, his customer service just sucked !!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does any one know the part # for civic hood insulator????

talk to his manager, honda doesnt want jackasses working for them. also check the sticky at the top the forum that says oem part part dealers. some of them have part nubmers, alot of them have removed them recently, not sure why.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dj theoretic
Im looking for the 92-95 civic Hood Insulator. This goes under the hood of many civic's. I tried calling the local Honda dealer, but they told me I needed a VIN # in order to help me out. The guy knew what I was talking about, his customer service just sucked !!!!!
They're not available through US dealers. I just checked the parts catalog and they're just plain not in there.
Originally Posted by freakasis
talk to his manager, honda doesnt want jackasses working for them. also check the sticky at the top the forum that says oem part part dealers. some of them have part nubmers, alot of them have removed them recently, not sure why.
Which sites have been removing numbers? Iv'e seen some just plain don't exist anymore (like SLHonda), but I haven't seen them removing part numbers. Wish they would though. It gets old seeing people think they can order such and such rare optional part from a random site just because they have the entire catalog still online. If it's discontinued it's discontinued.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this the thing your looking for?

74142-SR3-010
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
H-T White Ops

is this the thing your looking for?

74142-SR3-010
That's the rubber hood seal that's at the front underside of the hood to keep out water and air.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then i dont know what your talking about.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#12? if so part# 74143-SR3-000
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dpetro1
#12? if so part# 74143-SR3-000
Nope, that a wiper cowl hood seal. As mentioned earlier, our north american cars don't have the option available, so that why it does "not" show up in the cataloge.

For an "example" only, i will put up a picture from an older care (crx) that does have the option, so others know the part that we are referring too

it is #20 in this picture....remember, this pic is a different car!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the diagram, what purpose does that piece serve?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your looking for the heat or sound dampener? didnt know they were used, im sure you can find some aftermarket matting.

Last edited by freakasis; 12-29-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dpetro1
thanks for the diagram, what purpose does that piece serve?
I personally don't think it did very much, but it was supposed to help keep engine noise down. You could always go custom and buy some sound dead material yourself though.

Here's one more pic from my crx hood to show the actual part we are talking about
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 AM
S_F
Honda-Tech Member

Dynamat makes a hood liner and so do many other companies. They are cheaper than regular dynamat by a considerable margin and will surely work better than that thing in the picture.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
H-T White Ops

My understanding about the hood insulators is that in the event of an engine fire the tabs holding them on are supposed to melt and the insulator falls over the engine, smothering the fire.

I've never heard much about them keeping noise down, but it probably does at least a tiny bit.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
My understanding about the hood insulators is that in the event of an engine fire the tabs holding them on are supposed to melt and the insulator falls over the engine, smothering the fire.
now, i havent seen any studies...but i really doubt that is gonna happen. that would be like closing your chimney and expecting the fire to out in your fireplace. its still gonna get air from the underside and through the front bumper.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
H-T White Ops

now, i havent seen any studies...but i really doubt that is gonna happen. that would be like closing your chimney and expecting the fire to out in your fireplace. its still gonna get air from the underside and through the front bumper.
Nope. The information is out there. You do have the internet too.

Here's the best information I could find with a short search. I wanted to try not to include forum posts as "evidence", though I did see a post on a Mustang forum where a guy said the hood insulator saved his buddy's car when he was driving the car at the track.

The following test involved 20 vehicles of different makes.

http://www.mvfri.org/Contracts/Final...Insulation.pdf

Originally Posted by Cone Calorimeter Testing of Under Hood Insulation by Authors: Ed Fournier & Tim Bayne
Given that fire resistant under hood insulating panels were identified amongst the small sample of vehicles examined, the possibility of the panels acting as a fire blanket and smothering an engine fire is feasible. However, the effectiveness of such a system can not be determined strictly from the component tests that were performed. Ultimately, the typical temperatures of an engine compartment fire need to be lower than the flaming temperature of the insulation and higher than the melting temperature for the mounting clips. Simulated engine compartment fires are needed to determine the actual effectiveness of a fire resistive panel at smothering a fire.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice, and thanks for looking that up. but all they did was test the flamibility of the insulators themselves, not whether or not they can put out a fire. and the people conducting the tests knew that (based on reading that paragraph). i will have to research this later, i gotta go to work now.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2003 accord engine caught fire (some dummy spilled oil in the exhaust manifold)

anyways, that liner did not put out the fire, instead it just helped it spread when it caught fire.

so i dont see the liners being put there for that reason
Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
H-T White Ops

From what I can tell at least some are meant to put out or lessen some engine fires. It doesn't mean all will protect from all fires.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...51-post14.html
Originally Posted by CragarShinoda from AllFordMustangs.com
There are around 9 plastic push pins that hold it on. Past that, remove the nut taht bolts the ground lead onto the body and it will come right off. Before you do though, let me tell you why Ford puts the hood insulator on the cars. It is not to remove heat at all. Though it may reduce the chances (Very slightly) of hood discoloration, it was not intended for that reason either. Let me bring you back to 4 years ago. I was racing at Bristol in a friends Cobra when... BAM!!! N2O backfire at about half track. The engine bay ignited and the hood was flaming. By the time that the car was pulled off the track the fire was out. I thought that the motor was shot, but believe it or not it was as good as new (once we replaced all of the components that the throttle bottle blew up). The only thing that was destroyed by the fire was the hood insulator. When the fire ignited the plastic push pins melted and the insulator fell onto the engine smothering the fire. I thought that this was just the good Lord looking over me, but after doing research and asking some very high ups at SVT, Ford, and Team Mustang I found out that the insulator was designed for just that reason. Saved my friend's motor and possibly my life. Just keep that in mind.