Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following.....

I have an oppertunity to buy this car, the seller says that it has the following.... also it is a 92 Hatch CX with around 85,000 miles on the chasis and 15,000 miles on the engine and parts. He originally wanted 10,000 but right now is willing to let it go for $8,500

Under The Hood:

-MUGEN Valve Cover

-B18 C1

-JE Pistons 82mm

-CROWER Rods

-FERREA Valves Springs and Retainers

-Balance and Blue Printed by ARI

-Port and Polish Head by Extreme Heads

-COMETIC Head Gasket .9 mm

-EDELBROCK Intake Manifold

-John Brown Racing (JBR) Engine Management Program

-APEXI V-AFC Air Fuel Control

-APEXI Turbo timer

-GREDDY Boost controller

-RC Engineering Injectors (370cc)

-AEM Fuel Rail

-VORTEC Fuel Management Unit (12:1)

-AEROMOTIVE Fuel Pressure Regulator with B&M Gauge

-Drag Exhaust Manifold Matched Ported

-Custom 3” mandrel bended exhaust from down pipe to Muffler

-HKS T Muffler

-T3/T4 TURBO 60-1 with a .63 back housing

-Turbonetics Delta gate Waste gate

-Custom Chrome Intercooler Piping

-Sparco Intercooler

-HKS Super Sequential Blow off Valve

-MSD Ignition and Blaster Coil

-Clutch Net Disc and Pressure Plate Stage 4

-Limited Slip Differential

-B&M Sort Shifter, Type R Shift ****

-Energy Suspension Bushings (shifter)

-Urethane Engine Mounts

-Larger oil filter Relocated

-B&M Oil Cooler

-Tuned By Steven Thompson

Did 380 FWHP @ 18 Psi (Bad traction problems) then was down tuned at 319 FWHP @ 11 Psi.

Stiff Stuff:

-H&R Full Coil over Set Up

-Type R strut tower bars (front and rear)

-GSR Sway bars

-GSR Lower Control Arms (Front and Rear)

Stoppers:

-AEM Big Brake Kit 12” Front, 11” Rear

-GSR Brake Calipers with EBC Green pads (Front and Rear)

-GSR Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Rollers:

-Rota Racing Slipstreams (16x8), 205/45/R16 Nitto Extreme drag radials Front, 205/45/ZR16 Ventus Rear

Outside:

-Spoon sports Rear Carbon Fiber Duck Tail wing

-VS Vented Carbon Fiber Hood

-APC M3 rear view mirrors

-APC Black Projectors Head Lights

-Custom Smoked Rear Tail Lights

Inside:

-Red Racing Seats

-Jamex 3 Point Harness

-Silver Face EGT, BOOST, OIL Gauges

Vehicle Condition

This car is built into an extremely clean shelve. The best parts under the hood make this car the street machine you ever dream off.

INTERIOR

Excellent Overall Interior Condition:

-Seats

-Dashboard

-Door Panels

-Headliner

-Trunk and cargo area

-Carpet and floor mats in good condition

EXTERIOR

Good exterior condition:

-Glossy paint

-No Known Accidents
-No Known Bodywork

What are some things I should ask him about the car?
I live in Nebraska and the car is located in Florida so I would have to fly there and drive it back. Which I'm willing to do if the car is legit.

Also should I trust someone that all the internals are really in there or have been done, such as pistons, rods, and the port and polish being done? Sence I really won't be able to look and see if it has been done.

I just don't want to get screwed and it be a car with lots wrong with it.

and help would be greatly appriciated, thanks!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (Rollex)

this all depends on what you are looking for. Personaly I like to do all of my own work, but this car IS ready to go, and probably extremely fast. I would do a leakdown test, test drive it, and have it taken into a shop and have a multipoint done. The only reason I say bring it to a shop for the multi-point is because they have hoists and when it's up in the air you may notice something you didn't before. But overall 85,000 miles ain't even breaking in that car yet. But remember all that performance puts alot of stress on that car that wouldn't otherwise be there
Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (dogfood)

Well sence I live in Nebraska and the car is in Florida I won't be able to do all these tests while I'm down there. Would it be out of line for me to ask the seller to have the tests done and then email them back to me?

Also should I ask to see dyno papers?
And just by looking under the hood I wont be able to know if it does have the pistons, rods, port and polish, etc... Should I ask to see reciepts?

And if he has dyno papers saying it does make the power he claims, would it be safe to assume that all the internals are there?

I just don't want to fly all the way down there just to end up dissapointed and not buy the car, and if I do buy it I don't want to later be dissapointed and find out that I got ripped off.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$8500 is a lot of cash. you would be foolish to spend that kind of cash without protecting yourself. buying this with no professional inspection would be like ordering the Ebay powerchip. dont be cheap, spend the cash. protect your money!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (Huggy Bear)

tell him to throw in 3 thousand and then it'll be a deal
Old 07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (Huggy Bear)

i've heard of some long distance sales going sour, be very careful and also have some fellow h-t'ers check out the car, no need to fly the whole way there to find a car with rust and an engine thats thrown in the car halfway and parts sitting on one seat, car on blocks and a stolen vehicle...

Old 07-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well receipts are a requirement cause who knows if he is running stock pistons or what not but hey i doubt he is since he is running 3XX whp. just check for the basics and as dogfood said you should do a compression/leak down test. it'd be best if you take it to the shop and have them lift it up but you can always jack up the car when you get there but doing it at the shop is more effective. be patient don't rush check every spot it is your 8500 after all.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:09 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (egb18turbo)

See if you can find a reputable mechanic in the seller's area, to look at it for you when you get there.

Don't let the seller do it for you, he could just take it to a buddy's shop.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (rochesterricer)

I think youll eventually regret not building the car yourself.

On the other hand your checkbook will be much happier buying an allready built car.

Just remember to ask for lots of pictures of everything...work the seller a little bit see if he comes through for you.

Lots of Luck!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (RangerDan)

Thanks for all the help guys

I have seen pictures and of course they look good or I wouldn't want to buy the car. So theres no way I should buy the car unless 1. he has all receipts for parts and dyno papers and 2. A compression/leak down test is done?

I know it would be much funner to build the car myself, but it's so much cheaper to buy a car with everything that I want done to it already done. And of course I still can add more.

If theres anything else that anyone thinks I should do please let me know. I really would not want to regret buying it.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 AM

How many pics have you seen?

The last car I bought over the net I had the guy send 40 plus pics. Just pics of the car at every angle, close-ups what not.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (RangerDan)

sounds like a good deal man!!
post some pics first of u got any??
Old 07-02-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (ek4hatch)

thats a good deal for a boosted built GSR hatch. like someone said earlier, have a local HT-er go check it out first for you so u can get a second opinion of the condition its in. then if all checks out, fly out and take it to a reputable shop to have it looked at. this will give u some protection and assurance before u take off with it. take a good test drive to make sure all is working right. dont totally beat on it, but owner shouldnt mind u getting on it decently to make sure its running good under load.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (boostin4drcivic)

Sounds like a good deal. Just make sure you check everything and make sure works properly. Good luck ******!

What part of Florida is this car located at? If Gainesville or Jacksonville there is a few shops around there with good shops that can help you check this **** out. Or just ask a H-T member to help you also (That's in FL)
Old 07-02-2004, 07:32 AM
JwM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (DixieRedneck)

Yeah, where @ in FL... I know of a few places in my area that would take a look at it for you... Probably for free too... Anyway, good luck on the car!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (MaboroshiNinja)

im in orlando (central florida) and i would be able to have a few ppl too look at it so ud have even more reasurance.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (EjCiViC)

I've seen around 12 pics of the car, I think I probably should ask to see more tho, sence they do not cover every angle of the car. I would post them but I don't have anywhere to host them. I do have the ebay link but I would rather not post that because I wouldn't want the guy to start getting a bunch of emails.

In the auction description it says it is located in Boyton Beach. At this time I'm not sure where in Florida that is. Another thing that I am concerned about is that this car was on ebay before, only last time I was out bid. At the recent auction I was the high bidder but reserve was not met. So then he started sending me emails, and now were trying to make a deal.

But I'm wondering if the last time it was on ebay did the buyer back out? or did he check out the car and find and it isn't working like it should? Also the time before when it was on ebay the car was located in Palm Beach. It is still the same seller though.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 AM

It's Boynton Beach and its like south of west palm north of lauderdale, im over in tampa bay area so its too far for me... gl with this
Old 07-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (g0ni)

be very careful man, and don't just send money, are you picking the car up or having it shipped? i sure hope your going to check it out first
Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following..... (stingray2772)

I'm going to fly down there and drive it back if I buy, shipping would cost close to $1000 I was told which is too much. And if I were to fly down and the car was not what I thought it was going to be, I definantly would not buy it, and I guess it would be a huge waste of time and money.

I'm just trying to avoid a bad deal at all costs and do everything I can to prevent it. I will not send money first. I wont fly down there unless I first see some papers first along with some more pics.

If there is anyone that lives near where the seller lives and would not mind checking it out that would be great and I would really appriciate it. I realize that no one is going to want to drives a few hours to check this car out, but maybe if someone lives in the area.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:49 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bring some octane booster with you. Just in case you are only able to get crappy gas in between there and home.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM

with 8500 i will start my own project its more fun and u will really know whats inside of it, plus it will be build by your own taste not someone else's taste,, thats just the way i see it
Old 07-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (crzymine03)

If it's Boyton Beach I don't remember if theres any places there. You can drive it up to places in Tampa or Orlando. Just ask some Florida people about the area. I was born there but that place sucks so I doubt theres any good shops there.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rollex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rollers:

-Rota Racing Slipstreams (16x8), 205/45/R16 Nitto Extreme drag radials Front, 205/45/ZR16 Ventus Rear </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, 16x8 slips....i'll have to get my hands on a set of those.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

build up your own car dude

Quick Reply: Do you think $8500 is a good deal for the following.....