Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

do you actually tune your own civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you actually tune your own civic?

or do you pay someone else to install and tune performance parts on your car? for example what have you done?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (frostcivic)

I've never done a single modification to my Civic ever.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or do you pay someone else to install and tune performance parts on your car? </TD></TR></TABLE>

NO WAY...nobody here does their OWN work
Old 06-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (jaydogg80)

come on.......so you're telling me you guys have never installed an intake before?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Uh, is this a joke??? Have you read ANYTHING that has been posted here???
Old 06-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">come on.......so you're telling me you guys have never installed an intake before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope.. i dont even wash my own car let alone install stuff on it.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:41 PM

i install the parts that i can. if i dont have the tools or ability (i.e. welding) ill usually pay somebody to do it.

and i only dyno tune, so yeah i pay someone to do that. i dont trust street tuning.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydogg80)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydogg80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uh, is this a joke??? Have you read ANYTHING that has been posted here??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

of course i've read a lot of the information throughout this board, especially the archived stuff, don't be so quick on your jump to conclusions mat. but i was wondering how many people actually do the work and get their hands dirty themselves, you know besides paying the local shop to swap their engine and install and tune their turbos. don't get me wrong i know a few people here like the diy's but i would like to read who actually does and who doesn't do it themselves.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:48 PM

Well apparently you haven't looked very thoroughly because that kind of information is EVERYWHERE here on H-T
Old 06-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll say this:

There are many people who do their own work here, but the level at which they do the work varies.

Some people have done ground-up build-ups that include the complete teardown and rebuild of the chassis, engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.

Some people have done engine swaps and a lot of big jobs without ever tearing engines and trannies apart.

Some people have done all the bolt-ons stuff and never tried an engine swap.

Some people pay to have all of their mods performed.

I won't say any of these are better than the other, because not everyone has the necessary time, tools, or know-how to perform daunting tasks such as swaps, engine/tranny builds, etc. or even the smaller stuff like an intake.

I see both sides every day because I work at a shop. I personally have built my own engine and tranny (D16A6 and Zc/Si tranny in my beater) and have done a complete teardown and rebuild of my 1992 CX chassis (with lots of help from a few friends and co-workers because I'm a lazy bitch) and I've done so only because I'm fortunate to have he tools, the time, the lifts, and the good people around me to make sure I don't mess something important up, such as when I built the engine and tranny.

I also see the guys who will pay my shop to build their cars. Of course there will always be the asshats who have nice cars only because their mommy and daddy paid for it, but there are also some really nice enthusiasts who simply don't have the time to build their cars. I won't fault a guy for asking us to install his clutch, because quite honestly I'd rather not do one at home in my garage either.

I'm rambling...

Old 06-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (frostcivic)

hahaha...damn this is funny. im sure everyone on this website does pretty much all of their own work. their hands have all seen dirt and grease and countless hours of working on their cars. the only things that i dont do myself are electrical jobs, i.e. vafc, ecu's, wiring, blah blah.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (B18C5-EH2)

tom always gets the from me
Old 06-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (anothersickhatch)

i do my own work. this way i know what i've done to it. with something big i let my friends do it or help me out. i cannot trust my friends because they lose my tools and motor parts such as screws, bolts, nuts, etc.

your best bet is a reputable shop or do it YOURSELF if you know how.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (handa)

i do my own work,the only way to know your car is to work on it yourself. but like tom said, not everyone has the time/tools/knowledge sometimes...which i can respect.....as long as it is done right.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydogg80)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydogg80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well apparently you haven't looked very thoroughly because that kind of information is EVERYWHERE here on H-T</TD></TR></TABLE>

you really pressume alot of things, i don't recall going on here saying nobody does their own work you need to shut up and keep stupid pressumptions to yourself.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I won't fault a guy for asking us to install his clutch, because quite honestly I'd rather not do one at home in my garage either.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are times when i wish i didnt have to do my own ****, little things like clutches and motor swaps id rather pay somebody, hasnt happend yet cus im a poor mexican

but aside from that, until i win the lottery i enjoy doing my own buildups and turbo swapings and fixing blown headgaskets. when i do this i know for dam sure my car wont leak out the cam seal which is one of my biggest pet pieves.

i to work at a shop but i dont look down at all who come in to have work done. some are just lazy, some spoiled and most of our customers trust our work which is why they come to us.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (kyosoeg6)

Work on a car? And get dirty? No thanks.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (Ricey McRicerton)

hahaha i know. getting dirty? how old do you think we are?! like three or something???
Old 06-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the first time i will actually be messing with my car.. replacing oil pump,bearings,water pump,timing belt, valve seals.

All i have really did so far was all of my bolt ons and suspension.

Its gonna get diiiirrrtttyyyy!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 06:33 PM

I do everything that I can with the tools that I have. So that means tune ups, oil changes, shock and strut upgrades, brakes, etc. I don't have as much time as I used to have and I don't have an extra car so I'm paying for more than I used to. When I was young and poorer I overhauled an engine one time, regularly did my own clutches. If the job can be done easily on a Saturday I'll try it, but if it might have complications, well then I might pay someone. The bottom line is, if I do the job, I'm quite confident it will be done right and all the bolts will be tight again. When I'm living somewhere where I have a lot of confidence in my mechanic, then I find I give him work. When I've lived places and couldn't find a good mechanic, well then I've done more of my own work. So it kind of depends.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

90% of the people on this site do their own work. The other 10% read it to get ideas for what they want to pay to have done to their cars.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (BauleyCivic)

I do all my own work because i don't trust anyone. I firmly believe that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do all my own work because i don't trust anyone. I firmly believe that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree the one thing i wont go into by my self would be motor tear down, ( well i could handle that) but puting it back together thats a difference story. if i had some one who was willing to sit down work with and show me how to do every thing then ya id do it my self.

everythign else i do do my self, suspension (exeption of wheel bearing, i don't have a press, which is need), motor and tranny install's and removals. i purchased my roll bar and me and a buddy are installing it, sorry somthing like that i feel needs to be built by some one or a company that knows what they do.

also i wont paint. first off i don't have the skill secondly its not somthing that really bugs me so i know if i did do it i wouldn't put 100 percent effort into it, besides i can park my **** anywear and not worry about getting a door ding.

tom isn't afaird to show the door ding angle cause he has non, im not afaird to show it cause my car is 11 years old and the thing should have um and it does!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Default Re: do you actually tune your own civic? (JV)

I do all my own work. If I don't know how to do it, I research it to the point where I'm comfortable doing it (thanks to HT and Helms!) I couldn't let someone do my work. I get more out of accomplishing it myself than the fact that the work is actually done. I will use shops to weld or bend piping, and machine work etc.... anything I don't have access to....
Old 06-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or do you pay someone else to install and tune performance parts on your car? for example what have you done?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you care??

just wondering.

Quick Reply: do you actually tune your own civic?