Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do these bundle of wires have anything to do with my DLC not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do these bundle of wires have anything to do with my DLC not working?

I sent my car to a guy to perform an engine swap for me, he also installed a Rywire OBD1 engine harness for me. When I sent it in both the DLC and the Check engine light worked. When I got it back the Check engine light wouldn't come on even when I knew I was throwing a code. I took it to another shop and they replaced the bulb in the cluster and it still didn't work. They saw the bundle of cut wires by my ECU and pinpointed that as the culprit of my check engine light not illuminating. They reattached the proper wires and the Check engine light began to work.We didn't have the time to take care of all of the cut wires so I left it for later.

Now when I try to connect my OBD2 scanner to the DLC it's unable to read my ecu. Even though I have an obd1 harness I do have a obd1 to obd2a jumper harness, so it should be able to read my ecu but it doesn't. Even when I try to jump the blue dlc the check engine light doesn't blink. Does this bundle of cut wires have anything to do with it?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Do these bundle of wires have anything to do with my DLC not working?

Uh obd1 does not use the obd2 port. You converted to obd1 therefore, it will not work. Your setup is now consider as an obd1 car. Not obd2 like original.

Rywire have extra wires as aux so you can run extra sensor in the engine bay that way you do not need to run extra wires. Cleaner look.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do these bundle of wires have anything to do with my DLC not working?

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Uh obd1 does not use the obd2 port. You converted to obd1 therefore, it will not work. Your setup is now consider as an obd1 car. Not obd2 like original.

Rywire have extra wires as aux so you can run extra sensor in the engine bay that way you do not need to run extra wires. Cleaner look.
Thanks for the reply. However, that would explain why I wouldn't be able to use the port where an OBD2 scanner would hook up to. I can't even jump the blue connector to read the number of CEL flashes.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to read the code from the blue connector. Im not positive on why you cant.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The OBD1 blink code jumper is just one wire to the ECU and the other wire is ECU system ground. So that should not be hard to trace out with a schematic.

When the jumper is closed but there are no codes, the CEL should be on steady all the time the key is on whether or not the engine is running.