Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do I Need A Camber Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need A Camber Kit?

I plan on lowering my '99 Hatch with a H&R sports or Eibach Sportlines, what I want to know is, am I going to need a camber kit? I am running 205/40/17 tires, in the last 7 months, I have only driven the car 2000 kilometres, so does not see the road a lot.

Is it going to eat my tires quick if I don't purchase a camber kit?

Would I be able to run without a camber kit but get an alignment whenever it needs it?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (Daddy Yankee)

Not real sure how low that's going to put you but if it's not too low then you should be fine with an alignment.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (DSeriesBKilla)

H&R's you probably wont need an camber kit. Sportlines you MIGHT need a camber kit, depending if you like your negative camber because you will be off by 2 degrees in the back. I'm lowered a tad beyond the sportline's figure (around 2.1F,2.3R). My back camber is at least -2 right now but I like the improved handling. My front tire does have camber issues but that's because I never got an alignment to fix my toe.

Just make sure 100% you get an alignment and tell them to set your toe within factory specs. They'll tell you your camber is off but again, if you like negative camber, keep it. If not, get a kit.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daddy Yankee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it going to eat my tires quick if I don't purchase a camber kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it will, if youre going to do somethign do it right.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (MikeD718)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeD718 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it will, if youre going to do somethign do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necessarily, my friend's accord has been lowered on H&R sports for over one and a half year and he has no camber issues what so ever. He did get an alignment and have his toe corrected to spec.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:43 PM

I dropped my civic with the Pro-kit Eibach springs and it threw my camber way off so if you do the eibach ones you will probably need a camber kit also my car dropped about 1.5 inches
Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (1.6 vtec civic)

I always recommend a camber kit no matter what. I have one and my tires wear perfectly even. It is definttly worth it. I mean its like getting a turbo kit with out a blow off valve, You dnt NEED one but it helps the life and performance of the setup. Also i just hate seeing cars that are lowered and they look like they are riding on the inside of the rim.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:37 PM

Just keep an eye on how your tires are wearing down.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always recommend a camber kit no matter what. I have one and my tires wear perfectly even. It is definttly worth it. I mean its like getting a turbo kit with out a blow off valve, You dnt NEED one but it helps the life and performance of the setup. Also i just hate seeing cars that are lowered and they look like they are riding on the inside of the rim.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it's not really like that at all because it's not the camber that causes the tires to wear unevenly as much as it is the TOE.

Get and alignment and you are set.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daddy Yankee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I plan on lowering my '99 Hatch with a H&R sports or Eibach Sportlines, what I want to know is, am I going to need a camber kit? I am running 205/40/17 tires, in the last 7 months, I have only driven the car 2000 kilometres, so does not see the road a lot.

Is it going to eat my tires quick if I don't purchase a camber kit?

Would I be able to run without a camber kit but get an alignment whenever it needs it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't need a camber kit. Once the springs are installed, take the car to an alignment shop and have them set the toe to the center of the factory specified range. You should not have any significant uneven tire wear afterwards.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit?

Im gonna say that you dont need a camber kit as well. My car has been dropped 2.5 inches for over 30,000 miles and the tires im using are just now starting to show signs of wear. Just get an alignment like everyone is saying and you will be set. Its the toe that really eats away at your tires, not so much the camber.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you use sportlines you WILL need a camber kit ..
I went through a NEW set of tires in about 1000 miles after i put mine on
Old 10-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd guess no, but it will definately need a 4-wheel alignment to correct the toe. Toe will be changed when you lower the car too, so get it right and I doubt you'll have enough negative camber to waer the tires unevenly.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ares_ice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you use sportlines you WILL need a camber kit ..
I went through a NEW set of tires in about 1000 miles after i put mine on</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you even bother to have the toe set though?

You guys screaming "you must get a camber kit!" are killing me! I do alignments here at my shop and even with -1.5 and sometimes -2.0 degrees of camber up front cars rarely wear the inside edge of the tire enough to worry about as long as the toe is set straight.

A 1.5 drop will NOT warrant a camber kit if you get the toe right - PERIOD! For the guy who said he ruined tires with a 1.5 drop, well you just didn't know that you have to fix the toe in order to not wear tires like ****.

Also this is from first-hand experience too. I run -1.8 degrees of camber up front on my daily driven EF hatch and my toe is dead on, and after driving on these tires like this for months there is absolutely NO abnormal wear.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd guess no, but it will definately need a 4-wheel alignment to correct the toe. Toe will be changed when you lower the car too, so get it right and I doubt you'll have enough negative camber to waer the tires unevenly.

You guys screaming "you must get a camber kit!" are killing me! I do alignments here at my shop and even with -1.5 and sometimes -2.0 degrees of camber up front cars rarely wear the inside edge of the tire enough to worry about as long as the toe is set straight.

A 1.5 drop will NOT warrant a camber kit if you get the toe right - PERIOD! For the guy who said he ruined tires with a 1.5 drop, well you just didn't know that you have to fix the toe in order to not wear tires like ****.

Also this is from first-hand experience too. I run -1.8 degrees of camber up front on my daily driven EF hatch and my toe is dead on, and after driving on these tires like this for months there is absolutely NO abnormal wear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, im sorry i didnt think about that. I got my toe set a few months after the drop and it helped keep the tires around a bit longer but i still got some serious camber wear, i eventually just had everything bent... (bad idea)
Old 10-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd guess no, but it will definately need a 4-wheel alignment to correct the toe. Toe will be changed when you lower the car too, so get it right and I doubt you'll have enough negative camber to waer the tires unevenly.

Also this is from first-hand experience too. I run -1.8 degrees of camber up front on my daily driven EF hatch and my toe is dead on, and after driving on these tires like this for months there is absolutely NO abnormal wear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is right on the money, screw the camber kit, a little negative camber actually assists you in turns.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Do I Need A Camber Kit? (Ares_ice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ares_ice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok, im sorry i didnt think about that. I got my toe set a few months after the drop and it helped keep the tires around a bit longer but i still got some serious camber wear, i eventually just had everything bent... (bad idea)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey man I'm not trying to bastardize this topic by arguing with you, but if your new tires wore out whtin 1000 miles of use and your toe was dead on then you have some serious issues more serious than any camber achieved from a 2 inch drop. I'd say your balljoints are probably demolished or you have some bent suspension components or something.

A drop of 2.2 inches or so from a Sportline kit might get the camber up front to -1.8 or -2.2 or something like that. *IF* the toe was in fact right on the money, then there's no way in hell the tires would wear the inside edge after just 1000 miles of use.

Something is not adding up. Either you're forgetting something, or the facts are being misrepresented. I think the toe and mileage might be the items that are confused here...