Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

do i have factory remote keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i have factory remote keyless entry?

I have a 98' Civic EX and I was in the market for an aftermarket keyless entry but most of them have alarms as well. I didn't want an alarm so I finally found one with just the keyless entry feature and the guy said like $150 installed. Since I have an EX model which has power windows, power locks, power sunroof standard. Wouldn't it make sense that it had keyless remote entry as a standard feature. The reason I ask is because my buddy with a 2000 SI has a keyless entry key fob. So..... if i do have it can't i just buy a remote and program it?????
Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Default Re: do i have factory remote keyless entry? (aznlaoboi315)

i have a 98 ex, and it has keyless entry, but when i took out the factory radio, it stopped working... i think the "brain box" for it is part of the radio, but i'm not 100% sure...
Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

'96-'00 USDM Civic EX and Si coupes and sedans have standard keyless entry from the factory.

For the '96-'98 EX coupes and sedans, if you remove the factory radio you will also be removing the keyless entry brain.

If you have keyless entry and no fob, all you need is the fob. A lot of places sell two at once.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">'96-'00 USDM Civic EX and Si coupes and sedans have standard keyless entry from the factory.

For the '96-'98 EX coupes and sedans, if you remove the factory radio you will also be removing the keyless entry brain.

If you have keyless entry and no fob, all you need is the fob. A lot of places sell two at once.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so i need to aquire a factory radio. will any 96-98 factory radio work with the key fobs or will need a radio from an EX model?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (aznlaoboi315)

Not just any radio will work. The one you need has a black plastic looking antenna the goes across the back.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it true that you need a code for the radio? I have one out of an hx (also keyless entry ready) that I am parting but I dont even know what the code would be or if it had one set.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Hittnthebz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hittnthebz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it true that you need a code for the radio? I have one out of an hx (also keyless entry ready) that I am parting but I dont even know what the code would be or if it had one set.</TD></TR></TABLE>
'96-'98 radios don't need codes. '99-'00 do though.

If you need the code, you'll need to go to your Honda dealership with the serial number from the radio. Some might want proof of you owning the car it came in, but it's unlikley.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

according to this link http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic98.html

The HX & LX models can have the keyless entry fobs programmed to them as long as the factory radio is retained. That being said must mean that the following radios have the keyless entry receivers built into them.

96'-98' EX, LX, & HX
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
'96-'98 radios don't need codes. '99-'00 do though.

If you need the code, you'll need to go to your Honda dealership with the serial number from the radio. Some might want proof of you owning the car it came in, but it's unlikley.</TD></TR></TABLE>

great info NOFX thanks alot
Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 97 ex coupe and a suggestion for you is that the factory 96-98 head unit is ugly and a waste of space(due to the fact that it utilizes two din spots upper and lower). So what you could do to get keyless entry and not be stuck with the factory radio is get a din block off plate take the faceplate off the factory headunit so you can jam it in the dash and out of site(but still functional for keyless entry) and get the specially made harness to keep power going to it and your aftermarket radio. This is what i did when i found out about the control unit being in the head unit, although i used a 99-00 si radio instead of aftermarket(Yes they do need codes!).
Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats a good idea. Something to think about.

OP, if you need a stock radio.....I have the one from a 97 hx so all you would need to do is buy the fobs. lmk if you need the radio tho.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To make this work without routing it through an alarm brain, you need a 96-00 Civic HX/LX/EX radio. Removing the faceplate can damage the ribbon that connects the controls to the motherboard.

PS - Your floor mats are the AIDS.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznlaoboi315 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">according to this link http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic98.html

The HX & LX models can have the keyless entry fobs programmed to them as long as the factory radio is retained. That being said must mean that the following radios have the keyless entry receivers built into them.

96'-98' EX, LX, & HX </TD></TR></TABLE>
Search for "trim differences" on this site. That thread has a lot of info for you.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killercannible &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 97 ex coupe and a suggestion for you is that the factory 96-98 head unit is ugly and a waste of space(due to the fact that it utilizes two din spots upper and lower). So what you could do to get keyless entry and not be stuck with the factory radio is get a din block off plate take the faceplate off the factory headunit so you can jam it in the dash and out of site(but still functional for keyless entry) and get the specially made harness to keep power going to it and your aftermarket radio. This is what i did when i found out about the control unit being in the head unit, although i used a 99-00 si radio instead of aftermarket(Yes they do need codes!).</TD></TR></TABLE>
I already said they need codes ('99-'00s).

And the factory '96-'98 head unit does not take up two spots. If you have the factory radio it takes up ONE spot. If you have the optional cassette or CD players, then it takes up two because they're slaves off of the radio.

Removing the factory faceplate from the factory radio can and will leave you with a non working keyless system eventually. I know because I've seen it happen. Every time the battery dies or is disconnected, it will need to be pulled out of the back of the dash (which means removing dash panels) and reprogrammed by putting the faceplate back on. The faceplate and radio are not meant for this abuse and they have a tendency to die for whatever reasons.

We have three or more factory radios here if you need one OP.

If you want to get rid of the factory one or install a radio in the lower DIN slot, Honda makes a factory block off plate for the CX. Don't get fooled into thinking this is just a JDM part. It costs about $20 tops.

If you want to install an Si radio or some other newer stock radio, you will likely need the plug to it too. It will not fit our factory harness and will need to be wired in.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM
PJ
Honda-Tech Member

Some good info here! So has anyone managed to "remove" the keyless components from their 96-98 radio and install another OE radio while retaining keyless (and not having to reset it everytime the battery is disconnected)?

I bought a 94-97 Integra single-DIN CD player (as I was told the plugs match 96-98 Civic exactly) but I do not want to give up my keyless because I'm lazy. A local guys says he can do it but he is hard to get a hold of and I'd rather do it myself if someone can guide me! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (PJ)

I'd think you'd have to remove the controller (which poses it's own problems) and then fabricate some sort of protective housing for it and manage to make a harness for it that supplies power.

What a pain in the ***.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember my 96 EX.. I had to jam the stock radio behind the dash when putting my new headunit in just so I could keep the factory keyless. I got an aftermarket alarm afterwards and took the stock radio out.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (killercannible)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killercannible &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And ewe what radar detector is that, looks pretty sorry, looks like the way its sitting it bakes in the sun too... Replace it with something that will actually save you Passport, upper level Bels, or a V1

Sorry offtopic, but just caught my attention, kinda a radar/lidar nut.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:05 PM
PJ
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd think you'd have to remove the controller (which poses it's own problems) and then fabricate some sort of protective housing for it and manage to make a harness for it that supplies power.

What a pain in the ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha sure sounds like it. I guess I have to keep the GD stock HU if I want keyless to work properly with the Teg CD player. Maybe I should have just gotten the aux 96-98 CD player.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Re: (PJ)

Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (seanyboy)

I have a 96-98 Stock headunit with a keyfob if you want one. Great condition, and I changed the backlit color to amber. Seen here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1186091

Let me know if you want it.