Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

do i have Cut springs? PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i have Cut springs? PLEASE READ

i bought the car of somebody with it already lowered. the drivers side front sits about an inch lower and makes a terrible squeakin noise that no one can figure out what it is. i have skunk 2 upper control arms, kyb struts, and new upper and lower strut mounts(bushings).

very loud anoying squeak happens when i drive down the road at any speed with and with out brakes.. sometimes less without the brakes. And it really sqeaks bad when turnin the wheel from 0 to 10 degress to the left and 0 to 5 degrees to the right.

Also under the hood where the top of the struts lay.. on the drivers side.. even though it sits lower then the pass side.. the strut has about 3 threads sticking out where as the pass side has about 5 or so threads noticable.( hard to explain but most will know what i mean) (where struts are bolted down with a nut .. the threads that show..)

could cut springs be the cuplrit? the rest of the car is fine. no squeaks or anything. should i just buy new springs? Also every time the front end is "fixed" the squeak goes away for about a week then comes back. for example... changed the upper control arms.. went away ..came back. then changed the struts... went away .. came back. then changed to skunk 2 arms and the oem bushings..went away ..came back.. wtf.

and the stock dust boot cover or whatever is kinda smased up the strut? would that cause any squeaking? i have pics if needed.. the strut( not the part that moves in and out.. but the actual cylinder part has bad scrathes on it.. where did they come from?) do u think the springs touch the struts. or did before i had the camber kit? i think im just gonna take it off. i read in a couple threads that u dont need it. i would think u do but if it stops the squeakin then hell..ill do it. its so embarrassing having a real nice car.. but when u drive it squeaks. i read many threads but couldnt find any answers. hopefully someone can give me some help.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i have Cut springs? PLEASE READ (honda95civic)

It's not the dust boot. The dust boot would make a whispering kind of sound like psshh pssshhh pshhh pssshhh (I know becuase i bent the **** out of one doing a brake job... <--short temper ). I too have the same squeaking.... doesnt sound as bad as yours.... mine is just every now and again. Check all of your control arm bushings front and rear. They're probably corroded like mine (i need to swap em out but I also need a thing called $$$ to do that).
Old 07-09-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: do i have Cut springs? PLEASE READ (spyderracing32)

i have brand new upper control arms(skunk 2 camber kit) with new upper and lower oem strut mount bushings.

can someone send me a link to a diagram of a front drivers side suspension. it will help me pin point my problem.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: do i have Cut springs? PLEASE READ (honda95civic)

anyone help me???
Old 07-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u dont know ur stuff
free estimates at many shops
just bring it by
:thumbsup:
Old 07-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (otakueric)

have you tried having a good thorough alignment done on the car? can't you just look at the springs yourself and see if they are cut? it shouldn't be difficult to tell if someone has taking a hacksaw to em.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (burningwrek)

did each side one by one to change out struts and camber kit. yes i have a very good alignment. and the springs looked as if they were once red and then coated in black rubber ****. ?? beats me
Old 07-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (honda95civic)

go to a junk yard and snag some stock ones for cheap and see if that fixes it
Old 07-11-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (burningwrek)

i dont think its the springs...

i lifted the car.. turned the wheel..no squeak...

when its on the ground and the wheel turns.. it sounds like dry rotted rubber or metal touching.

it sounds like an a- arm or the arm that is right behind the brake. i have aem disc brakes is that means anything but is coming from right around this area. i lubed everything up.. but im gonna let it soak in for a little.

i dont know if the sway bar has anything to do wit it either..

and also.. i had my power steering disconnected for a while.. would that have anything to do with it?. its hooked back up now