Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do any of you suffer from a spongy brake pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you suffer from a spongy brake pedal?

Hello HT. I'm well aware that there are threads about spongy brake pedals, but I felt like asking our current members about this. Since the day I first drove my Honda (about 3 years ago, I'm young lol), I've been having to deal with a spongy brake pedal. Just yesterday, I finished up doing a rear disc conversion on my '99 civic hatchback I pulled the trailing arms, prop valve, and the brake master cylinder off a '00 Si, so everything dropped in just fine. I obviously bled the brakes in the correct sequence (farthest from the Master to the closest). However, this time I decided to use a Vacuum brake bleeder (which is awesome) that connects to an air compressor. I was extremely confident that this would cure my spongy brake pedal. I always felt like I was doing something wrong in the past by doing the 2 man brake bleed method. I was shocked that my pedal was STILL spongy. I don't have a bench vise, but I still bench bled my Master cylinder by using a screw driver and some hoses that go back into the master.

It's been awhile since I've driven an older Honda (Most of my friends are picking up newer Civics), so I can't really compare the feel of my brake pedal to any other car. I did some test stops yesterday, and sometimes my brakes won't even lock up when slamming the brake. I remember when I first picked up my drilled and slotted rotors a few months back, and the brakes would stop quick! 2 weeks and a few rainy days later, my brakes weren't grabbing so good and my right caliper was getting stuck.

I seriously feel like my spongy brake pedal will be something that i'll always have to deal with. I mean, the car will stop okay throughout normal driving, but there might be a time when I'll really have to depend on my brakes. How many of you have been dealing with this? Or, are there any of you with a firm brake pedal that immediately slows down your car?

If any of you have any tips for a spongy brake pedal, that would be awesome. I'm sure that I removed at least 99% of air from the system. I'm not sure what else to do from here.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do any of you suffer from a spongy brake pedal?

Replace all flexible brake hoses.
If problem persists look at your master cylinder next.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ejv8s10
Replace all flexible brake hoses.
If problem persists look at your master cylinder next.
Would you recommend stainless steel brake lines? I heard those will not flex under extreme heat and that it really improved pedal feel. However, I also heard these lines are pointless for daily driving and are only good for racing applications lol
Old 04-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_ek_noob
Would you recommend stainless steel brake lines?
Yes, they are an excellent choice.
They do work better than stock, and are NOT pointless for daily driving.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Spongy pedal crew checking in, 93 Del-sol Si.

Brakes were fine when i got the car and got worse and worse as the MC went. Replaced the MC and bled the ferk out of everything still spongy. I also am debating on SS vs rubber lines.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejv8s10
Yes, they are an excellent choice.
They do work better than stock, and are NOT pointless for daily driving.
Actual tests have shown a very minor (read: insignificant) change by going from a healthy, new rubber line to a new braided line. There's also another problem with braided lines - if they are the cheaper, uncoated type, then dust and dirt can get trapped between the braided steel and the rubber. Once it's in there, it'll rub a hole in a brake line, and then you'll end up with a ruptured line and no warning.

If you're going to get stainless lines, get GOOD stainless lines that are fully rubber coated.

If your brakes are soft, the first step is a full flush. While you're doing that, check for leaks from and around the calipers, and inspect the lines. If there are any signs of serious aging (stretching, bubbling, creasing, dry rot), replace them.