Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY valve removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY valve removal/installation

well after a while of traveling looking for a good place to do the head work for me, but resulting with over rate prices just to switch ONE freaking intake valve on my y8 head i decided to do it myself...any one out there can give me some good detailed and maybe include pics of how to remove and install clyinder head valves. Thanks would much appriciate it!!!!

--i read the haynes manual and i just think its not giving much info on how to really do it, pretty much rushes through it.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY valve removal/installation (flipldls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flipldls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well after a while of traveling looking for a good place to do the head work for me, but resulting with over rate prices just to switch ONE freaking intake valve on my y8 head i decided to do it myself...any one out there can give me some good detailed and maybe include pics of how to remove and install clyinder head valves. Thanks would much appriciate it!!!!

--i read the haynes manual and i just think its not giving much info on how to really do it, pretty much rushes through it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's your problem. You have a Haynes. Throw that out and buy a Helms and you're all set The Haynes did help me alot but many times they seem to skip steps and the pictures are horrible. They can tell you to remove a certain bolt and show you a pic of the bolt, but they don't always tell you where the bolt is and the pic is nothing more than a pic of the bolt itself zoomed in without giving a pic of location of the bolt or whatever
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: DIY valve removal/installation (flipldls)

Head off the car of course, take a towel and fold it up, and stick it under the chamber you are working on.

Then go topside and take a socket, and place it over the retainer, and tap it with a hammer lightly. Then take the socket and simply push down on the retainer and let up slowly, and the keepers will unseat themselves. After that its smooth sailing, remove the spring and valve.

Inspect the valve stem for abnormal or harsh wear, which would indicate you need a new guide as well. Good time to replace the valve seals as well.