Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: RSX seats swapped into 94 ej1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: RSX seats swapped into 94 ej1

Hey HT first time posting but i have used this site many times for help.

I have searched and search for thread on installing rear leather rsx seat in my ej1 with no avail. So i figured i might as well throw this diy up for others that are struggling. If this is the wrong spot to post this please let me know or move it.

My cameras a little shitty sorry about the quality, and i dont have any pic of the install itself.<br/>

I pulled the seats from a 03 rsx at the local wreckers, all the seat were in pretty good shape besides the drivers bottom and outer bolster. $120 for all the seats.

The fronts have a lot of write ups so i try and make this short
It took a couple days to figure out how i wanted to bolt up the fronts, but i ended up drilling the rivets out of the rails holding the mounts on all but the flat mount on the rear inside of the seat. I cut and shaped new brackets, and then with them sitting on the hump and the seat in place i marked and drilled the holes. I tried to make the seats sit a little lower and a little more towards the rear of the car. I want to weld the brackets onto the rails eventually, but they are very solid as of now.

Some of the damage on the drivers seat<br/>

The ripped up drivers seat

Now to the rear<br/>

The rears are where i had to figure it out for myself, since everything i read online said rsx rears in the coupe doesnt work.

First i started out at the bottom. The rsx seat are much wider at the back but skinner at the front. I pushed the seat back as far as i could and marked what i need to cut out. I would rather cut up plastic trim then seats so i went this route.

Drivers side

Passenger side

I didnt want the seat belt riding on the leather so i cut slits out for it to track through, and the belt stopped the seat from sitting back all the way. I also had to bend some of the frame in the cushion on both back corners to get rid of some of the over hang

I havent decided on what way to mount the front yet as the metal tabs that lock it in are more towards the center and straight on the rsx seats. For now i have them folded almost flush with the seat. I removed a little bit of foam from the front corners of the seat as well. The back mount was just bend untell it lined up with the existing hole.

This part made me a little nervous. The rsx rear seat top section was a good 4-5 inches wider and 2-3 shorter. This is when i almost believe the internet about this being impossible. But i said to hell with that i want some leather seat all around. I removed the seat pan from the rsx seats and my old back seat. The rsx being a two piece section and my old one a single piece. The mounts were way different, my old seats locked in to place right were the rsx seats split. I laid them on top of each other and traced were i had to cut. Manly the locking mount on the rsx seat had to go and they should fit. I hacked them off and about an inch off the back plate, i then folded the cut egde to prevent it ripping and cutting the seat. I put the pan back onto the seat and bolted they up one at a time. I had to squeezed the foam a little on both size to get them all the way back but they fit like a charm. You have to use the rsx hinge but they bolt right up.
I still have figured out how im going to lock the seats from folding but i cut the metal hook off my old seats i just have to line it up, mark it and weld it to the pans. Still debating welding the pans together.
Let me know what you think.

-chazz

Passenger front inside

Drivers front inside

Passenger rear outside

Last edited by egcivic775; 02-28-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: pics