Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY Oil Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Changes?

Is there a DIY for oil changes on here? I searched around this site and couldn't find one.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to be a dick or anything... but asking for a DIY on oil change is like asking for a DIY on how to put on your underwear.

pick up a helms... it will help greatly.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:24 PM

Out of every

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to be a dick or anything... but asking for a DIY on oil change is like asking for a DIY on how to put on your underwear.

pick up a helms... it will help greatly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e gee two)

you have got to be kidding me.

Jack up the car, loosen the oil pan nut, drain the old oil, change the oil filter, put the nut in the oil pan, re-fill the oil. DONE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e gee two)

Unscrew the drain bolt from the oil pan, reach up unscrew the filter, put new filter on replace drain bolt refill oil`` done~ DIY!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here i did a search for you:

http://www.team-integra.net/se...ID=75

same concept.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

lol.... second person to ask for one of these this week..... same person maybe?

one was asked to me through IM the other this thread. sad.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: DIY Oil Changes? (tdn4o8)

-Jack up car.
-Loosen & remove oil-pan drain plug (DO NOT DROP PLUG INTO COLLECTION FUNNEL)
-Let oil drain into container for several minutes (I prefer draining into a funnel & empty 5-gal laundry detergent bottle)
-Stuff several rags or paper towels just below oil-filter
-Loosen & remove oil filter with proper size wrench (rags should absorb oil spilling from filter)
-If no wrench is available, sand the surface of the oil-filter for hand loosening traction
-Remove rags & clean block & oil-filter mounting area with rags (make sure oil-filter gasket is not stuck to the block)
-Lightly lube gasket of new oil-filter with fresh oil
-Install new oil-filter & hand tighten
-Replace drain plug gasket with new one ($.30 from Honda, so buy a bunch)
-Install drain plug & tighten to recommended torque spec
-Fill engine with .5 quarts shy of proper amount of recommended lubricant
-Start engine & let idle for about 30 seconds
-Shut of engine & let sit for 1 minute
-Check oil-level dip-stick & add oil accordingly
-Return used motor oil to special recycling container at local auto-parts store (do not put in garbage)
Old 05-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: DIY Oil Changes? (94eg!)

I just got my first car, so I don't know much about it. Thanks for all the input. Will be changing oil later today
Old 05-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice quick DIY's there......but if you don't know how to do an oil change yet, and don't know anyone that could show you for your first time....take it somewhere and pay them.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (inspector01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspector01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice quick DIY's there......but if you don't know how to do an oil change yet, and don't know anyone that could show you for your first time....take it somewhere and pay them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't sound so hard. I'd rather do it myself so that I can learn.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspector01)

Changing oil should be done yourself. It's a good way to start to learn how to do your own wrenching.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek4o8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4o8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't sound so hard. I'd rather do it myself so that I can learn.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Oil Changes? (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Jack up car.
-If no wrench is available, sand the surface of the oil-filter for hand loosening traction
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotta remember this one. Its better than gutting it with a screw driver
Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99FBPSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99FBPSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Changing oil should be done yourself. It's a good way to start to learn how to do your own wrenching. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus you can be sure the oil and filter gets changed by doing it yourself. In the news recently a san diego jiffylube got in big trouble for only changing one or the other or in some cases niether.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-egb16a)

im teaching my gf's bro how to change his oil this weekend..should i make a DIY?..it will only be like 5 pic's lol...
Old 05-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteOut)

^^ I guess you could for noobs like these who have no idea
Old 05-04-2006, 05:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ I guess you could for noobs like these who have no idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

Everybody has to start somewhere.

But seriously, have your mom show you or something.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EkSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ I guess you could for noobs like these who have no idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya if i remmber il do it..just remmber..we were all noobs at 1 time lol
Old 05-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Old 05-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ******* PEOPLE, LEAVE THE KID ALONE!!

*sigh*

ALthough even by my standards this question is low....it's sad how pple just don't help him, just flame him....because obviously if he's asking this question, he doesn't know much about cars...which should be fine, you should be able to help him change his oil none-the-less without being dicks about it...

AddicitiveAllMotor, 99FBPSi, 94eg!, Ser1n, and ekcivic9 -- that's like 5 out of like 20, that's pathetic...

because we all know EVERYBODY else on ht never watched somebody else or had somebody else tell them, they just went up to the car, and did it, when they were 4 years old...

Here, I'll admit it first, I WATCHED MY FRIEND WHO OWNS A GARAGE DO IT BEFORE I DID IT!!!

omg, that makes me so stupid, right?
and everybody on ht is shaking their head "yes" because we all know they NEVER had any help with anything, just born pros of cars, ******* they can take on the guys from honda themselves, they're smarter than honda, smarter than scion, smarter than all the japanese population, why? Because all those brilliant Japanese techs LEARNED how to do it, they weren't BORN with the knowledge like all of the other HT members claim they are...

So when is it guys? When are you going to come out with your BRAND NEW company and BRAND NEW models? I mean if you know more than them, you should out-do them, no?

Some dickless bastard once said (think it was one of those guys on pinks (which I have to hold high respect for even though honda always loses)) that "the honda community is a tight community" -- and I remember reading in the kill stories forum about like, how close the honda community is online, and how no other community's close to honda when it comes to a "Brotherhood" - that people with hondas always got each others back and will help them out etc. etc. etc.

BULLSHIT

******* BULLSHIT

It's like a timestamp requirement, if you're not some rich *** white boy who could spend the pocket change for his brand new GSR motor (that he drives conservatively 100% of the time with, never beats on, never driven hard) and ever bought anything off of ebay then he's **** outta luck..
Long and short of it...
Rolls like this: Honda community is the tightest ever....if u have JDM, a C1, a C5, and/or the most expensive brand name parts..to hit the market

Why can't people just answer his question, and keep flames to urself..I mean even I think this question's uselessly sad...but you don't see me bashing him 6 ways from Sunday, I would have told him how to do it if some other people didn't tell him first -- and it would be pretty useless to ask a mod to do or say something because they're half the bashing in itself...just try and help once in awhile..
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (WhiteOut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ya if i remmber il do it..just remmber..we were all noobs at 1 time lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, no, no not honda-tech, they were born with the knowledge, never learned anything from anybody...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:23 PM

You must not be a big fan of aristotle.

OP: Good lucking with the new car, gotta love dat ****.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Oil Changes? (ej8civic)

Just cause HT doesnt have a write up on the aspects of changing oil doesnt mean the rest of the web is the same. Here: http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...l.php Complete with pictures and everything. Good luck

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Changes?