Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY License plate relocator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY License plate relocator

Ive been searching the forums constantly for a while, trying to find posts about relocating the front license plate. I have seen that people say they have made their own that work better than the ones you can buy. I want to know how exactly they made it so I can do the same and save myself some money. Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (Apotheosis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apotheosis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive been searching the forums constantly for a while, trying to find posts about relocating the front license plate. I have seen that people say they have made their own that work better than the ones you can buy. I want to know how exactly they made it so I can do the same and save myself some money. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

remove it from the front and put it on the passenger side of the dashboard like an effin g.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (Kurly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kurly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

remove it from the front and put it on the passenger side of the dashboard like an effin g. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats the way I've had it, but I like the way it looks better when its on the bumper, except off to one side haha
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM

true.. well all i can suggest is look at the password:jdm LP Relocater 2 get ideas, go 2 a hardware store and get creative
Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM

if you still have the lower plate mount the relocated that to the side and use the bottom holes of your plate instead of the top. should look like this

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kurly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true.. well all i can suggest is look at the password:jdm LP Relocater 2 get ideas, go 2 a hardware store and get creative </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats what I keep seeing everywhere, and I guess I could do that. The only thing is that I don't want to mess up, which is not that big a deal until i actually try to put it on. I also dont like the idea of drill holes in my bumper (even though you wouldnt see them).

What i might try to do is make one with no drilling required... to the drawing board...
Old 04-04-2008, 11:18 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kurly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

remove it from the front and put it on the passenger side of the dashboard like an effin g. </TD></TR></TABLE>
This calls attention to you not having the plate in the correct location, which makes it more likely for you to be pulled over.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This calls attention to you not having the plate in the correct location, which makes it more likely for you to be pulled over.</TD></TR></TABLE>no, not really, ive been pulled over with no plate and the cop told me to put it in the window seeing in how its not illegal as its not obstructing anyones view and its easier to see, so i did but just put it back in its original location

also, my boy put it in the window with lil suction cups holding it up.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (dannycraq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dannycraq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, not really, ive been pulled over with no plate and the cop told me to put it in the window seeing in how its not illegal as its not obstructing anyones view and its easier to see, so i did but just put it back in its original location

also, my boy put it in the window with lil suction cups holding it up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know the law here is that it has to be on the front bumper. Having it in the window just makes it more obvious that you're breaking the law, which makes you more likely to get in trouble for it.

The law is also up to the interpretation of the officer. So what is illegal to one might not be illegal to another (I'm not even kidding).

Plus it's dangerous to have in the window in the event of an accident.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM

zip ties
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know the law here is that it has to be on the front bumper. Having it in the window just makes it more obvious that you're breaking the law, which makes you more likely to get in trouble for it.

The law is also up to the interpretation of the officer. So what is illegal to one might not be illegal to another (I'm not even kidding).

Plus it's dangerous to have in the window in the event of an accident.</TD></TR></TABLE> <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slacks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">zip ties </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (slacks)

Plus it's dangerous to have in the window in the event of an accident.</TD></TR></TABLE>yea dunno bout WA, i know CA its not even a discussion.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (dannycraq)

pa rules with only rear plates !!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Az rulez, only rear plates also
Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (egmatt93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egmatt93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pa rules with only rear plates !!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, But youre license plates are ugly.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
H-T White Ops

DE rules. No front plates, no meth labs and I've only heard of two stolen cars (one of them being a 1989 Accord on it's last legs stolen from an empty parking lot in Wilmington where it sat overnight).
Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

Plus it's dangerous to have in the window in the event of an accident.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been pulled over many times for this.......you cant have it on the window, in CA. anyways so i put it on my bumper and havent gotten pulled over ever since
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus it's dangerous to have in the window in the event of an accident.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here it's not legal to have it in the window either.In the city most cops could care less but in some of the smaller counties surronding us they may pull you over for it.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (cbustuner)

you have to have them in veiw meaning the f&r or else you will get a ticket....va license plate's ftw
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 AM

bump... c'mon guys, i need to know how people fabricated their own license plate relocators, not what states it is legal to have the plate in the window
Please?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apotheosis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump... c'mon guys, i need to know how people fabricated their own license plate relocators, not what states it is legal to have the plate in the window
Please? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ask for someone to take photos of their plate relocator.

Ask them to take measurements.

Bring measurements to a local shop that's willing to cut and bend the plate for you.

Have them drill the appropriate holes.

End up spending close to the same amount as just buying one.

Drill holes in car

Mount on car.

I don't see how it's a problem to figure out how to make one. I'd want it strong enough, so I would get it made somewhere, not make it myself.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to home depot or lowes or something similar. and get some L shaped aluminum.. drill 2 holes for the plate and 2 holes to mount it to the bumper.
get some decent bolts and nuts.. maybe some washers.. and screw her on.. just eyeball it to where it looks decent.. id take a pic of mine but i dont have a camera at the moment.. plus its aluminum so it wont rust.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In Virginia, that's illegal. I'll give ya some important measurements though, I may quite a few when I worked in a machine shop. The width of the plate is 12 inches, and the distance from the holes is 7 inches.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: DIY License plate relocator (shaggyeg6si)

you want the cheap way to do it go to home depot and they have some sheet metal 90 degree pieces that look like an L. they run about 1.50 cut one section of it off and just screw your license plate to it and then screw it to the under side of your bumper.....

cut this section off....

i forgot exactly what they are called but they are used when installing shingles on the roof. if u ask someone at home depot they can point you in the right direction.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...i have l shaped steel sitting in my garage with holes pre drilled...i think im going to do that license plate mod today.

Quick Reply: DIY License plate relocator