Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable?

REALLY looking to try the ITB's on my D16 motor.just want to know is it affordable and easy to get whatever H.P out of them and is there a parts list anyone could possibly HELP me out with.ANY info in the right direction would be appreciated!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (kamakaze1)

can anyone HELP me out
Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (kamakaze1)

This might help a little:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191757

I'm pretty sure it will have to be a custom job.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
* B A N N E D *

easy = no

affordible = you didn't give us a budget, so how would we know if it is affordable.

my little sister couldn't afford it, i would be able to scrape the money together, bill gates could afford it....
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would be cheaper to do a diy turbo and make more power
Old 12-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

you could make the itb's for around 250 bucks, but thats not the hard part. The hard part is tuning them so you actually make power, and i'm assuming you have a d16 with boltons which will do jack **** with itb's other than make you lose the little torque you had to begin with. You need a high revving, high compression motor to get alot out of itb's. WHich i dont think you have either of.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Longstory short... What they said...

if you know a lot about them and cars then sure it's pretty easy. But it's certainly not "I'll try this" easy...

What a lot of DIY'ers do is use the ITB's from motor cycles (buy them used) and then get an adapter plate made up.

After that it's all tuning...

But as mentioned ALL of this time/expense is basically wasted unless it's a small part of a MUCH larger more expensive build...

Your not going to get good power buy slapping ITB's on an otherwise stock car... or even one that's slightly modded... You'd need a LOT of other parts in order to make it worth it...

And even then if you had an unlimited budget and experience... you'd already know that unless restricted by class or influenced by a desire to do it for the sake of doing it, you're better off going turbo.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (NonovUrbizniz)

very informative INFO guys,the reason for NOT going turbo is because it's just that much easier for anybody to achieve a certain HP......................that sure takes the RESPECT out of what an enthusists is really building there cars for.BTW have'nt anybody noticed ..................................HONDA's were'nt ever meant to be TURBO'ed ...........................THANK YOU!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kamakaze1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very informative INFO guys,the reason for NOT going turbo is because it's just that much easier for anybody to achieve a certain HP......................that sure takes the RESPECT out of what an enthusists is really building there cars for.BTW have'nt anybody noticed ..................................HONDA's were'nt ever meant to be TURBO'ed ...........................THANK YOU!</TD></TR></TABLE>

And D16's weren't meant to have ITB's.

It's funny how the highest HP honda's are turbo isnt it? I bet I could build a turbo D with more power then your N\A B, for equal, or less money.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (AbitAvenger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbitAvenger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And D16's weren't meant to have ITB's.

It's funny how the highest HP honda's are turbo isnt it? I bet I could build a turbo D with more power then your N\A B, for equal, or less money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kamakaze1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very informative INFO guys,the reason for NOT going turbo is because it's just that much easier for anybody to achieve a certain HP......................that sure takes the RESPECT out of what an enthusists is really building there cars for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

something i'd say after watching the fast and the furious and MTV's real life street racer episode
Old 12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kamakaze1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very informative INFO guys,the reason for NOT going turbo is because it's just that much easier for anybody to achieve a certain HP......................that sure takes the RESPECT out of what an enthusists is really building there cars for.BTW have'nt anybody noticed ..................................HONDA's were'nt ever meant to be TURBO'ed ...........................THANK YOU!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah.... kind of looking up the wrong tree for respect.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How?</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol. you are joking right?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And the '05 award for stupid'est noob statement goes to:

I build my car for reliability and performance. That means going faster than you, cheaper than you, w/o blowing my engine after 10 miles. I mean, do what you want but you can spend $5k on your N/A D series and i could spend half that on a turbo and gain the same amount of HP, probably more.

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 9:52 PM 12/7/2005
Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol. you are joking right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. reading ownz me. I thought he said n/a d and turbo b
Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable? (cambopheonix56)

i like the n/a d im running purdy quick
Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could make the itb's for around 250 bucks, but thats not the hard part. The hard part is tuning them so you actually make power, and i'm assuming you have a d16 with boltons which will do jack **** with itb's other than make you lose the little torque you had to begin with. You need a high revving, high compression motor to get alot out of itb's. WHich i dont think you have either of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BOO, dude they did a tune in honda tuning on a stock D16Z6 with ITBs and got 148 WHP. This is using uberdata. So I wouldn't go cramming that high compression bullshit down anyones throat.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

if you read i said to get teh most/alot out of ITB's higher compression and cams would be best.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

from what i know that did'nt the single cam motors come with MIKUNI carbs out of the factory.................with factory engine side harness.anyways,,,,,,,,,the whole reliability issue is a BIG thing to me because while your replacing BLOCKS and getting them sleeved so that they don't BLOW up, i'm at a gas station filling my car up with supreme.................................another THANK YOU!OH YEAH i almost forgot, my intentions are'nt to try and rape the next guy but to do something people REALLY have'nt heard of........................and that's the challenge of the whole IDEA!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BOO, dude they did a tune in honda tuning on a stock D16Z6 with ITBs and got 148 WHP. This is using uberdata. So I wouldn't go cramming that high compression bullshit down anyones throat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you happen to have a link to this article? I have difficulty believing that they achieved a 35+ whp gain simply by installing and tuning a set of ITB's on a stock D16.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (Padawan)

whats wrong with an n/a d, thats what im doing, not every1 just wants to go be a highway monster or some huge high power'd turbo on an 1/4 track with slicks, so you can get traction, which you need to get good times with turbo, where is the streetability in that? what about real racing, going around a track, thats where n/a kicks ***, 100 pounds saved not doing a swap, total sleeper, 150-160 hp, with a little bit of weight reduction gets you high 13's, nothing super fast, but it will surprise a **** load of people, and if you wanted to, throw on some slicks, you have a mid 13.5 second car. just weight is the enemy for a n/a, leave your gf at the gas-station with a slim-fast, she'll be fine.

Modified by young noob at 8:49 AM 12/11/2005
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (young noob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leave you gf at the gas-station with a slim-fast, she'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL.. That is funny in so many wrong ways.

The question is whether you weigh more than she, and if so, then maybe she should be driving, and you on the slim fast!

I would like to see this article that gains 35+whp strapping on just a set of ITBs and tuning.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL.. That is funny in so many wrong ways.

The question is whether you weigh more than she, and if so, then maybe she should be driving, and you on the slim fast!

I would like to see this article that gains 35+whp strapping on just a set of ITBs and tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

give me some time to see if i still have the honda-tuning magazine. They slapped on hayabusa ITB's quickly tuned it and got 148 or something to the wheels. Thats a huge gain over stock to the wheels.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 AM

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/toc/0502ht_toc/

Single-Cam Quad Induction
Learn how to build budget-variety ITBs for the Sixth-gen Civic EX

back order it, it's in there.

i don't have that magazine anymore, or i would scan the article in.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got the mag, i'll try and get scans 8)
Old 12-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mRek9R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbitAvenger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would be cheaper to do a diy turbo and make more power </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: DIY ITB's for D16y8.....................is it easy and affordable?