Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote

Alright guys, I have searched and searched and found some half-*** explainations, but I am going to put this up here from personal experience, I have not seen it posted this detailed on this site.

I know this works from experiance!

1) Turn Ignition to On, but do not crank car
2) Within 10 seconds, press and hold the valet button (Slim button b/w the AM-FM and CD-Tape buttons)
3) While holding valet button, listen for the door actuators to activate
4) Continue holding the valet button and press a button on your remote
5) Still holding valet button, lister for actuators to activate again
6) While holding the valet button, turn the key all the way back (off)
8) When the car is turned completely off the radio may flash (the screen would have been blank the whole time)
7) Remove key and test remote

REMEMBER: You cant let go of the valet button at all during the process.

Post any questions or comments
Old 03-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (ninety7ex)

thanks for the information, I will test it out tomorrow. I am gonna give my friend my old remotes.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (ninety7ex)

is there a way to make my trunk popper work on my keyless entry?? .. lol
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 AM

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (ekb18cCivic)

yeah, I am sure there is, but it would require runing an electrical trunk popper and then connecting it to the third frequency somehow
Old 03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (ninety9ex)

What about for 99-01 models ?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about for 99-01 models ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a PITA. Turn igniton on, turn it off x100
Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its a PITA. Turn igniton on, turn it off x100</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, does anyone know the full instructions ?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its a PITA. Turn igniton on, turn it off x100</TD></TR></TABLE>

So where did you get that info ? Because I just found my helms manual and it seems like all you need to do is press a couple buttons 5 to 10 times.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So where did you get that info ? Because I just found my helms manual and it seems like all you need to do is press a couple buttons 5 to 10 times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have a helms manual but yet you still have to ask here?

I was exaggerating but you have to turn the ignition on and off and on and off and on and off. Its a bigger hassle than holding the valet button.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a helms manual but yet you still have to ask here?

I was exaggerating but you have to turn the ignition on and off and on and off and on and off. Its a bigger hassle than holding the valet button.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I asked because my computer recently broke and I could not find all my helms manuals. This is what the site is for ( to help others ), if your gonna give bogus information or not help, then don't post. And skimming over the helms, I read it quickly but all you have to do is press a button 5 times.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I asked because my computer recently broke and I could not find all my helms manuals. This is what the site is for ( to help others ), if your gonna give bogus information or not help, then don't post. And skimming over the helms, I read it quickly but all you have to do is press a button 5 times.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Right. Flood, if you really know how to do it, just list the steps in the most detailed fashion you can afford. If you can't, don't bother posting bits and pieces.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (litterbox)

The topic of this thread is how to program a 96-98 remote. My comment related to how much easier it was to do than on newer models. Perhaps 90blackcrx should have started his own thread for 99 and newer? Or just searched?

Also I note
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And skimming over the helms, I read it quickly but all you have to do is press a button 5 times. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is bits and pieces of how to do it, which is incorrect.

Turn ign on
push the transmitter lock or unlock

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators

within 8 sec aim the transmitter whose codes you want to store at the receover and hit the lock or unlock buttons. Confirm you can hear the lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

Turn ign off and pull out your key.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The topic of this thread is how to program a 96-98 remote. My comment related to how much easier it was to do than on newer models. Perhaps 90blackcrx should have started his own thread for 99 and newer? Or just searched?

Also I note

This is bits and pieces of how to do it, which is incorrect.

Turn ign on

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

turn the ign off

Turn ign on

Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators

within 8 sec aim the transmitter whose codes you want to store at the receover and hit the lock or unlock buttons. Confirm you can hear the lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

Turn ign off and pull out your key.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 99 si, i took it to the honda dealership to get my control programed, and they said i need to have the stock headunit.. i have an aftermarket headunit, and i need to program my remote.. will this work for me? ^^^^^^?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote (juanb)

99-00 models control unit is behind the drivers side kick panel and not in the stereo (I think). Try the above procedure and see if it works.

I could be wrong though, I have a 98 so im not sure.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote

Little bit late I know, but I'm looking for some answers. I have a 96 Civic EX which came with factory keyless entry but no longer has the remotes. I bought a new OEM remote and want to program it, however I don't have the factory head unit. Is there any way to get around this problem and program the remote but keep the aftermarket head unit? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: DIY: How to program OEM 96-98 Civic EX/LX Factory Keyless Entry Remote

Originally Posted by ryanfilkins
Little bit late I know, but I'm looking for some answers. I have a 96 Civic EX which came with factory keyless entry but no longer has the remotes. I bought a new OEM remote and want to program it, however I don't have the factory head unit. Is there any way to get around this problem and program the remote but keep the aftermarket head unit? Any feedback would be appreciated.
The rf receiver for the remote is contained within the radio on 96-98 models. Comparing a dx radio with an Lx radio you will see the dx radio is missing half of the mass of an Lx unit

When you factor in the cost of a working head unit from a hx/Lx/dx on eBay for $60 ish shipped, pay $50 for a factory remote you are already in the price range for an entry level alarm system.

It's better to just pay $30 for a keyless entry system that you run a power source to that taps into the power locks
Old 09-12-2014, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanfilkins
Check behind the dash for the factory radio, my buddy had a 97 and when he upgraded the head unit they used some kind of harness that kept the factory radio behind the dash so the locks would still work
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ninety9ex
Alright guys, I have searched and searched and found some half-*** explainations, but I am going to put this up here from personal experience, I have not seen it posted this detailed on this site.
I know this works from experiance!

1) Turn Ignition to On, but do not crank car
2) Within 10 seconds, press and hold the valet button (Slim button b/w the AM-FM and CD-Tape buttons)
3) While holding valet button, listen for the door actuators to activate
4) Continue holding the valet button and press a button on your remote
5) Still holding valet button, lister for actuators to activate again
6) While holding the valet button, turn the key all the way back (off)
8) When the car is turned completely off the radio may flash (the screen would have been blank the whole time)
7) Remove key and test remote

REMEMBER: You cant let go of the valet button at all during the process.

Post any questions or comments

MUST HAVE ALL DOORS SHUT