Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY Ground wire kit help....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Ground wire kit help....

hey guys, my friend and I were bored so we read up on the H-T Ground wire kit post, bought the parts and started working on the cars.

I just have a few questions to ask, as I'm still uncertain on what's the best part to use and a good method of hooking up the wiring.

1) I went to an audio shop to buy the 8 and 4 gauge Gold Plated Terminals. My friend went to a audio surplus store and bought them also. I paid for mine $2.50 each and a total of $18.00 for 6 Terminals. My friend paid $7.00 for 10 gold plated terminals.
I'm wondering, is there any difference between the Surplus Terminals and Audio Store terminals??? Both are "Gold" but I don't know if I should return mine and get the ones he has.

2) I'm using the diagram below to ground my car. Would this be a good illustration on what I should ground???

Is there something that I should ground on there that isn't listed in the illustration????

2) When buying 8-gauge wire, is it better to purchase the audio store type(wire strands are very small and plenty of them) or should I buy the Home Depot one where the cable is pretty small but the wire strands are much thicker????

please help because I'll be starting on my car tomorrow.

thanks
bartek

Old 11-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Ground wire kit help.... (bartek_b)

everything vital is there...
Old 11-21-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Re: DIY Ground wire kit help.... (Peagreenhatch)

anybody know what I should do with the terminals????

need help plz
Old 11-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without any information regarding the make of terminals or the stores they were purchased at we cannot really give any true insight. In my mind though a terminal is a terminal, et the cheaper ones.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:07 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bartek_b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody know what I should do with the terminals????

need help plz </TD></TR></TABLE>

you bolt it down to the + side.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (JMU1337)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU1337 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Without any information regarding the make of terminals or the stores they were purchased at we cannot really give any true insight. In my mind though a terminal is a terminal, et the cheaper ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well my terminals were purchased at a good audio shop called "Morton Electronics".

There isn't any name or brand on the terminals. The store My friend bought them was "Gibaltar surplus store".

Morton is the type of expensive electronics store, and Gibaltar is not as costly.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:16 PM

-most terminals work exactly the same as long as its the same material...so get the cheaper ones.

-that daigram looks fine

-audio store wire is better definatly. the home depot type will work, but its a bitch to work with because its not very flexiable, the insualtion isnt as good either...
Old 11-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your forgeting one of the most important.....the alternator.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: (second edition)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by second edition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your forgeting one of the most important.....the alternator.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks jcstites, that's one of the best answers so far

I'll be sure to also ground the alternator too, thanks for the reminder
Old 11-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bartek_b)

ok, noob question...what are you benefiting from this grounding again? ... power? ... throttle response?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:27 PM

i make these in my spare time.

PM or email me at happies713@hotmail.com if you are interested in a kit!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:53 PM
New User

Default Re: (whoDAT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whoDAT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, noob question...what are you benefiting from this grounding again? ... power? ... throttle response? </TD></TR></TABLE>

nothing, its all in their heads, i mean head. another JDM hype.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Choi)

better throttle response, quicker startup, brighter headlights, and a few hp gains i've been hearing..
Old 11-21-2003, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (Airbag Club)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airbag Club &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">better throttle response, quicker startup, brighter headlights, and a few hp gains i've been hearing..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill agree with quicker startup and brighter headlights, but I dont think it helps throttle or HP at all.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:28 AM

Default Re: (Mr. Choi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Choi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nothing, its all in their heads, i mean head. another JDM hype. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dumbass

Old 11-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bartek_b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dumbass

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have proof that he is wrong?
Old 11-22-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: DIY Ground wire kit help.... (jcstites)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcstites &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-audio store wire is better definatly. the home depot type will work, but its a bitch to work with because its not very flexiable, the insualtion isnt as good either...</TD></TR></TABLE>

More flexible wire is better considering all the vibration they will have to endure. I'm using stainless steel braided (flat) straps that work great.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Re: DIY Ground wire kit help.... (PupaScoopa)

I have one more question.

What's the difference between 6-Gauge and 8-Gauge wire????

I bought both and 6-gauge is a bit thicker
Old 11-22-2003, 10:20 AM

You hit it on the head. The lower the gauge the bigger the strands. I don't think I have ever seen 6 gauge though. Most audio is 4 gauge or 8 gauge for power wires or ground.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your stock grounds are in good condition and your motor is fairly stock you will see no difference..this has been discussed a million times and I can't be bothered to explain why again.. if you start placing wires near the ht leads you stand a chance of inducing a potential difference in your new ground wire which will cause a voltage drop across the spark plugs and you may start losing power due to a weaker spark.. using wire much fatter than stock is also stupid as you are only reducing resistance in one half of the circuit.. that diagram looks dodgy to me, i wouldn't be happy with a wire trailing across my engine bay especially near all the ht stuff, you dont need that wire anyway. The largest electrical load your car will ever experience is when you start it up, only the starter motor requires a massive ground and the alternator is similar but nowhere as demanding...
Old 11-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: (goodbyegti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodbyegti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your stock grounds are in good condition and your motor is fairly stock you will see no difference..this has been discussed a million times and I can't be bothered to explain why again.. if you start placing wires near the ht leads you stand a chance of inducing a potential difference in your new ground wire which will cause a voltage drop across the spark plugs and you may start losing power due to a weaker spark.. using wire much fatter than stock is also stupid as you are only reducing resistance in one half of the circuit.. that diagram looks dodgy to me, i wouldn't be happy with a wire trailing across my engine bay especially near all the ht stuff, you dont need that wire anyway. The largest electrical load your car will ever experience is when you start it up, only the starter motor requires a massive ground and the alternator is similar but nowhere as demanding...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the information man.

Well I just finished with the installation and when I turned on my car, I did infact notice it start up a bit quicker. Also, when tapping the gas, I think it's much responsive now.

Overall, for something that costs $20.00 to do, I would say it's worth it.

Thanks to h-t for the help
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 PM

could you possibly explain where you made the grounds? etc?

a pic would be great..
Old 11-22-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (zberger)

doesnt sound too bad but ill put my money towards that ct26 then worry about grounds, by which i mean the wheels staying on the ground cause the **** will fly
Old 11-22-2003, 04:14 PM
GPoodle

I did the grounds too and decided on doing it ONLY because my motor was out of the car.
And if you dont think they do anything, alt-batt, block-ground, and tranny-ground are known as the "3-magic-wires" in the car audio world, do a search on any car ICE forum.

If your spending time on grounding everything, run a wire from the alternator to your battery. The stock wires are copper and oxidize and corrode over time.

And to the guy that said its a JDM Hype.... thats a retarded comment, people have been replacing factory grounds on all cars (yes, even on domestics ) since way before 2F2F came out.....
Old 11-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3 magic wires? if you are running loads of ice then it will help if you upgrade the chassis and alternator ground but for performance it won't do anything unless you're existing grounds are crap or you're running extra electrical loads...i'm not trying to say don't replace them but don't expect them to do much if your car is pretty much stock..

Quick Reply: DIY Ground wire kit help....