Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a heat gun is the easiest way to remove it
Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i always liked the grip tape look, the VW guys have been doin this for years. heres a finished pic with the tape nice and trimmed, looks sweet IMO

Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (prettylew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG2Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it does wear off and its slippery when wet. Its almost like ice when theres snow on it...but it doesn't squeak when your shoes are wet!</TD></TR></TABLE> Actually no, thats one of the reasons I did it and it isn't slippery at all when wet. We don't have ice in sf so that isn't a problem for me. The tape thats on the steps at work has been there for the past 3 years and it still hasn't worn off. Maybe your talking about the skateboard stuff.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (ejoner)

lol awesome , i may end up doing this
Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Ghetto o o o o o o o o bump
Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (Ek4 life)

good idea
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (SuperSonikBluEK)

Nice DIY. ive seen this before but I never got to do it. great idea nonetheless. Plus, if you do change your mine, you can always put the rubber ones back on.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up. I have a tip I wanted to throw in for getting a clean edge on the grip tape.

Instead of tracing out the rubber pedal pads, just stick on the grip tape leaving some excess hanging all around the edges. Take a file and grind down the grip tape against the edge of the pedal underneath. Should take just a few swipes from the file until you can peel the excess material off. This was the technique I used to grip my skateboard decks.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another question, none of OP's pics show the gas pedal, will it work on that as well?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks ghetto but function over form
Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (EJ8 944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another question, none of OP's pics show the gas pedal, will it work on that as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont see why not? He also did show it...scroll up...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (all_conference)

the pic shown on this page is from a VW
Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (Ek4 life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ek4 life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ghetto o o o o o o o o bump</TD></TR></TABLE>

50 bucks says that if it was called "mugen pedal grip modifier" everyone would jump on this like kim kardashian's naked ***. lol.

OMG mugen pedal grip modifiers MAD JDM TYTE DAWG!

lol

i dont see anything wrong with this. i think the saleen s7 and some formula one cars ive seen had a similar grippy substance on the pedals.

ghetto is pepboys pedals that get caught on the floor mats and cause accidents. lol
Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (prettylew)

If you purchase the 3M it will last quite a while. Normal skateboard grip tape has less of a grit. I believe there are different grit ratings for the paper just like sand paper but not sure. I used to have this done to my open wheel cars but the heel toe transition wasn't as smooth on doen shifts so i got rid of it.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Great write up!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really doubt its going to ware off and if it does its gonna take at least a few years. 3m stuff is good ish. Yeah I haven't had time to clean the edges up. Your going to have to clean it off with goo gone or brake cleaner to take the adhesive off if you wanna remove them. Nope hasn't messed up my shoes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been doing this forever. I put skateboard grip tape on my pedals but the clear one because its all they had. That **** wears down soooo much. I had it for like 1-2 months and it wore out a lot! And when your shoes are wet, its even more slippery than the bare metal.

I just end up having to apply new **** like every 2 months
Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the grip tape for a while but it wore off eventually and now I have a spiked clutch pedal (I felt no need to spike the other two). Clipped off the points of thumb tacks and pushed them through the bake of the rubber pedal cover. I don't fvcking care what anyone has to say about this. It works awsome, better than the tape, and that's all I care about.

Sorry for the hijack ejoner, just my .02.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (mcvtec)

thumbtacks? lol thats too crazy for me haha
Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (prettylew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prettylew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

50 bucks says that if it was called "mugen pedal grip modifier" everyone would jump on this like kim kardashian's naked ***. lol.

OMG mugen pedal grip modifiers MAD JDM TYTE DAWG!

lol

i dont see anything wrong with this. i think the saleen s7 and some formula one cars ive seen had a similar grippy substance on the pedals.

ghetto is pepboys pedals that get caught on the floor mats and cause accidents. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mugen DOES have grip pedals. They're a porous metal, and they work very nicely. They also look good, and aren't 'ghetto', as everyone so charmingly put it.

Also, everyone who puts grip tape on the gas pedal is retarded. You're not supposed to grip on the gas pedal when doing footwork. You're supposed to slide off. Watch any circuit race, they'll either have a smooth metal pedal, or a towel taped around the accelerator.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, everyone who puts grip tape on the gas pedal is retarded. You're not supposed to grip on the gas pedal when doing footwork. You're supposed to slide off. Watch any circuit race, they'll either have a smooth metal pedal, or a towel taped around the accelerator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (Eran)

mugen pedals also come with a hefty price tag. this could be a cheap alternative for those who dont want to shell out for some fancy pedals.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, everyone who puts grip tape on the gas pedal is retarded. You're not supposed to grip on the gas pedal when doing footwork. You're supposed to slide off. Watch any circuit race, they'll either have a smooth metal pedal, or a towel taped around the accelerator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you ever think that maybe some people want to not have their foot slide of the pedals during winter? the whole world doesn't cicuit race their car, you dont need to be such a dick about it by calling someone retarded , theres more then one reason why someone may want grip pedals.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Diy: Grip tape pedals. (EJ8 944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mugen pedals also come with a hefty price tag. this could be a cheap alternative for those who dont want to shell out for some fancy pedals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed, this is a cheap alternative. It's also not permanent, and is not as aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion, at least). I was just telling the guy who made fun of Mugen just because someone called this mod 'ghetto.'

Guess what -- this is ghetto. It's a Home Depot mod. Does it work? Sure.

Is it show quality? Of course not.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you ever think that maybe some people want to not have their foot slide of the pedals during winter? the whole world doesn't cicuit race their car, you dont need to be such a dick about it by calling someone retarded , theres more then one reason why someone may want grip pedals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the stock, worn-down rubber pedals. My feet do not slip off during the winter, or the rainy season (read: rest of the damn year). In fact, my feet don't slide unless I want them to. Pedal control is an important part of driving, and if you haven't figured it out, then you need more practice.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know mugen has grippy pedals im not a fool.

but im saying if Mugen made tape like this, and it came with the cool mugen logo on it. NO ONE would knock it. i personally dont like the look of "add on" pedals.

i know you can buy audi TT pedal pads from the dealer and they look sweet and have grippy rubber circles on them, and i know the slide over the pedals just like the factory rubber piece. no crapy bolts and brackets.

i know they fit old style VW's

and the pedal shape is almost the same on a civic. i might try it someday. when i have extra cash to blow.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (prettylew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prettylew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know mugen has grippy pedals im not a fool.

but im saying if Mugen made tape like this, and it came with the cool mugen logo on it. NO ONE would knock it. i personally dont like the look of "add on" pedals.

i know you can buy audi TT pedal pads from the dealer and they look sweet and have grippy rubber circles on them, and i know the slide over the pedals just like the factory rubber piece. no crapy bolts and brackets.

i know they fit old style VW's

and the pedal shape is almost the same on a civic. i might try it someday. when i have extra cash to blow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd be willing to bet on at least a $60-70 blow from the Audi pedal covers .... and about $100 for Mugen.

I know what I'd pick.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically, a easier way to get a clean cut is just get somebody who works at a skateboard shop. what i do is use this sharp tool and trace the deck by rubbing the tool on the side of the deck, and then cut it with a small blade. (maybe this method can be applied to the brake pedals) ugly *** hell though. lol

Quick Reply: Diy: Grip tape pedals.