Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY FYI: aftermarket to OEM foglight switch pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY FYI: aftermarket to OEM foglight switch pigtail

I thought I might post this little tidbit of info.

I installed an Ebay special fog light kit on my EJ6. It works great but the dash switch is POS. It is cheap looking, the "on" light isn't real, the whole switch is illuminated when the ignition is in "run" and then the light burned out completely. Either way doesn't give any indication of whether the fogs are on or off.

I naturally decided to buy an OEM switch to replace it, they are pretty easy to find on eBay if you can't find them anywhere else. Some used ones even have the pigtail included. I opted for a new switch not thinking plugging it in to the ebay switch harness would be a problem, WRONG! The 2 aren't even close.

Plan A: find an OEM harness. Rarer than a King James Bible in a mosque, extremely expensive when found and are designed to interact with the headlight switch (slaved to high beam, parking lights, etc.) "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Plan B: find a "OEM Honda fog light plug/pigtail". no such critter in cyber space that isn't in a kit, on a harness or included with a used switch.

I decided to just do a search for "OEM Honda Fog Light" and found out the same plug is used for other applications in the Honda realm. DUH! Now that I feel like a dumbass I'll share the info.

Apparently the same pigtail is used on the Accord power window harness from 91-97, on the Odyssey 91-98 rear defogger switch AND the 6th gen Civic Hatchback tail light harness. There's probably more places it's used but that is what I've found so far. There are even DIY posts out there to do the conversion wiring.

Since I didn't want to go to the wrecking yard to poke around I found one on eBay under Accord/Odyssey descriptions for $10 and have it on the way. I'll post my wiring conversion adventures when it gets here.

Hope this saves some hair pulling for someone.