Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY CTR Headlights (That actually look real)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY CTR Headlights (That actually look real)

Got bored today so heres what i did.

Stock

Apart the one in front is painted but not cleared, and the one behind is unpainted

In the car

Let me know what ya think.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY CTR Headlights (9redsi9)

they look damn good for you
Old 11-13-2003, 08:29 PM

Wow, looks nice for something you did yourself. I remember painting my headlights in my 2002 Celica. I would love to do the same thing with my del Sol, but it would look funny I think.

Nonetheless, looks good in my opinion and it sure as hell is nice not having to spend that much money doing that.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: DIY CTR Headlights (99blackcivicSi)

Lookin very good mang

As a writeup guru though, i'll have to say Chris y0!'s ownz urs
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=396022
Old 11-13-2003, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the coments ill take more phots in the light tommorow and do a better write up with supplies listed.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my freind did his the same way and you cant tell. this is a excellent way to save money
Old 11-13-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (9redsi9)

Looks good, but not like CTR headlights
Old 11-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pho Real)

if i had an ek id do the same thing

more $ to spend on go fast goodies
Old 11-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pho Real &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good, but not like CTR headlights</TD></TR></TABLE>
very true...doesnt look like CTR's at all, but looks good
Old 11-13-2003, 09:21 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (MonKey Magic)

i could spot those a million miles away , but it doesnt mean they dont look good
Old 11-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redline201)

looks pretty damn good.... what color did you use? and brand?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY CTR Headlights (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lookin very good mang

As a writeup guru though, i'll have to say Chris y0!'s ownz urs
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=396022</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats one bad *** write up if i may say so myself
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 PM

I thought CTR headlights had smokes lenses but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, your lights look good.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:42 PM
New User

Default Re: DIY CTR Headlights (NOSpeed97)

they look really good but they dont look like real CTRs
Old 11-13-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: DIY CTR Headlights (WiDeBoDyEK)

Ok as i promised ill share the paint I used its made by a company called Tamiya ( even the paint is JDM yo) and is found in Hobby Stores. The base coat color is Smoke and then you have to use a clear coat ontop of that, I used Tamiya clear coat. Before you start make sure you remove any fingerprints or debris, use silk if possible to wipe it DO NOT use windex or anything harsh you will ruin the mirror finish. I recomend silk because a regular towel Can scratch the surface. You have to use two cans one per light, I sprayed the whole can at once because it drys soooo fast and is a very fine mist, spray about 10'' away from the surface and make sure you constantly move, i practiced different techniques before i did the lights and found that this way works best, if you spray closer it comes out more glossy but is splotchy and kinda looks like ***, so spray the whole light until you go through the can becarefull when you get near the end of the can because it will start to spit out **** and can ruin a whole job, use your best judgment. The lights kinda look like *** at this stage but you still have to use a clear coat, use the same technique as mentioned before but one can is sufficient for both lights. You can spray the clear a bit closer because the more concentrated you can get it the more glossy it gets but you have to be careful not to get any runs. Id say the hardest part of the whole job was masking off the portion of the light for the blinker, took probably 20 min per light. Sorry I didn't give a write up on how to get the light apart and what not but there are a bunch out there just do a search. Be patient. If I had to do anything different i might have used more clear coat, the more you use the shinier it gets. Over all they came out good, they look a little dark in the pics. Look great in person. One final note be careful when pulling off the masking tape, the paint cant stick super good to the chrome surface so it may start to pull away from the surface if you are not careful.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:59 PM

To thoes who say they dont look real you 100% correct, im not gonna argue with that, I may have been a bit too happy with my work when I made the title of this thread. I have to say they are the closest DIY that I have yet to see but im sure there are some better ones out there. I actually bougt a set of knock off CTR lights and the ones i did look better IMO. The knock offs appear to be just double chromed making them a bit darker but its pretty hard to tell and its really depends on the angle of the light. And they fit like ****. Im super happy with how they came out and concidering it cost me under 20 bucks I dont care if they are a bit off. I have always wanted the JDM ones but could not justify spending the money especialy when im trying to finish the motor for the thing. A warnig to thoes who may attemp this on their own your results may vary ( always wanted to say that), the darkness will depend on how you spray the smoke paint, I have a bit of experience in painting but not much, i used one whole can practicing before i actuall did the lights.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good.. do you have the pics of the whole frond end?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 PM
New User

Default Re: (9redsi9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9redsi9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To thoes who say they dont look real you 100% correct, im not gonna argue with that, I may have been a bit too happy with my work</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh but dont get it twisted man,...your headlights look pretty damn good ,...we wasnt downing you,..just stating they dont look like real CTRs,..got any full shots of your car?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 AM

Default Re: (WiDeBoDyEK)

I have a set of aftermarket 99-00 Civic headlights for anyone that wants to black out their lenses and keep the stock oem headlights. IM for details, would like to get rid of them ASAP!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pho Real &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good, but not like CTR headlights</TD></TR></TABLE>

either way, looks really good.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To tell you the truth, and criticize you in front of everyone, they look nothing like CTR headlights other than they have a gunmetal finish.

Real JDM CTR headlamp assemblies have no glare reducer, have no amber reflector on the side, and have city light bulbs. In comparison, they are more like the OEM stock headlamps than anything.

I'm sure the poor people that want to LOOK cool without actually BEING cool will appreciate your ace hardware write up.

Congratulations on being one ghetto-fab ****.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Congratulations on being one ghetto-fab ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

i think they look good though.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackhatchy)

my friend wanted to attempt the CTR DIY thing. I used gunmetal paint on an airbrush. Spraying little by little, I had achieved the perfect match. However, my friend told me to make them darker (a lot darker) and ruined the CTR look, he then had gunmetal housing lights. You can use some chrome rocker panel sticker on the amber reflector to imitate the chrome housing.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

Has anyone tried using a translucent spray-on tint like VHT nightshades on their headlights? It should give them more of a reflective look like real ctr headlamps?

Your headlights came out pretty good. Here's a pic of my old hatch with ctr lenses to give you something to compare yours to.

More pics here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291834159

Quick Reply: DIY CTR Headlights (That actually look real)