Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY clutch install

anyone ever install thier own clutch? how hard was it? i have so far done all of my own work to my car and 2 of my friends cars and this will be the first time i have ever done a clutch..im gonna probally do it this weekend if possible.its a exedy organic racing clutch..is there a place online where i can look at some instuctions/tips?

should i do it my self or have a buddy at a shop do it for me? id really like to do it my self so i can do it for friends in the future and make more money of them lol..thanks
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 PM

Default Re: DIY clutch install (one-syk)

Difficulty: Hard if engine is old or significantly modified. Moderate if new and/or stock.

Link:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b...tch/clutch.php

Shawn
Old 01-09-2003, 02:01 PM

DIY 4 life. Its not hard at all, just get at least one other friend, jack/jackstands/17mil/14mil/some kinda breaker bar/12 pt 10 ml and a mask, remeber, clutch disc causes cancer. ITs cake out of the car, but even inside, its not worth what shops charge.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (shawnhayes)

the motor is almost stock with a few basic bolt ons
Old 01-09-2003, 02:17 PM

Default Re: DIY clutch install (Nextekhatch)

DIY 4 life. Its not hard at all
On what planet? It might be easy on pluto, where you could turn the car over with your hand because of the low gravity, but this job isn't "easy".

one-syk, you can do this job, but don't count on it being cake. Piece of advice: buy a service manual.

Shawn
Old 01-09-2003, 02:21 PM
KURRRRWA

I was wondering the same thing. I've called around, and the cheapest i've found is $333 so it must take a few hours.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shawn... thanks for that link i printed all 4 pages and then i called a buddy to give me a hand..i told him it looks really easy but dont expect to go home until the next day or until its done lol its shouldnt be a hard job but it certainly wont be cake

thanks for the help it will be a good thing to know how to do and will help me with job experience for sure
Old 01-09-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: DIY clutch install (V8 Killa)

I was wondering the same thing. I've called around, and the cheapest i've found is $333 so it must take a few hours.
The problem is TIME. The job is time consuming. However, if the bolts will break loose easily, and you can separate the engine and transmission easily, and align the clutch, and align the transmission and engine easily, it goes fast.

However, ALMOST EVERYBODY snags on ONE or more of the problems above, and getting past these problems is the snag.

Shawn
Old 01-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im so glad you just explained what the possible snags are they will make it easier for me to laugh at when the time comes
Old 01-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (One-Panda)

stupid *** **** mother ****** *** suckin piece of **** ball joint...is there an easier way to remove the front lca's from the ball joints to get the axle out? ive been trying to get the damn things off for 20 minutes and they arent coming out im doing it the same way i have taken them out before except this time its not working what im doing is im holding a large sledge hammer/mallet type hammer on one end of the lca thet the ball joint goes through and im hitting the other side of the lca with another mallet of the same sort ..the last time this is what my dad did and they poped right out now when im trying to do it they dont move at all ...i even used a jack and a 2x4 to put presseur onthe bolt on the ball joint and then i tapped it but no results so i smoked a cigarette and drand a mountain dew and tried the other side and still nothing is coming apart..everything was going very smoothly until this part all i have left to do is take the axels out and unbolt the tranny but its not going smoothly ...what does the tool look like that is made for seperating the lower ball joints? where can i look at it online? ill probally just end up buying one later tonight when my friend arrives to help remove the trans because now that im this far im not putting it all back together to go buy a tool just to come back home and take it all apart again LOL

ohh i love working on cars its times like this that make it fun
Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another way to get the axle out (if you dont have a ball joint seperator) is to drop the upper A-arm from the frame, take out your front suspension, and let the rotor assembly swing down and towards the rear of the car. That's how I do it when I don't have a ball joint seperator. Also, DIY clutch install is somewhat time consuming if the motor is in the car AND you don't have a lift. When doing a clutch with the motor out it took me roughly 10 minutes with air tools. With the motor IN the car and on a lift it took me and my friend about 4 hours...so there is your range of time (this is if you already know what you are doing and this is NOT your first clutch install....)
Old 01-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (b16a ferio)

this is my first clutch install and so fareverything is done except the axels and bolts holding the trans to the motor and rear motor mount everythingelse took about 20 minutes to do if the axels would have came out smoothly it probally would have taken about 45-60 minutes to drop the trans putting the clutch in and remounting the trans is going to be the fun part

the ball joint seperator/fork thing is it an air tool or is it the kind you hit with a hammer? my dad has one that you hit with a hammer but im still on my union break so ill see if it fits when im done
Old 01-10-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: DIY clutch install (b16a ferio)

go to pep boys. or some auto parts store... ball joint seperaters are like 10$, they look like a thick tuning fork w/ an angled end to pry the ball joint loose. DONT hit the balljoint with a hammer or tap it or anything... if you mushroom the bolt and the castle nut wont thred on anymore the whole joint has to be taken off the car and pressed out, trust me its worth the 10$ for the ball joint seperater. good luck

they are a hit with a hammer tool.

[Modified by euclid, 6:21 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (euclid)

are there diffrent sizes?

and i know not to mushroom the bolt i learned that the hard way the week after i got the car and i was installing my weapn r adjustable springs hahah gay *** parts
Old 01-10-2003, 02:04 PM

and i know not to mushroom the bolt i learned that the hard way the week after i got the car and i was installing my weapn r adjustable springs hahah gay *** parts[/QUOTE]

lol, thats sucks, i foud out the hardway when i needed to take my lca's off for poly bushing install... STILL GOT THEM and theyre great!

they do come in diffent sizes though, im thinking you will definatley be able to tell if it will fit when you have it in your hand. and unless it is freakishly large/small it should work.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (euclid)

i got em off i just called my buddy who has a shop and asked him he said to turn the wheel your working on all the way to that side and put the nut on it loosely and pound the **** out of the lca with a big hammer..after 2-3 wacks on each side they both dropped down

now all i have to do is drop the trans install the clutch and reinstall air thang

but since i feel so good after getting the axels out i think its time for a another union break its 1/4 to 6pm now ill go back to work in an hour by that time it will give me about 45 minutes to get ready for my help to arrive

Old 01-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if you had planned on getting your flywheel resurfaced but its a pretty good idea.
Oh yeah, a big f'ing hammer always gets the ball joints
Old 01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (ill phil)

I don't know if you had planned on getting your flywheel resurfaced but its a pretty good idea.
Oh yeah, a big f'ing hammer always gets the ball joints
Big hammers solve everything!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (ill phil)

im not gonna get my flywheel resurfaced because in a about 2 months im gonna slap a jun or exedy flywheel in it so im gonna have to take it all apart again anyways

yea i know it sounds stupid but thats the way i do things i cant afford the flywheel now and i dont want to wait to install the clutch plus installing the clutch now will make it alot easier when installing the flywheel later on (it gives me more experience and thats a good thing)
Old 01-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the tranny is down i did it all by my self..i held it up with one hand while i jacked the car up with the other then i passed it to my other hand with out letting it hit the ground through the passanger wheel well..time for another union break..my help is 30 minutes late but i dont really need help until its time to mount it back up
Old 01-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh yea i cant go any further until my help gets here because i have to run to sears for a 12 point 10mm to remove the old pressure plate and install the new clutch and my car is taken apart
Old 01-10-2003, 07:30 PM

sounds like things are going smoothly. Good luck to ya and i wish i had some money right now to work on my car.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY clutch install (SilverCivic2k)

well i got to put it off until tomorrw because sears was closed so i have to get the socket tomorrow its all good
Old 01-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine and it was no problem! Always good to have a friend to help out
Old 01-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY clutch install (BrewerHatch)

its time consuming and basically a pain in the ***. IF you know what your doing, then your fine. best time to install a clutch is before the engine is swapped in, but if your not doing a swap. Get someone with some knowledge of installations to help you.