Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY axle change for eg body styles. slightly diff. for diff. years

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY axle change for eg body styles. slightly diff. for diff. years

I can give ya a little how to... Just no pics right now. If you're going to be doing this on the ground or at your house and there are no pneumatic tools and no lift then this is for you....
***NOTE*** This is nothing more the a little help from me to you. It's not a guide, and i'm not resposible for any damage to the car. If you have any questions then feel free to PM me... Hope the info I left is helpful. ***NOTE***

TOOLS NEEDED:
Jack and stands
32mm Socket
Breaker Bar
17mm Socket and Ratchet
Cotter Key removal tool or some kinna pliers
Pry bar or big flat head screw driver
Ball Joint splitter "Pickle fork" or The puller style
and that SHOULD be about it.

***NOTE*** You could drain the tranny fluid but it's not necessary if you only jack up the one side you're changing the axle on. ***NOTE***

First: Using a 32MM socket and a decent sized breaker bar loosen the nut holding the axle there.

2: Loosen the Lug Nuts and Jack the car up and put it on stands.

3: Remove the wheel

4: Remove 2 Cotter Keys and 2 17mm castle nuts ( One on the lower control arm ball joint and one on the tie rod ball joint)

4a: Remove the 17mm nut and bolt holding the shock in place.

5: Now this part can be a little tricky. I believe it's called a ball joint splitter tool "pickle fork" ( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=761380 ), but anyways you can use that ( 10.00 from the Zone). Or you can use a hammer and hit the part that sticks out a little bit... ( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=922173 https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=761380 ) I would suggest the hitting it or using the puller so you don't ruin the ball joint boot. Then you'll have to get a new ball joint and that is a pain in the ***.

5a: You will most likely have to take a hammer and TAP the axle out through the rotor.

7: Now take a mini pry bar and place it in between the tranny and the axle. Pop it out of the tranny.

7: Pull down on the lower control arm and move the shock assy. to the side.

8: Pull the axle out.

9: Put the axle in the same way you took it out

10: pull the LCA and put the shock assy. back

11: Put the axle through the rotor and thread the 32mm nut hand tight. ( you may have to grab the rotor and push on it to get the axle to "seat" in the tranny and make the axle stick out of the rotor completely to put the nut on )

12: install removed hardware: 2 nuts and 2 cotter keys and 1 nut and bolt

13: tighten the 32mm nut as much as you can while the car is still in the air.

14: Install the wheel and tighten the 32mm nut again

15: Remove the Jack stand and lower the car

16: Tighten the hell out of the 32mm nut and don't forget to notch the beveled part of the nut to the axle.

Hope this helps guys.... Oh and if there is somthing I missed then please add to it. I wrote this up by memory.... Thanks and good luck....

Old 09-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY axle change for eg body styles. slightly diff. for diff. years (Split Image Prez)

good write up all it needs is pics!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY axle change for eg body styles. slightly diff. for diff. years (Art In Motion)

Yeah if I can get some pics then we'll be good to go... thanks

shane
Old 09-25-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: DIY axle change for eg body styles. slightly diff. for diff. years (Split Image Prez)

This is the hard way to do things, save yourself the unneeded trouble of seperating the ball joints by simply unbolting the upper a arms. This will give you more than ample room to remove the axle. Alot less work.