Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY 96-98 Civic Dome Light Fix After Installing Aftermarket Radio

Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: DIY 96-00 Civic Dome Light Fix After Installing Aftermarket Radio

Originally Posted by Wrona
yeah all you need to do is take off the lower cover off where the Accessory charger is
what?? i didn't need to do that.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkrizz
It actually says all of those things... because you installed an aftermarket radio the domelight no longer works, and you should do those steps if you have installed a aftermarket radio and your domelight no longer works lol.
But does the power for the dome light go through the radio area? Why doesn't it work? The dome light gets 12V, and also a slightly lower voltage line because there are 2 brightness settings.

It's kind of like saying hey, when you put a pot of spaghetti on the hood of the car, the car smells like oranges. It doesn't make any sense!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: DIY 96-98 Civic Dome Light Fix After Installing Aftermarket Radio

Only to you. Everybody else gets it. In simplest terms, that circuit runs through the radio. Remove the radio and what happens? The circuit is broken. Power cannot flow through a broken circuit. Short the two wires together and the circuit is restored. Power can flow again through the circuit. Rudimentary electronics.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by danwat1234
But does the power for the dome light go through the radio area? Why doesn't it work? The dome light gets 12V, and also a slightly lower voltage line because there are 2 brightness settings.

It's kind of like saying hey, when you put a pot of spaghetti on the hood of the car, the car smells like oranges. It doesn't make any sense!
The answer to your question will be immediately obvious if you can read the circuit diagram below.

If you don't have a keyless system, then the dome light works pretty much as you described.

If you have a keyless system, however, ground for the dome light is provided through the keyless system located inside the stock radio. Removal of the stock radio breaks the dome light circuit.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danwat1234

This only affects the dome light when placed in the middle position, where the dome light is activated by opening any door or by using the remote entry key fob.

On some models, keyless entry was never offered as an option (typically base models that don't come standard with radios). For these cars you do not need to do anything since the dome light works even without a radio from the factory.

Some other models (usually middle and higher trim levels), the car is pre-wired for remote keyless entry. The keyless entry controller is actually pre-built into the factory radio. You get a fob and program the controller to recognise the fob.

When you remove the factory radio on these higher models, you lose the dome light functionality as discussed above, as well as remote keyless entry if you use that option.

The reason for the dome light not working is because the factory shares the door switch signal with the remote entry system located in the factory radio. Taking the radio out breaks the dome light's access to the door switches. So the dome light will never come on in the middle position.

The purpose of this thread is to provide one way for these models to remove the factory radio and still retain the use of the dome light when a door is opened.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Nobody123. You'll make future Googlers happy.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought a 98 LX and had this issue as well..put my Sony deck in and used a paperclip to jump the dome light to work! I didn't want to cut the main harness. Works like a charm! It didn't come with a remote for keyless so not to worried about that, would like it but not on the list of fixes...for now. Great write up and thanks everyone for your previous experiences.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recently had this problem with my 97 Civic EX, it fixed it great. But now suddenly the drivers side door does not turn on the dome light, but the passengers side door. Also the door switch is good, when my lights are on and door open it has the chime and everything else works great. What could by problem possibly be? Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info - worked for me on my son's 96 EX Coupe. I thought I would add a picture showing which green wiring harness (the two are close to, but not exactly, the same size) and which pins. Used a paper clip with electrical tape to make it easier to hold and insulate the exposed part.
Attached Images