Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda

I stumbled onto some plans for an O2 Simulator.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticl...lator/

Would this work on our Hondas? I think this guy put together this simulator for a toyota.

Anyone out there build their own or got plans for other ones?

Old 06-24-2004, 02:35 PM
foz

Default Re: DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda (takoek9)

someone once gave me a diagram on how to make an O2 simulator, but since I don't throw engine codes, with it dangling in the engine bay, but would like to finally fix it right, so if anyone knows, please shed some light....
Old 06-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda (takoek9)

Between the cost of the individual components, and the time involved in sourcing them and constructing the unit, IMO you're better off with a ready-made simulator from here:

http://o2simulator.com/

I recall that they were offering a Honda-Tech special a while back - $25.00 shipped. You might want to ask if that offer is still available.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda (Padawan)

damn, that's an awesome deal... THANKS!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad I'm OBD1
Old 06-24-2004, 07:24 PM
foz

thanks for the link, I finally bite the bullet and just ordered one, I hate to spend the money 'cuz I have most of the parts already..... and it's only got to last me until I have to time to mini-me and convert to OBD1 ... but it'll work for now I guess
Old 07-01-2004, 04:14 AM
foz

Default Re: DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda (foz)

anyone using one of these?

I'm wiring one in tonight, and have a quick question..
Do I understand the directions right, the O2 sensor remains plugged in?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'd be interesting to see if this works.

The ECU commands a rich/lean state and looks for O2 feedback - I would doubt that this unit is synchronized to the ECU commands - so a code may appear.

And no, you do not need the O2 - this circuit eliminates it.

The thing is, Honda people aren't usually looking to simulate the primary O2 sensor - its the secondary that they are trying to mimic (OBD2 specific) in order to keep the ECU fooled into thinking that the catalytic converter is happy.

The other important thing is that the 2nd O2 doesn't spit out a waveform that looks like the primary O2 - it doesn't oscillate like the front. If it did, this would indicate a catalytic converter failure. The cat uses O2 to do its job - so the signal coming from the 2nd O2 usually hangs around .6-.8v, inidicating a rich condition (or lack of O2, but certainly dead lean on decel), not the .1-.9v swing as seen by the primary O2.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:30 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: DIY: 02 Simulator for Honda (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing is, Honda people aren't usually looking to simulate the primary O2 sensor - its the secondary that they are trying to mimic (OBD2 specific) in order to keep the ECU fooled into thinking that the catalytic converter is happy.

The other important thing is that the 2nd O2 doesn't spit out a waveform that looks like the primary O2 - it doesn't oscillate like the front. If it did, this would indicate a catalytic converter failure. The cat uses O2 to do its job - so the signal coming from the 2nd O2 usually hangs around .6-.8v, inidicating a rich condition (or lack of O2, but certainly dead lean on decel), not the .1-.9v swing as seen by the primary O2.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As you said above, I had assumed that everyone in this thread was looking to eliminate the secondary O2, since they definitely shouldn't try to eliminate the primary O2.

As for the signal, the ECU isn't as picky about the secondary O2 as you might think, so I don't imagine there will be any problems with the unit working. The site even offers a money-back guarantee that it will work as advertised, so it's at least worth a shot.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:10 AM
foz

Cool, I was hoping it eliminated the O2, I am trying to mimic the 2nd, I took the cat off last summer and since then have been driving iwth the secondary just dangling in the engine bay, no CEL but it's running rich (I think rich is the right one not lean)..... I don't drive the car in the winters, and have an obdI ecu and d16z6 I was hoping to get in last winter, but probably won't make it in until this winter...

I'll let y'all know how it works, I'm going to put it in tonight, and the drive home tonight and to work tommorrow should give a good judge of how it works...
Old 07-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool, I was hoping it eliminated the O2, I am trying to mimic the 2nd, I took the cat off last summer and since then have been driving iwth the secondary just dangling in the engine bay, no CEL but it's running rich (I think rich is the right one not lean)..... I don't drive the car in the winters, and have an obdI ecu and d16z6 I was hoping to get in last winter, but probably won't make it in until this winter...

I'll let y'all know how it works, I'm going to put it in tonight, and the drive home tonight and to work tommorrow should give a good judge of how it works...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the car isn't throwing a code, the simulator will serve no purpose (I had assumed you were just looking to prevent a CEL). The secondary O2 isn't responsible for controlling the air/fuel mixture, so the rich condition you describe is unrelated to the fact that your sensor is currently loose in the engine bay.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:38 AM
foz

If I unplug the o2, it throws a code (of course) -- but it's been running richer ever since the cat's been gone, and I was thinking it was since the o2 was reading fresh air, and not exhaust fumes.... wouldn't the ecu be reacting to the fresh air?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I unplug the o2, it throws a code (of course) -- but it's been running richer ever since the cat's been gone, and I was thinking it was since the o2 was reading fresh air, and not exhaust fumes.... wouldn't the ecu be reacting to the fresh air?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only O2 sensor that the ECU uses to regulate closed-loop A/F ratios is the primary O2. The secondary O2's only purpose is to tell the ECU whether the cat. is functioning correctly or not.

Out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that the car is running richer?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
foz

I can be mistaken that it is running richer, but the tailpipe is extensively black, of course this I think can be blamed on going from a header, to resonator to muffler with 2.25 piping..... it's tearing through gas my mpg is constantly worse, and if it's a little cold, or has sat overnight it idles rough, and if it doesn't sit for a few minutes boggs down higher rpms in first and second, but then is fine after it's warmed up, and occasionally feels like it's bogging down in 5th on the highway
**-feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning
-- I have the sensor now so figure it should be better than looking at my o2 dangling at least, and should be easier to hide...
Old 07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
foz

I was just e-mailed from tech at o2imulator.com that I do need to leave the O2 sensor intact, or replace the unsed o2 wire with a 40 ohm 20 watt resisitor
Old 07-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Anybody using this on Integra ?

How come the site said it wont work on All Acura.
http://www.o2simulator.com/dow...k.pdf