Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake

this DIY is similar to sumone else's post a while ago, but i figured id revive suttin similar to it. this is beneficial to anyone who has a short ram. this will scoop up the air the same way a long ram will. but it will not cause a hydrolock when raining since it is not enclosed or pressurized in the engine bay. this is just a fast way to direct the fast cold flowing air into the ***** intake. im half asleep watching the yankee/red sox game too, so mah bad for not being so clear on instructions. GOO YANKEESS!! anyway, you need:

- "L" bracket $.05
- 90 degree angled 3" hose/piping from home depot $2.29
- 2 screw nuts $.10
- 2 screw bolts $.20
- 2 locking washers $.08
- drill n bits
- 20 minutes

get one of these too just in case you take a break

it's stock.. dont worry about it

closer view. take off intake filter

drill a hole on the 3" hose. this is where you will hold and support it using the L bracket.

this is how it will look like:

drop down the lower part of the hose and fit it along the rim of the opening. mark a spot that you would like to drill a hole in so you can secure it with another screw bolt

semi-finished ... laziness happens... haha

finished scoop
Old 10-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (JinDIESEL)

thats teh gay that you covered your itr motor under there but yeah, good job
Old 10-17-2004, 09:01 PM

no comment
Old 10-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (gs R inteqras)

lol.i actually coverd the zc since there was a lot of kids passing by the road.. i didnt want them to see the pos engine that i got. it's embarassing.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (gs R inteqras)

I have that same Mag

Good write up
Old 10-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (Luserkid)

yeah nice little project , i would just be ghetto and stick dryer hose up there
Old 10-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Electrician

Ghetto. Become friends with user civic_rice on ths board. Another gheeto H-Ter.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (ek9spooner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9spooner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah nice little project , i would just be ghetto and stick dryer hose up there </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which isnt to say that this project is any less ghetto than drier hose
Old 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (Castor)

i wouldnt spend the time to screw it in, maybe some duct tape
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (ek9spooner)

Nice writeup!!

Gets a from me. I'll be doing this soon.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 PM

where do u have it sitting? what does it look like from the front view of the car
Old 10-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (JinDIESEL)

good diy
Old 10-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (frankcivic)

Where's the before and after horsepower comparison?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (Marauder)

That's an interesting idea........I don't know how functional it really would be, but then again, you never know till you try.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where's the before and after horsepower comparison?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, and congrats.... you probably just wasted time doing nothing for your performance :-D
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (BigZ88)

Thats completely pointless.

The stock airbox assembly has an arm that reaches down in the same way, why not just cut that?

Also, you are still sucking the air in from the engine. Unless you build a sheild that makes the filter only suck in air coming out of that pipe, you've wasted your time.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (BauleyCivic)

I used to run a setup similar to this, and interestingly enought, it works. The filter is cold to the touch after a drag run. It also stays cold to the touch during street driving. The only time it doesn't to anything is when the car is sitting still.

Sorry to **** on the Cheerios of all the naysayers, but firsthand experience states that it works.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ghetto. Become friends with user civic_rice on ths board. Another gheeto H-Ter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i agree, and congrats.... you probably just wasted time doing nothing for your performance :-D </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats completely pointless.

The stock airbox assembly has an arm that reaches down in the same way, why not just cut that?

Also, you are still sucking the air in from the engine. Unless you build a sheild that makes the filter only suck in air coming out of that pipe, you've wasted your time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what it's all about. POSITIVE, ENCOURAGING, MOTIVATIONAL advice! keep it coming, guys!

so ghetto = creative???. since when did a DO-IT-YOURSELF become ghetto??? why am i going to buy something that costs me $50 or more when $5, a trip to Home Depot, and some muscle/effort, can get me almost the same result?

oh wait.. i forgot to ask mommy and daddy to give me money so i can buy a fancy brand name carbon fiber intake scoop. like the real men and women in this forum, i work hard for my money, and money isnt exactly water righ now. as for my stock airbox, i obviously dont have it anymore, which explains the scoop.

================================================== ==

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gamby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to run a setup similar to this, and interestingly enough, it works. The filter is cold to the touch after a drag run. It also stays cold to the touch during street driving.

The only time it doesn't to anything is when the car is sitting still. &lt; - a given

Sorry to **** on the Cheerios of all the naysayers, but first hand experience states that it works. yea **** on em all.. **** on em hard hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for that ACTUAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE testimonial, gamby.. im glad that someone actually said something meaningful. hopefully, anyone and everyone that tries this mod will get some gains too..

Modified by JinDIESEL at 5:00 PM 10/18/2004
Old 10-18-2004, 01:16 PM

someone else just PM'd me and told me that this works.. not dyno'd but it definitely cools down the air going in towards the intake
Old 10-18-2004, 01:28 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JinDIESEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone else just PM'd me and told me that this works.. not dyno'd but it definitely cools down the air going in towards the intake </TD></TR></TABLE>
That's about equivalent to saying "I saw it myself in person, but I wasn't there . . . "

Something like this is difficult to dyno anyway, since the car is sitting stationary and you don't have cool air moving past it.

You have the right idea going, but the little bit you've done isn't helping as much is it could be. As mentioned, a heat shield would be a good idea, as well as making a hole in your bumper to feed air into that duct. However, considering you made it out of dryer duct and packaging tape, I get the feeling you're going more for the "Home Depot" approach. I have a Home Depot lip and brake ducts on my race car so I can appreciate that
Old 10-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (Targa250R)

i was going to do this same duct for the inside. then get one of those 4inch duct reducers cut my fog light grill out and put it there and connect it with the drier flex pipes. then get some ply wood i got laying around and make a heatshield. maybe i'll get a sheet of aluminum and make it out of that.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (hayabusa160)

i still would like to see some sort of air temp. comparison with and with out it. The guys first hand experience about his filter being cool to the touch?....um, mine stays cool to the touch for the most part, even after long drives.....when i had and AEM, the actual TUBE got a bit warm, but that will happen from engine temps..... Until you completely seal it off, and get a proven smooth duct with large bend radius and an actual high pressure area at the inlet of the duct, it will infact be completely non-functional.

We aren't knocking your creativity and i'm saying nothing against DIY, but sorry dude, YOU have done nothing to help. also, study air flow through a pipe and you will see that those bolts sticking out don't help either.....its not really a big deal in your case since the entire thing does nothing, but obstructions like that can actually cause pretty decent negative effects on flow.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JinDIESEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> [/QUOTE
[QUOTE=JinDIESEL]oh wait.. i forgot to ask mommy and daddy to give me money so i can buy a fancy brand name carbon fiber intake scoop. like the real men and women in this forum, i work hard for my money, and money isnt exactly water righ now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure ya did.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gamby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to run a setup similar to this, and interestingly enought, it works. The filter is cold to the touch after a drag run. It also stays cold to the touch during street driving. The only time it doesn't to anything is when the car is sitting still.

Sorry to **** on the Cheerios of all the naysayers, but firsthand experience states that it works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and this guy really sounds like he know what he is talking about...
The metal piece on my intake was cold so I know it was working.

Like someone else said it would work allot better if you built a sheild around your filter that way it didn't suck as much hot air form inside the bay. i'm not sure where the nd of that hose is going eigther but a nice air duct or scoop in your bumper or something would help out alot.

I give you an A for effert

and a for covering up your motor.
You got something to hide?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM

a good way to get some power out of that would be to seal it so that it only sucks in the cold air and to also run a tube to a high pressure air zone and make some sort of scoop... this will be really beneficial.. especially at higher speeds
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake (BigZ88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i still would like to see some sort of air temp. comparison with and with out it. The guys first hand experience about his filter being cool to the touch?....um, mine stays cool to the touch for the most part, even after long drives.....when i had and AEM, the actual TUBE got a bit warm, but that will happen from engine temps..... Until you completely seal it off, and get a proven smooth duct with large bend radius and an actual high pressure area at the inlet of the duct, it will infact be completely non-functional.

We aren't knocking your creativity and i'm saying nothing against DIY, but sorry dude, YOU have done nothing to help. also, study air flow through a pipe and you will see that those bolts sticking out don't help either.....its not really a big deal in your case since the entire thing does nothing, but obstructions like that can actually cause pretty decent negative effects on flow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha

Quick Reply: DIY: "short-ram-memory-fab-intake-but-you-still-get-cold-air" intake