Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

distributor problem or what? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor problem or what? HELP!

ok b16a3...p30 ecu...92 civic LX....car feels EXTREMELY sluggish and misses occasionally so here is what i did....checking ignition timing...put the car into bypass mode with the service plug under the dash and a jumper wire...hooked up the timing light and the clamp around the #1 spark plug wire, looked with the timing light and i was about 10 degrees retarded i did not touch the dizzy AT ALL before this and all distributor bolts were tight, i adjusted the ignition timing and double checked it, shut the car off took it out of bypass mode and went on a short test drive car still run very sluggishly, somewhat better but still very sluggish....drove back and re-checked ignition timing, now im 3-4 degrees advanced checked distributor bolts, all tight...re-set ignition timing took the car out of bypass mode and drove it approx 50 feet and it was obviously running like *** so i turned it right back around and came home, hooked up the timing light again and the timing mark was no where near the pointer....

everytime i checked and adjusted ignition timing it was in bypass mode with everything hooked up correctly

before i drove it i took it out of bypass mode

i tightened the bolts up everytime and double checked the timing to make sure it was still on before i drove it

ICM, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires have all been replaced with new ones recently.

i have no CELs

im thinking i either burned up a dizzy or my ecu is bad and messing up my ignition timing

has anyone had this problem before? i need some help cause this SUCKS my car is slower than a d15b8!

oh i have a OBD1 p28 but it's not chipped yet it's still set-up with z6 fuel maps and stuff would i be able to tell anything by plugging that in even though its still for the single cam?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: distributor problem or what? HELP! (1jdmferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1jdmferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok b16a3...p30 ecu...92 civic LX....car feels EXTREMELY sluggish and misses occasionally so here is what i did....checking ignition timing...put the car into bypass mode with the service plug under the dash and a jumper wire...hooked up the timing light and the clamp around the #1 spark plug wire, looked with the timing light and i was about 10 degrees retarded i did not touch the dizzy AT ALL before this and all distributor bolts were tight, i adjusted the ignition timing and double checked it, shut the car off took it out of bypass mode and went on a short test drive car still run very sluggishly, somewhat better but still very sluggish....drove back and re-checked ignition timing, now im 3-4 degrees advanced checked distributor bolts, all tight...re-set ignition timing took the car out of bypass mode and drove it approx 50 feet and it was obviously running like *** so i turned it right back around and came home, hooked up the timing light again and the timing mark was no where near the pointer....

everytime i checked and adjusted ignition timing it was in bypass mode with everything hooked up correctly

before i drove it i took it out of bypass mode

i tightened the bolts up everytime and double checked the timing to make sure it was still on before i drove it

ICM, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires have all been replaced with new ones recently.

i have no CELs

im thinking i either burned up a dizzy or my ecu is bad and messing up my ignition timing

has anyone had this problem before? i need some help cause this SUCKS my car is slower than a d15b8!

oh i have a OBD1 p28 but it's not chipped yet it's still set-up with z6 fuel maps and stuff would i be able to tell anything by plugging that in even though its still for the single cam?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either the timing light or the signal is wrong... I know that isn't much help but that's what's happening...

If the timing is changing w/o any changes being made either the ECU, the Dist. or the timing light are bad...

Frankly if it were my car what I would do is time it by hand and get it running as good as I could... if it continues to be all eractic then I'd go through the diagnose steps for each component until I figured out what the culprit is.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i threw in my friends BRAND NEW distributor from distributor king and re adjusted ignition timing and everything but at full adjustment it is still not on, it's alot better in terms of being slow but it's still very slothlike haha. like i said though if you grab your distributor and turn it clockwise it can not go any further but it's not enough, any one else thinking maybe computer? im not sure i need some input from some hondudes
Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bout, crank the car, let it get to full operating temp, idle at a steady 650rpm or so and check it again.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Is your cam timing correct?

What's the history of the engine... IE did it used to run well before or it's a new swap/buy that has always run crappy?

certainly SOUNDS like a computer problem but it could be the cam timing...

My z6 was set wrong at the dealer and ran like a pig for a LONG time then started to knock... when I checked it the cam timing was a tooth advanced... once I set it straight it was like a new car.