Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dislocated / elongated axle repair mini-howto

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dislocated / elongated axle repair mini-howto

I'll start this off by saying, your first course of action is to not let me happen to you! Be careful while removing and installing an axle and don't pull on it to get it out or let it hang from one set of splines!

That said, I should also let you know that some people have had luck with wiggling the joint around to get it to fall back into place. If that doesn't work.. read on..

The giveaway that you stretched your axle out, is of course the fact that it is too long. My B16A axle which is supposed to be 480mm was 520mm after I let it hang while removing an alternator. You don't have to take off the boot, but I did just to show you guys everything.

Basically you've got 3 rollers inside attached to a solid shaft, and on the other side you've got 3 grooves that the rollers slide into. Notice the band crimp tool... it's a very helpful thing to have when putting a band clamp back on.

Since my rollers wouldn't wiggle back in, I had to tap them back in. To do this: put a block of wood on the ground, grab the shaft right above the inboard boot, and tap the side that connects to the intermediate shaft as show in the picture. Remember that you typically don't need to remove the boot to do this.

If you did remove the boot, remember to position the axle to the right length before putting it back together!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dislocated / elongated axle repair mini-howto (hondapwr)

If you had to tap it back in, you have the bearings in the wrong slots in the race. They should always slide in without resistance.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Dislocated / elongated axle repair mini-howto (MightyMouseTech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MightyMouseTech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you had to tap it back in, you have the bearings in the wrong slots in the race. They should always slide in without resistance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It clicks sometimes when the car is turning now. I know I put the bearings back into the same race it came out of originally, because I marked them.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dislocated / elongated axle repair mini-howto (hondapwr)

bump-

a set of axles of mine is like this, and I can't seem to get it back in.

any advice?