Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Disconnecting power steering. Ghetto??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disconnecting power steering. Ghetto??

I am going to be swapping out my D15B7 with power steering for a built D16Z6 that I have finished. I want to disconnect the power steering, but don't really want to pull it all out. I was thinking of just leaving the power steering belt off when I swap the motors. Is this o.k. or will something happen when I go and drive it. I figured I could leave the belt off and the it would be disconnected. Am I wrong and is this a quick "ghetto" way of doing it. I just want to leave power steering in place, but disconnected. Just incase I ever sell it, I can throw the belt back on and it would be worth more. Can anyone help me out? All help would be greatly appreciated .
Old 07-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnecting power steering. Ghetto?? (Bond)

^^^ Bump for some much needed advice .
Old 07-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well...sometimes it takes more than 15minutes for someone to answer...

There is nothing wrong with leaving the belt off...but I really dont see the point of doing that.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well...sometimes it takes more than 15minutes for someone to answer...

There is nothing wrong with leaving the belt off...but I really dont see the point of doing that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I need to learn some patience. Will it damage anything? The point of doing it is so I don't have power steering. I want to leave it in place in case I ever sell it as a car with power steering is a plus and worth more over a car that doesn't have it.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bond)

nothing bad will happen alot of people do it but me personlay i would take it all out and keep it so you can put it back in if you sell the car. the only thing i noticed when i took off just the belt was the resivoir over flowed and it wasnt even filled up all the way when the ps was all intackt. so you might wanna drain it.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What car are you swapping? Take out your steering rack, sell it, and buy a shorter ratio rack, 3/4 turn to lock.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: (EG-SI(rII))

Taking off the belt will stop the parasitic HP loss, but it really only robs tons of power at low RPM's. If you are willign to go to the effort to take off the blet just pull it all out.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xEnderx)

another thing you need to consider is people giving you shitty advice on these forums. if your car has a rack and pinion for power steering, thats what those parts are able to handle, if you want to eliminate your power steering, i would consider getting a rack from a car that originally had No power steering. not doing so will over time do damage to your original rack n pinion.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beav)

Beav is right, after time you run the risk of damaging your rack
Old 07-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its going to take a while for the rack to get any damage from this. Hell, many people are running power racks w/ removal kits and I have not read of any issues (and its been years for some).
Old 07-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Beav is right, after time you run the risk of damaging your rack</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's wrong.the fluid acts only as a hydraulic fluid,not a lubricant.
not running the belt-or removing all the components for that matter-won't damage the rack.
i've run my power rack with no fluid for over five years with no problems at all.i've also done this mod to numerous cars with no problems-some of them have been done as long as my car too.
you can remove just the belt.the only real downfall is that you'll still be pushing all that fluid around,and it will make steering effort slightly higher than if you drained the fluid.my recommendation is to remove the belt,and see how you like it.if you want to keep it that way,just remove everything(and keep it in case you ever sell the car),and drain the fluid.that'll lower the effort a little,and remove that clutter and weight from the engine bay.
Chris
Old 07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that's wrong.the fluid acts only as a hydraulic fluid,not a lubricant.
not running the belt-or removing all the components for that matter-won't damage the rack.
i've run my power rack with no fluid for over five years with no problems at all.i've also done this mod to numerous cars with no problems-some of them have been done as long as my car too.
you can remove just the belt.the only real downfall is that you'll still be pushing all that fluid around,and it will make steering effort slightly higher than if you drained the fluid.my recommendation is to remove the belt,and see how you like it.if you want to keep it that way,just remove everything(and keep it in case you ever sell the car),and drain the fluid.that'll lower the effort a little,and remove that clutter and weight from the engine bay.
Chris
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the help. Is there a way to drain the fluid without removing anything? I don't really care about the clutter, but would like to make it a little easier to turn. So is there an easy way of draining it?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the help. Is there a way to drain the fluid without removing anything? I don't really care about the clutter, but would like to make it a little easier to turn. So is there an easy way of draining it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes.if you look under the car,you'll see where the hoses enter the rack.you can disconnect these with the car on jackstands,and a drain pan underneath.then just slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock until all the fluid is out.reconnect the lines and you're set.
chris
Old 07-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yes.if you look under the car,you'll see where the hoses enter the rack.you can disconnect these with the car on jackstands,and a drain pan underneath.then just slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock until all the fluid is out.reconnect the lines and you're set.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the help .