Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Disable key warning beeper? (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable key warning beeper? (Yes I searched)

Anyone know how to disable the beeper that comes on when you open the door with your key in the ignition? I get annoyed at leaving my ignition in ON to play music with the doors open instead of just ACC, cause the beeper beeps the whole time... any way to disable it? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the fuse box under the driver's side dash, but I can pinpoint it to somewhere under there...

BTW my car is a 5th gen civic coupe...
Old 08-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (M-EJ1)

unplug the little button in the driver's doorjamb. push the little cover off, there's a phillips screw, take it out, pull the button out, unplug, and stick back in.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (civicdxtyper)

Won't that disable the dome light as well?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look under the dash and pull out the beeper itself
Old 08-12-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (salbaje)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by salbaje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look under the dash and pull out the beeper itself</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the problem, I can't find it under there. I know it's coming from somewhere near the fusebox underneath the dash but I can't pinpoint it and I'm a little hesitant to just start ripping stuff out...

Anyone have a diagram or a pic, or even just a description of what it looks like?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:48 PM

ive said it before and ive said it again...there is a fuse, but it will eliminate the dome light.

WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE WANT TO DO THIS?! That little 'beeper' has saved me from locking my keys in so many times. sometimes i just dont know...
Old 08-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a little square beeper piece ill see if i can get pic for you
Old 08-12-2003, 11:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know how to disable the beeper that comes on when you open the door with your key in the ignition? I get annoyed at leaving my ignition in ON to play music with the doors open instead of just ACC, cause the beeper beeps the whole time... any way to disable it? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the fuse box under the driver's side dash, but I can pinpoint it to somewhere under there...

BTW my car is a 5th gen civic coupe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you look at the door you will see the button that triggers the noise. If it is pushed the noise will stop, but your door light won't work. You can still turn the light on however, it just won't work with the door. It's best to make a switch for it, so that way you can flip it when you need your door lights to work or just want the noise to stop. I have one on my car. It takes less than 30min to do if you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper?

lol i never have this problem, i just give the key another turn to the next step and it beeps for a long time a couple times, and shuts off. no modifications needed. and i can still keep the radio on.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (JaeOne3345)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaeOne3345 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i never have this problem, i just give the key another turn to the next step and it beeps for a long time a couple times, and shuts off. no modifications needed. and i can still keep the radio on.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

just hope your battery doesnt die!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (SleepyDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepyDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive said it before and ive said it again...there is a fuse, but it will eliminate the dome light.

WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE WANT TO DO THIS?! That little 'beeper' has saved me from locking my keys in so many times. sometimes i just dont know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

My alarm has keyless entry, so I never worry about locking my keys in my car. However, it's also passive, so when I get gas, if I close the door with the ignition off the alarm arms itself. That's why I keep the door open, but it keeps beeping. I'd love to just disable the beeper but I've never even bothered to worry about it that much.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (SleepyDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepyDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive said it before and ive said it again...there is a fuse, but it will eliminate the dome light.

WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE WANT TO DO THIS?! That little 'beeper' has saved me from locking my keys in so many times. sometimes i just dont know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, read my original post and rethink yours. I see the beeper as a nuisance, I hate hearing it beep at me whenever I have the door open and the radio on in ACC... turning the key to ON drains more juice from the battery and there's absolutely no reason to have to do that if I just want to listen to my radio with the door open.

Your other point about locking your keys in is also not an issue, as my car (95 EX) has power door locks, which means I pretty much CAN'T lock my keys in my car. The driver's side lock cannot be locked from the inside or outside unless the door is completely closed, and it will not open from the inside or outside if it is locked. I MUST use my key on the outside if I want to lock my doors.

Stop being so hostile, it's my car... I can do what I want to it.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:40 AM

Your car, your prerogative
Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (Smith Wise)

Where's this beeper at because I need to get rid of it in my 94 EX. Don't ask why, I just do. Pics would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (IslandSi)

Its located on the lock cylinder/ignition. Its a little black peice held in by one screw. It has two wirings leading to it, unscrew it, and you'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (dxcoupe.)

On my 95 EX I'm pretty sure it was on the top of the under-dash fuse box. But it was such a pain to disable I just unpluged the door switch.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (dxcoupe.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dxcoupe. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its located on the lock cylinder/ignition. Its a little black peice held in by one screw. It has two wirings leading to it, unscrew it, and you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but that's the thing I taped shut so my intermittent wipers work. I need a way to make the buzzer shut off.

Unplugging door switch....I want my dome light. So that's a no-go.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you just put your windows down, then theres no beep and you can still listen to the radio.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (JdelMsolG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you just put your windows down, then theres no beep and you can still listen to the radio.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable key warning beeper? (n00bcivicowner)

pull ur fuse box out....look behind it......there's going to be a black or gray box behind the fuse box....pull the box out......and open the box up........there's going to be a small little speaker on the circuit board......desolder it.....that's it.......

took me a while when i was redoing my interior, but i found it....... this was like 5 years ago

hope it helps
Old 06-29-2006, 12:15 AM
H-T White Ops

My stock ignition was fugged up when somebody tried to steal the car. Instead of blowing $300+ on a new stock one I bought a universal $10 one from autozone. Works great except that the "key in" switch needed to be made for the intermittent wipers to work. That switch can't be modified to wik with this universal switch. So I just permanently closed that key switch. This however makes the damn beeper go off anytime the car door is open. Not a huge annoyance, but it's annoying.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I wish I could worry about locking my keys in my car but I can't...why might u ask? Because my Jetta won't lock until the key is out of the car, the GTI has keyless entry, and my honda won't lock w/ the door open (you have to use the key to lock it)

No, my problem is my headlights, and one day it's going to cost me bigggg time :-\
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my honda won't lock w/ the door open (you have to use the key to lock it) </TD></TR></TABLE>

It'll lock. Pull on the door handle while switching your lock button over.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

the outside door handle? I didn't know that.

I guess I'll try that - iz a good feature to have, I remember once on my probe I accidently hit the lock button getting out of the car..needless to say I couldn't get back in (and it was running too :-\) had to hitchhike with some random pot-smoking jamachian back to my house to get a key and then get a ride back to my car O.o

WHat a day that turned out to be, but hey, I'll try that, thx..
Old 06-29-2006, 12:40 AM
H-T White Ops

inside door handle. Pull that with your middle and index fingers while flipping the lock button with your thumb.

Quick Reply: Disable key warning beeper? (Yes I searched)