Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dimming Head/Fog/Brake Lights, Bogging Engine, Bad Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimming Head/Fog/Brake Lights, Bogging Engine, Bad Alternator?

Before, i start off, let me give a little advice to people who are thinking of skimping on foglights and getting that ebay special to save 40 bucks... DON'T DO NOT NAY! Please save your self some f***ing headaches and $150 dollars of crap your gonna need to replace to keep them running. Get some OEM ones from like HandA and please do not make my mistake. Reliability = Cheap.

Well thats where my story begins, I was fixing one of my foglights (again) and when i got it running (again) i took it out for a quick test drive to see how they looked on the road. Heres where the wierd starts. I hit my brakes and my lights flash off and on really quickly. first i thought it was just my fogs but i turn on my headlights and... same thing!?! well i test it out about a hundred more times and i begin to realize that when my brake lights illuminate, it kills my head/foglights for a split millisecond. so i keep playing with the brake/head/fog light combination and realize that when i turn on the lights i can also SLIGHTLY hear my engine bog down for a halfsecond, rpms are untouched as far as i can see but i can still hear it. soo is my alternator taking a crap or what?

P.S. All tests except the first were done at a strong idle around 700rpms

P.S.S. '00 Civic Dx 2dr

Last edited by Romo Pyro; 12-06-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you hit your brakes its normal for the engine to bog a bit and lights dim. just a slight bit though. the engine bogs because the brake booster is connected to your mani by a vacuume hose and puts a load on the engine when pressed. as for the lights going off, your batt maybe getting weak and it cant handle the sudden loads anymore. get your batt tested. remember that even though it may show 12.6v doesn't mean the batt is ok. its the amps that matter
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Um, what did you do to "fix" your foglight?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Um, what did you do to "fix" your foglight?

Some electrical tape and a razorblade fixed a bad rusty ground, and extended a wire that was sitting too close to the bulb itself and had started to melt. That was the easy part, I had just bought a new harness too cuz the relay on the interior under-dash harness stopped working. But before that, after i had just bought them, whoever i bought them from(i forget right now someone on ebay) had done a really shitty wiring job and there was a loose connection that took me a week to find, one of the wires that went to the switch wasnt pushed in fully, it just looked like it was, but it had no contact when it was plugged in, not to mention the bulbs i got blew out shortly after i got them, and GOD knows how many fuses ive blown cuz there were no instructions when i got them, and i couldnt find any untill a friends suggested HandA. um... after i plugged the harness into the fuse box i needed to pull them out for something and the wires came out of the plugs cuz they werent crimped right, that was a bitch, ended up ghetto-ing some pigtails. Harness $76 (+new switch cuz the one i got was CRAP you had to push really hard to make it click to the "on" position) / Bulbs $40 / Fuses $5. So no it wasnt exactly 150 but to maintain but compared to my friends OEM ones that hes never had problems with, i would have payed that much in the first place so save me the trouble of keeping these running.

Originally Posted by SOHC_4dr
when you hit your brakes its normal for the engine to bog a bit and lights dim. just a slight bit though. the engine bogs because the brake booster is connected to your mani by a vacuume hose and puts a load on the engine when pressed. as for the lights going off, your batt maybe getting weak and it cant handle the sudden loads anymore. get your batt tested. remember that even though it may show 12.6v doesn't mean the batt is ok. its the amps that matter
Well check this out, this morning my car wouldnt start, it wouldnt even turn on, my neg terminal on the battery had come loose, so i am thinking that it was also off while that light stuff was happening, that could be why it was drastic enough to catch my attention.
and thank you about telling be about the brake booster thing, that was weird too and i didnt know what was going on, you saved my from having to post another thread lol, oh and i'd do a smily with a thumbs up but with the new HT idk how to do that... gheey. thanks tho!