Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   dilemma... (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/dilemma-1070562/)

dso 11-29-2004 08:23 PM

dilemma...

ok i have an eg6, hence the user and forum name, and i have the money for a complete b16a2 swap installed with a clutch, flywheel, mounts, etc. but i'm not sure i'f i'm doing the right thing. why you ask? well first off i'm 16 and have been saving the money for about two years now, and the time has come where i can do the swap, but i'll be left practically penniless, but with a dope ass ride. on the other hand i could wait two more years be around 10k richer but still with a POS. that is my main dilemma. another option(dilemma) that is in the back of my mind, is wait another year and instead of doing a b16a2 swap do a b18c swap, but this also brings up the fact that then i still would be penniless and now only 8 months away from college with less time to make money to go to college with than the original plan. idk what to do i just was wondering what you guys think and i welcome other suggestions.

Ricey McRicerton 11-29-2004 08:25 PM

Re: dilemma... (EG6_tuner)

Okay, coming from someone who's been in your shoes let me help you out.

1. You don't have an EG6. You live in the states. You are asking about a B16 swap. You have an EH2 or EH3 most likely. Check your VIN.

2. Save the money until your stock motor dies. Invest it, save it, do something other than waste it on a Civic. You'll regret it like I do and won't have any way to get your money back out of it.

saywhat 11-29-2004 08:42 PM

Ditto Ricey - save your money, by the time you are out of college there will be bigger and better cars to put your money into, if you are still interested in it by that time anyway.

NineTwoSi 11-29-2004 08:51 PM

Re: dilemma... (Ricey McRicerton)

You have a valid point Ricey from a financial standpoint but if we all looked at it from that point of view then there wouldn't be a Honda-tech... People do it for the love of the vehicle... Not all of us can afford bigger or "better" cars or don't even want them to begin with. I love Hondas because I was introduced to them at a young age and had a good experience with them. I have an EH3 now and at this point in my life I wouldn't rather have any other car. It's a cheap car, it's easy to mod and it's fun to drive and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about my car. I know I will never get out of it what I put into it, but hobbies are good things and working on cars is not a bad hobby to have. Gain knowledge of vehicles through working on cars yourself! It's rewarding and can benefit you financially if you don't have to run to mechanic for every oil change or brake job, etc., etc...

adictionbass 11-29-2004 09:26 PM

Re: dilemma... (NineTwoSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NineTwoSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a valid point Ricey from a financial standpoint but if we all looked at it from that point of view then there wouldn't be a Honda-tech... People do it for the love of the vehicle... Not all of us can afford bigger or "better" cars or don't even want them to begin with. I love Hondas because I was introduced to them at a young age and had a good experience with them. I have an EH3 now and at this point in my life I wouldn't rather have any other car. It's a cheap car, it's easy to mod and it's fun to drive and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about my car. I know I will never get out of it what I put into it, but hobbies are good things and working on cars is not a bad hobby to have. Gain knowledge of vehicles through working on cars yourself! It's rewarding and can benefit you financially if you don't have to run to mechanic for every oil change or brake job, etc., etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

very very well said. I just made the decision you are in the process of making, but on a little bigger scale. I am now 19, have been working since i was 14. I made like 6 and a quarter for years, then i steped up to working as a tech at a honda dealership at $10 an hour. All this time, ive been saving about 80% of my cash just waiting to start a project. Meanwhile, i was attending a community college for my first year and said screw it, im going to build a car. Its what i always wanted to do. I have a paid off 95 coupe and i picked up a del sol shell from my buddy. I bought my motor, started getting parts, got the cage in, got it painted and im just starting to put it back together. I figue i will have 11-12k into this with the cost of the car and i have enjoyed every step of the process. Just stupid stuff like towing it from place to place, helping design the cage, picking paint, going throug the whole process, and now putting it all together. Currently in my 2nd years of college at UMBC for mechanical engineering, i have just about no money left, but no regrets; i love my car, its mine, i built it, its the only one like it, and i bet i will like it even more with the 400 poines shes going to be pushing.
That was long sorry, but if its something you really want, go ahead and do it man.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Patrick_S 11-29-2004 11:11 PM

Re: dilemma... (adictionbass)

i'm 17 and spent all my money on a b18c1 swap and i think its worth it https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

murmur9 11-30-2004 12:18 AM

remember the alamo https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

xkpjokerx 11-30-2004 12:31 AM

Re: dilemma... (murmur9)

hmm....
hmm....
if u saved for a swap go for it....
money u can always earn back....
do it while your young.....i guarrantee u wont have time for it by the time u reach late 20's to 30's

som3on3_10 11-30-2004 01:00 AM

Here's my take on this.....If you truly love this kind of a hobby, do it! When you see a modified car haul ass on the streets and if this sudden rush goes through your body, do it! But if you're going to do this because it's the "IN" thing to do, don't waste your time and money. I've known so many people back in the days that spent a grip of money buying parts to build a race car because it was the "IN" thing to do just to sell off the parts in the end. BIG waste of money!! So if this is something you truly love, do your thing because you will love it forever, no matter what age.

eJone powereD 11-30-2004 01:03 AM

Re: dilemma... (NineTwoSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NineTwoSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a valid point Ricey from a financial standpoint but if we all looked at it from that point of view then there wouldn't be a Honda-tech... People do it for the love of the vehicle... Not all of us can afford bigger or "better" cars or don't even want them to begin with. I love Hondas because I was introduced to them at a young age and had a good experience with them. I have an EH3 now and at this point in my life I wouldn't rather have any other car. It's a cheap car, it's easy to mod and it's fun to drive and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about my car. I know I will never get out of it what I put into it, but hobbies are good things and working on cars is not a bad hobby to have. Gain knowledge of vehicles through working on cars yourself! It's rewarding and can benefit you financially if you don't have to run to mechanic for every oil change or brake job, etc., etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

couldnt have said it any better myself...if i were you, id do the swap...that is if youre really into this hobby of fixing up cars...

94_HATCH 11-30-2004 02:25 AM

Re: dilemma... (JDmEGmaniac)

I would say do the swap but only after you save a bit more money. Right now you have just enough for the swap but what if some unexpected expenses come up? If you still wanna do it now without breaking your pockets do the swap yourself. You will get a lot more satisfaction from doing the work yourself than paying someone to do it for you.

When I first got my hatch i spent 1 grand right away on performance parts only, not including engine swap. Now one year later i have about $4500+ into a car that i only spent $1800 on. Im never even gonna see half of what i put into the car but I would I do it again? Yup, in a heartbeat https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

The people i've met, knowledge i've gained, hurdles overcome or just pride of finishing something I worked so hard and long for far outweigh the money ive spent https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

DC-4-Drew 11-30-2004 02:59 AM

Re: dilemma... (94_HATCH)

This has brought up a good point. There are not guarentees that you will even wake up tomorrow. Live life now. Take your cash and do with it what you want. I have a b16a3 in my sol currently and it is great! I am currently spending a large chunk on a ls/vtec and still working and going to school full time. Where this is a will there is a way!! GO FOR IT! Hell, you might slip on your girls panties and break your neck tonight and will have never experienced or owned a good honda. That is a fucking tragedy. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Drew

TGrant 11-30-2004 03:21 AM

i wish i could save money for a swap

all i want is a boosted z6 but im stupid and blow it on other things like my girlfreind and food, but i did just get my car paid off so that will help a little

HatchEh2 11-30-2004 03:55 AM

Re: (Sanitary6Gen)

well, i say if u really love the aspect of cars and the thrill of driving your finished work, do it...LATER, dont blow all ur money at once, trust me... you never know when that precious baby of yours will get crushed, stolen, etc. I had a pretty bad accident this summer because of a damn DEER! the pos fucker ran out in front of me ..driving at night, tired, sober...ended up swerveing and hitting a curb... broke my wrist in 2 places, couldnt work for a few weeks (with my modding lifestyle, i lived check by check so that was a bite in the ass) bent my EH2's frame, my rims where messed up, my windsheild, fender, rad sup, axle, spindle, control arm, ball joint... the list goes on... Insurance wasnt gonna cover shit because i cant prove there really was a deer since i didnt hit it....
All in all, i had a USE-to-be nice car in my garage and zip in my account... my life was screwed up and its just NOW starting to pick up again....
Now with all these theives around... im not even sure i want to put more money into it... and either way ill never blow all my money on it at once.. all it means is ill be prepared for something bad, only my car will come together alot slower..
Its up to u, hope my 2 cents helped put some valuable thoughts in your head. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Modified by HatchEh2 at 8:41 AM 11/30/2004

scottiemac 11-30-2004 04:03 AM

Re: (Sanitary6Gen)

I'd say do it. Like other ppl said, you only live once. I figured since I have a guaranteed paycheck for another 2 years, I'd go out and get what I wanted. I bought a shell and it's taking me forever to get all the missing parts. I'm almost done with the missing items. Haven't regretted it yet!

james p. 11-30-2004 04:18 AM

Re: (SilentCivic)

Sell your soul and get a K series https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

adictionbass 11-30-2004 09:59 AM

Re: (james p.)

get a geezer and do the swap yourself. You will be much happier.

spooncivic1 11-30-2004 11:05 AM

save money for college and another car

Hatchy-Ownzjo0 11-30-2004 11:29 AM

Re: dilemma... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Save the money until your stock motor dies. Invest it, save it, do something other than waste it on a Civic. You'll regret it like I do and won't have any way to get your money back out of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif Well put.. I wish i had the 10 grand+ I've had to put into my civic back and invested in the stock market.. I could have turned that 10 grand into 20 by now.. Oh well.. Live and learn. http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif

dso 11-30-2004 11:54 AM

all of y'all give really good suggestions and i'm still not a 100% sure on what i'm gonna do, but i mean i love cars and i hav been into them since i was 12, and been looking forward to having a nice car. So it would seem like a let down to me personally, i think i'm leaning more toward doing the swap then not.

i know you guys said to save the money and invest, but i mean obviously if i can save all this money now why couldn't i start saving as soon as i'm at a pausing point in my car. there's no problem with the will power to save money, and i also think it would be pretty cool to come home from college every year to a nice ride that's been kept nice and safe in a garage and then have some fun with it for the few weks/months i'd be in town.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;i think long term, obviously but don't you think it'd be nice to know you have a sweet ride waiting for you everytime you came home. and when you're gone you won't have to worrying about it getting jacked or wrecked?

Toda Party 11-30-2004 11:59 AM

LS swap, junkyard turbo setup https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Nova_Dust 11-30-2004 12:09 PM

Chances are, when you spend all your money now, you will be forcing to sell your car because you need money for college. As much as you regret it, you have no choice. So why do it now when you can do it later? Plus, doing a swap won't elevate your skill or make you one notch higher than others all that much.

A few young folks are forcing to sell their cars for college. So why won't they think this through before they spent their money? You know you will need it in an year or two, then don't use it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against modding cars and this hobbie. But when you are tight with funding and there is an obvious priority up ahead, then you should not side track your attention to other things. You could, spend a little, but definitely not majority of it.

Good luck

luti 11-30-2004 01:33 PM

Re: (Nova_Dust)

first off its a horrible idea to spend every cent you have on anything because there is always going to be one or two things you didnt account for that will bite you in the ass. that being said, if i was you i would save my money until i was in college because this car stuff gets expensive fast. you sound like you worked hard for your money and not like your parents just threw 10 grand at you and will be buying you everything so putting it all on this swap would be hard. also, why do you want a b16 swap, what are your goals, and how much money do you plan on spending on the car? i ask this because you could spend the money you have now (if you are set on spending it now) on tinkering with your current D series motor. you will have fun, get the wrench time, learn, and still have something quick that you will enjoy. i just want to see if you are thinking about building the car with goals and not parts first. ive seen a few people waste money doing that.

31flavorscivic 11-30-2004 02:48 PM

Re: (luti)

I am kind of in your situation right now... I am 17.
After losing my job last year and having all my savings GONE! (gone means that the day I lost my job I had $2800, and the day I got a job again this June I had $17.65, and NO civic to show for it.) I am going to have enough for a b16 here in March. If you still live with your parents and everything, then go for it. The worst thing that could happen if you fall on your ass is you would have to hitch a ride to school or take another car and eat at home every day. You still have your parents behind you (hopefully), you still live at home, and your life cant come crashing down if some financial hardships come your way during a swap, unlike when you're on your own. I have been thinking pretty damn hard about this.

The day I rode in my friends b18a1 swap... before I knew ANYTHING about Honda's, I didn't even know what car I was riding in... Once my stomach turned when he hit 4000 RPM and peeled so hard going into 2nd that he had to grab the wheel with both hands... I knew I had to get me one of those. You won't be 16 forever. Go for it, and tell us how it goes.

spooncivic1 12-01-2004 10:56 AM

Re: (31flavorscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 31flavorscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am kind of in your situation right now... I am 17.
After losing my job last year and having all my savings GONE! (gone means that the day I lost my job I had $2800, and the day I got a job again this June I had $17.65, and NO civic to show for it.) I am going to have enough for a b16 here in March. If you still live with your parents and everything, then go for it. The worst thing that could happen if you fall on your ass is you would have to hitch a ride to school or take another car and eat at home every day. You still have your parents behind you (hopefully), you still live at home, and your life cant come crashing down if some financial hardships come your way during a swap, unlike when you're on your own. I have been thinking pretty damn hard about this.

The day I rode in my friends b18a1 swap... before I knew ANYTHING about Honda's, I didn't even know what car I was riding in... Once my stomach turned when he hit 4000 RPM and peeled so hard going into 2nd that he had to grab the wheel with both hands... I knew I had to get me one of those. You won't be 16 forever. Go for it, and tell us how it goes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im with this guy, im 17 and i had never planed on getting a swap or anything done to my car...

it just so happened i was out "test driving" my friends new 94 GSR when suddenly i done the stupiest thing possible and wrecked it, so since i did that i had my parents loan me the money and i kept the car...

if that wouldnt have happened i would still be stuck with nothing and a LARGE bank account https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif