Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Difficult starting,,fuel pump ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult starting,,fuel pump ??

My 97 LX is driving me fits with the way it is starting I think it could be a weak fuel pump but I figured it best to ck here before I go to the expense of buying a pump. At this point I did replace the fuel filter and it was way over due for replacement and it was full of crud.

I don't have a fuel pressure checking gauge but when I had the filter off I could block the fuel flow,,,, by turning the ign key on,, with my finger over the line opening that comes from the pump. I don't know what the spec pressure should be but I think that is pretty low.

In the morning It takes about 3 separate one second cranking tries to get it started on the 4th try. When it does start it will fire once and then sputter and start running. I can let it run for 30 seconds or more and shut it off and it will start right up. After I drive it a ways ( 30-40 minutes) and the engine gets up to full operating temp. I shut it off and it sits for a period of time to maybe run inside the store for something and my attempt to re-start is a failure. It takes several one second cranking tries to get it going. If I keep it cranking for a longer time span it does not start,,, the short cranking attempt seems to get the best results.

All this has plagued me since I replaced the head gasket,,,I double checked the cam belt timing and plug wires and it they all went to the proper plug.

When the engine does run it runs fine and has the same power and acceleration as before.

Could the fuel pump be weak or could I have the cam timing belt off a "cog" and the engine still run and cause difficult starting. I seem to doubt the cam timing is off because once it starts in the morning it re-starts right up like it should. Grrrrr.....
Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Difficult starting,,fuel pump ??

If you think its the fuel pump, than I suggest getting a gauge and check to see if the pressure is within spec.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Know what the specs are just off hand....

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I assume your battery is new
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by troubleshooter
I assume your battery is new
Yep it is in good shape,,,,,I went back in to the timing belt and checked the TDC of the crank and position of the cam gear. I found the crank's TDC mark just off a slight hair from the index point on the plastic cam belt cover. I stopped at that point to go in the house to eat dinner. That looks like my cam timing of off by one notch,,,tonight I will remove the crank pully and check the crank sprocket tonight and see if the index mark on it is off also.

I also noticed that when the engine is not wanting to start it sometimes will fire once and I get some big puff of exhaust out the intake thru the throttle body,,,,that is a big indicator of the cam timing off slightly,,,,strangely when it does start if runs fine,,,I guess one notch off does let it run but not start very well,,,,I think the timing is retarded as opposed to advanced.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Pressure for the 96-00 Civic:

Name:  FPressure.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  127.5 KB
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TC39,,,,thanks for the specs on the pressure and the method to check it out,,,,but,,,,,I checked out the points to set my cam and crank to install the timing belt. Well,,,,,I had the cam pully set right but I missed putting crank in the right place, the line on the side of the sprocket [on the crank] was just a tad to the left of the arrow that is cast in the side of the block. This turned out to be one cog off,,,,I put it in line like I should have done in the first place and I started up the engine afterwards and it sure ran much better just sitting in my shop.

At least I learned that one cog off in cam timing the engine will run and pretend to be starving for fuel. It sure acted strange with the cam timing retarded like it was,,,it would run fine at first but as it was driven it would not start very easily.

Tomorrow I will button it all up and take it out for a road test and see what it does,,,all 4 cyls had 130-140 lbs of compression, I thought that was pretty good for 292K on the motor.

Last edited by Glock40; 05-20-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: kaynt tipe worth a dam
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hm. You know 135 is minimum healthy compression.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not know that about the compression level,,,,I will drive it till it fails and make the best of what I have. I have a 01 waiting to take its place when she does die.

Thanks