Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end?

I'm thinking of buying a b17 w/ ~85k and it leaks a little oil around the head gasket. I want to rebuild it with CTR and ITR parts. How hard is it for a noob to rebuild a bottom end? I have a Helms for the B17 and have a moderate IQ. I'm not really worried about the head, I'm going to have that p&p and rebuilt by a machine shop.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (Skeletor)

i'd like to know myself, it'll save some serious cash... but as far as i know the tolerances are too tight to experiment on your own, damage to internals would not be fun to sort out and fix.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (Skeletor)

on a nice rare bottom end like that, I'd leave it to the pros to build it.

especially if your gonna slap in new pistons, a good shop has the machinery to keep the tolerances within spec.

If you do decide to build it yourself, just take the pistons and block (bare block) with you to a machine shop keeping in mind the order in which those pistons are going in, and have the shop match the bore to the pistons.

if u decide to build it yourself, buy a box of sandwich bags, permanent marker, and tape and LABEL LABEL LABEL LABEL LABEL everything.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (Pritos)

yea i would not attempt to built the bottom end unless i was a pro
Old 05-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (nextelbuddy)

Build your bottom end yourself - use the Helms and great resources on honda-tech..

sGT is a great engine builder, and he has always helped with my dumb questions..

navin
-wh0 plans to tear down his hunk of junk motor
Old 05-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (navin)

Building the bottom end is easy. Just read your manual carefully and make sure you have a really good machine shop. I've built mine, pm me know if you need any help.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (4DeepCivic)

it is easy if you take your time. keep things sorted.... and make a mental note to not scratch up or mess up any journals <sp> where the bearings ride on the crank. make sure you have a book or somebody that knows what they are doing so you dont over look a little step like getting the new rod bearings in properly and tight, then putting a little oil on em where they touch the crank... cuz you will be spinning it when installing rods and pistons...dont want bare metal rubbing.. and when installing new piston rins... you should have different color dots on em... or seperat bags. when one ring will have to go in a certain slot. then there will be a small indention dot on each ring so you know that faces up... and to make sure you offset the rings.. not that you have the open or cut part in the same spot, they never seat, and always leak / burn oil.

use some anti rust spray to spray the cylinder walls as you holme em out to get em clean. a ridge ream to get the carbon build up off of the top of the cylinder walls.... but if you are having a custom bore done, that part will be finished. if the crand and other parts are cleaned very well and stored outside, use some anti rust spray (some special mechanics stuff.. cant remember name) so that they dont get a bunch of surface rust on em from sitting in weather... cant remember any other little details i was taught as i built mine. hope i didnt confuse you or scare you. it is really easy. i did mine in a weekend. you came to a good foum to get it done right though. any questions at all... any doubts... just ask and youll get a good answer most of the time
Old 05-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it difficult to rebuild a bottom end? (SOHC Beast)

I was gonna weight for tom to reply. Cuz i was just about to post somethin like this. Anyway tom, how hard was resleeving and rebuilding the bottom end. What are some good tools, i have seen some tools and wonderin what ya need.

And organization is the key to everything.