Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Difficult Launch, manual transmission 93 Del Sol Si

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult Launch, manual transmission 93 Del Sol Si

what would cause launches from a stop to be very difficult? the friction point on this car is so precise... would replacing the clutch/flywheel be a possible fix?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difficult Launch, manual transmission 93 Del Sol Si

yea might be the clutch
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unreality6794
what would cause launches from a stop to be very difficult? the friction point on this car is so precise... would replacing the clutch/flywheel be a possible fix?
Tires / Clutch / Transmission
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by habanerored06si
Tires / Clutch / Transmission
can you explain how tires could cause this? i do need new tires...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you provide more details about your launch problem? It's unclear what the problem is.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uh, if you have no grab (traction) how do you expect the car to propel itself? Other than just torque.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Can you provide more details about your launch problem? It's unclear what the problem is.
Well, im learning how to drive a manual on this car, and it's been extremely difficult to launch from a stop. the only way to launch without stalling it (or nearly stalling) is to rev it up alot, which makes it difficult to take off slowly, or reverse slowly. im hoping that replacing the clutch and flywheel will make it easier and smoother to take off. my stepdad who has been driving only standards for 25 years has driven it and seems to think it needs a clutch also, but the odd thing is i dont think the clutch is slipping.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Launch and "take off slowly" are two different beasts.

It really sounds like you need a clutch job. Have the hydraulics and pedal inspected while this is done.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, im learning how to drive a manual on this car, and it's been extremely difficult to launch from a stop. the only way to launch without stalling it (or nearly stalling) is to rev it up alot, which makes it difficult to take off slowly, or reverse slowly. im hoping that replacing the clutch and flywheel will make it easier and smoother to take off. my stepdad who has been driving only standards for 25 years has driven it and seems to think it needs a clutch also, but the odd thing is i dont think the clutch is slipping.

Maybe you just need to let go of the clutch slower?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when your just learning how to drive a manual everything seems wrong. i would just keep driving it around and get use to a clutch. have you driven or is there another manual car you can drive to see if it does the same thing?? just sayin i would try other cars out and see if it is the car before droppin money if your not sure. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2

I say even if its on its last leg (the clutch) I would keep practicing on it b4 you put a new clutch in. That way you can get real use to the manual w/o damaging a new clutch. good luck

Last edited by b20c5eg; 08-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends, have the manuals your dad has been driving for 25 years all been big domestics? Domestic clutches are much more forgiving than imports. Import clutches take much more finesse to master. There's really only two ways to start out with the clutch, rev it high then engage the clutch slowly (if you don't redline the engine you shouldn't have a problem taking off slowly with this method), or give equal amounts of throttle to equal amounts of clutch (more difficult, but saves you from having to rev the engine high to begin with).

On top of that you're learning. You're gonna stall the engine quit a bit while learning. It just takes practice. If you're absolutely certain the clutch is bad (which would be odd since you've never driven a clutch before) then have someone who knows Honda clutches drive it then get back to us.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On my auto explorer it used to jump because it had a bad trans solenoid pack. I doibt thats. your problem but yea it might just he u need to practice more or the clutch is going out. Remember young grasshopper practice is key
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, he's on his 10th volkswagon. not sure how they compare to hondas.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had another thought. find a level parking lot and practice. try not hitting the gas at all and just slowly let the clutch out until the car starts to move, then keep letting out even more (still slowly) until the clutch is all the way out. stop and repeat a few times. this will give you the feel for the clutch. then start to practice with letting the clutch out very slowly until the car starts to move, then slowly add a little gas while letting the clutch out more, slowly. I would say you could get a really good feel for it doing it this way. I would also suggest going to this parking lot alone so you dont have someone talking in your ear the whole time. good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b20c5eg
I had another thought. find a level parking lot and practice. try not hitting the gas at all and just slowly let the clutch out until the car starts to move, then keep letting out even more (still slowly) until the clutch is all the way out. stop and repeat a few times. this will give you the feel for the clutch. then start to practice with letting the clutch out very slowly until the car starts to move, then slowly add a little gas while letting the clutch out more, slowly. I would say you could get a really good feel for it doing it this way. I would also suggest going to this parking lot alone so you dont have someone talking in your ear the whole time. good luck
Was going to be my suggestion. For people learning how to operate a clutch this is a useful experience. Once you master this you can add the gas pedal to the mix, and then learn that applying throttle and clutch engagement share a relationship. Find the "sweet spot" the point when the clutch first begins to bite into the flywheel and then apply gas accordingly.

There are two tricks, one is using your heel as a fulcrum, like when you tap your foot, keep your heel planted on the floor of the car and pivot on it as you release the clutch pedal. This will give you more control.

The other trick is adjusting your clutch engagement height. First learn how to operate the current setup, then tweak it to your liking. Be mindful that you don't set the engagement so low that the clutch is only partially disengaged, or too high leaving the clutch partially engaged. It takes 2 combination wrenches or crescent wrenches to do.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I leaned stick pretty easy i had to move brick so i would put brick in the back then move and come back. Ford rangers or mazda b2300s are really good for learning stick btw. bmw 3 series not so much lol
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
I leaned stick pretty easy i had to move brick so i would put brick in the back then move and come back. Ford rangers or mazda b2300s are really good for learning stick btw. bmw 3 series not so much lol
Too bad you don't live near me. I'd buy you're sol in a heart beat
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, he's on his 10th volkswagon. not sure how they compare to hondas.
If Volkswagens are all like a friend of mine's MkIV GTi, then they have the most idiot-proof clutches of any car I've ever driven.

Your dad might also just be being nice because you're having trouble learning.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Whydid
If Volkswagens are all like a friend of mine's MkIV GTi, then they have the most idiot-proof clutches of any car I've ever driven.

Your dad might also just be being nice because you're having trouble learning.
well, that's basically what he said about the 07 jetta he had, but now he's in a 93 eurovan which ive never driven but it sure doesnt look idiot-proof lol
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You haven't figured out the problem yet?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You haven't figured out the problem yet?
nope, not yet. but i found out that i need a fuel filter, and if that fixes it ill let you know. apparently it's starving for fuel which i didnt realize cuz this is my first standard :D
Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Too bad you don't live near me. I'd buy you're sol in a heart beat
Yea too bad i dont live near any honda gear heads. all people want overhere are domestics and trucks