Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

differences in gas BRANDs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:09 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences in gas BRANDs?

are there any differences in gas brands? ie SHELL,CHEVRON,76, etc, etc. where i live(nor cal) gas prices is pretty high for 91 (1.99), and there are significant different prices. between ARCO and SHELL by my house, theres a 20 cent difference. ive heard that cheap gas companies arnt that great. anyone know the real truth to this?
Old 05-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (F120man)

Not sure, but I've always used (76) 91 Octane. Ever since I got my car, just a habbit now.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (VTEC CX)

i too use chevron.

however, most gas stations get their gas from the same place. believe it or not.
the main difference in their gas (obviously theres a difference or else there wouldnt be a difference in price) is their additives.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (jonas)

76 is the best they own the formula for 91-92 octane
Old 05-26-2002, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (underrated99si)

They sell 100 Octane near by at a 76! Never tried it, its like $5.25 a gallon.

[Modified by UnrealSpeed, 10:16 AM 5/26/2002]
Old 05-26-2002, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (underrated99si)

hm.. i seem to get better gas mileage and better throttle response with chevron.
i even get better gas mileage with texaco than 76.

but thats just me

[Modified by jonas, 2:17 AM 5/26/2002]
Old 05-26-2002, 01:23 AM

Nothing but MOBILE for my baby.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:15 AM
VTEC

You already pointed out the difference...the difference is price. I don't care what kind of Techron schmechron additive they add. Can you tell the difference? If I filled up your car with brand X one month, and brand Y the other month, can you tell the difference?

And all that BS about cheap gas (like ARCO) is just that...BS.

Hmm...155,000 plus miles on my 8-year old Civic coupe almost exclusively on Arco 87 octane and I still get over 375 miles to a tank, pass the California smog test easily, and no engine problems. I've tried other brands and different octane levels, and my Civic still consistently puts down about 120hp to the wheels with no discernible difference.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (VTEC)

i cant really feel the differnece with the additives. but i can definately tell the difference in my gas mileage from arco and chevron/texaco.

i dont give a fudge if you think it's bs. they make their prices that low for a reason..
and it's not to give customers a deal or else texaco, chevron, and 76 would be out of business.
Old 05-26-2002, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

arco gas..might as well run on dairy run off water
Old 05-26-2002, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

texaco for my car. i've heard a lot of bad stuff about "cheap" gas....
Old 05-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (broke1)

My parents taught me one thing in life , and that is "You get what you pay for." You buy cheap gas you get cheap gas and the **** runs out of your tank and you get shitty performance and low miles per tank . Spend the cash on the good stuff you get a smoother running engine , better pick up , and better millage . Just my personal expierence
Old 05-26-2002, 09:13 AM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (you2envious)

I switch back and fourth from acro and 76...When I have money, I go to 76...when I'm kinda on a tight budget, its arco..but no matter what, I always get the highest octane....(91 is avg in so cal...=X ) ....but I dont really care...I seem to get about 50+ miles on a tank from arco than 76...brands make no difference to me...but it cant be no "USA GASOLINE"...
Old 05-26-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (J-MiGiRL702)

anyone go to cumberland farms?
i heard some use more water than others
Old 05-26-2002, 10:01 AM
New User

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (JDM Dasilva)

I disagree with the fact that all gas is the same. Cheap gas is mostly water, and I don't know about you guys but last time I checked owners manuals didn't say to run your car on arrowhead or other water brands. Pay the extra if you want your engine to last
Old 05-26-2002, 10:20 AM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (94civicx)

I don't know if you guys have BP their or not, but you wouldn't believe the number of cars I have seen where the owner complained of engine problems. BP= Barely Petroleum
Old 05-26-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (iceburgslim)

from speaking to my marketing teacher who used to sell/buy gas for companies to sell...he told me that gas is just a commodity and its all teh same. How much they charge is just to compete with how much others are charging...

91 octane is the same everywhere you go. from what i've heard....i try to use at least 91 octane, someplaecs don't have it, so i'll bump to 93..

peace
Old 05-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences in gas Brands? (F120man)

hmmmm...

I would have to say for the most part from octane stand point that its almost all the same. Just different additives and what not.

I do fine on 87 octane from good old Q-Trip up the street.
I'll put in higher octane if I go to Phillip 66 or something.

But I can't find anything higher then 91 around here.

I'll stick with Q-Trip
Old 05-26-2002, 10:59 AM

My parents taught me one thing in life , and that is "You get what you pay for." You buy cheap gas you get cheap gas and the **** runs out of your tank and you get shitty performance and low miles per tank . Spend the cash on the good stuff you get a smoother running engine , better pick up , and better millage . Just my personal expierence
"you get what you pay for" is horsedooky and everybody knows it. There are tons and tons of cases of what one person is selling is the EXACT SAME PRODUCT as his competitor for a cheaper price.

So, lemme guess. A Sony VCR from Sears that's $15 more than the exact same model at Wal-Mart is better? That's garbage and you know it.

The trick is that a lot of gas is the same. A lot, but not all. There are plenty of crap stations out there selling either good gas out of bad (or leaky) tanks with contaminants, or just selling bad gas from bad suppliers. Most of the time, however, this had NO RELATION to the cost of the gas. Premium Texaco at a premium price has occassionally been found to be 87 octane that's not even Texaco.

Hint, hint. BP and Amoco are now one and the same company. BP (cheaper) gas is the same gas as the Amoco.

You can't rely on ANY rule of thumb with gas. More expensive gas is not always better, and cheap looking crap stations with Jim-Bob the greasemonkey sometimes sell the best gas at the best price. You can never tell.

Shawn
Old 05-26-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (shawnhayes)

In my experience, gas is extrmely different from brand to brand. We used to pump arco 87 in our cars because it was the cheapest until water started to settle in the exhaust pipes at night and every morning when i started the car, water and black carbon sludge would shoot out of the pipes and all over my driveway. Now that we pump chevron and 76 (occasionally 91 but usually 87) the problems gone.

[Modified by Ek4sho, 12:21 PM 5/26/2002]
Old 05-26-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, does anyone have any opinions on Shell gas? Is it cheap? I have heard from some people that Shell is crap, and others that it is not. Personally I use Shell everytime. Opinions?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supp all.... I ve done this test on my "own" with 87' and 91' and believe it or not 87' gave me higher mileage every time So I bet you are all wondering why.From the reseach that I did, I found out that 91' burns alot smoother so your engine burns it faster, on the other hand 87' does not burn as smoothly so its harder on the engine to burn, thats why it lasts longer. BTW I use 91' 76

that kinda explains J-migirl702 post:

I switch back and fourth from acro and 76...When I have money, I go to 76...when I'm kinda on a tight budget, its arco..but no matter what, I always get the highest octane....(91 is avg in so cal...=X ) ....but I dont really care...I seem to get about 50+ miles on a tank from arco than 76...brands make no difference to me...but it cant be no "USA GASOLINE"...
Old 05-26-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Re: differences in gas BRANDs? (shawnhayes)

Yes paying a high price for the same product when its offered at a different location is stupid , but since when can't you look inside a gas stations tanks and go , "Ohhh this gas was made at this refiniery , yeah I will get some " Most gas stations produce different octanes of gas , everyone knows this , lower octane gas goes through less processing and is more or less shipped out in that condition . the higher octane gases go through more refining and are cleaner . again it goes back to the you get what you pay for . you pay cheap gas (the cheapest in town) its still gonna be **** compaired to the 93 (in fl) at the cheapest gas station .
Old 05-26-2002, 01:52 PM

in your owners manual HONDA recomends that you use a gas with a detergant (i.e. techron, or clean system 3 from chevron or texaco) that's all you should ever use. even if you use 87 octane... unless you have an Si you dont even need 91 octane (if you car's timing is stock).. I have an EX and I only use 91 from chevron, or texaco. those fuels help to keep your intake and exsaust valves cleaner.... and that means more power for you in the long run.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:21 PM
VTEC

My car's doing well for running on "water."

If you can feel the difference, describe it...I want to know...more hp? More mileage? I drive 2000 miles or more a month, and I've experimented with different brands using Texaco one month, Arco the next, etc. and I did not see any difference mileage wise (I get over 375 miles to a tank with a 10-10.5 gallon fillup). I've had many dyno runs too, and the gas didn't make any difference.

Arco is said to be cheap because it's an inferior gas that supposedly is bad for the engine. I autocross and hot lap a lot, and I have over 155,000 miles, and I still get good gas mileage and still pass California smog tests with street legal intake, headers, and exhaust.

Now, I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I want you to back up your statements so everyone can get an idea from your experience and learn from your insight.

None of this "I heard Brand XX gas is blah blah..."

Quick Reply: differences in gas BRANDs?