Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

differences of ej8 and em1

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences of ej8 and em1

alright im just getting into the honda scene i was wonder what exterior and interior differences do they have besides the emblems, dohc vtec sticker, exterior colors and the gauge cluster.

Modified by buymesomedunks at 5:21 AM 7/21/2007
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (buymesomedunks)

U forgot the most important thing. D-16 vs B16
Nuff said
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (97civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U forgot the most important thing. D-16 vs B16
Nuff said</TD></TR></TABLE>

for the price diffrance a swap could fix thats all basicly plug and play

i think the rear subframe is diffrant then all the other hondas atleast i think becouse i remember reading some where that the lca's were a diffrant length

other then that i dont realy know
Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

mostly wheels, from the outside

but yeah, the b16 is the part that matters, and the rear disc breaks.

other than that just paint codes and the trim is always color matched on the em1, i think the sideskirts on ej8's sometimes aren't
Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a si, that is a big enough difference.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (hondamark35)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamark35 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mostly wheels, from the outside

but yeah, the b16 is the part that matters, and the rear disc breaks.

other than that just paint codes and the trim is always color matched on the em1, i think the sideskirts on ej8's sometimes aren't</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure the disk brakes are optional on EX's.

I could be wrong though.

What's the difference? The Si will get jacked a ****-ton faster, that's all.

For the going rate of Sis vs Exs your better off getting an EJ8 and slapping a B16 in there. Plug and play swap.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For the going rate of Sis vs Exs your better off getting an EJ8 and slapping a B16 in there. Plug and play swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey i said that first
Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (Syndacate)

Rear brakes on the ej8 were not an option
The ej8 with a em1 swap would be faster then the em1
1. its a lil lighter
2. you have to use a at least GSR ecu
3. like stated eariler u can save money gettin a ej8 and doin a swap then just gettin a em1 that was probably dog'd out!!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (BlkCivicFromTeamMNR.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlkCivicFromTeamMNR.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rear brakes on the ej8 were not an option
The ej8 with a em1 swap would be faster then the em1
1. its a lil lighter
2. you have to use a at least GSR ecu
3. like stated eariler u can save money gettin a ej8 and doin a swap then just gettin a em1 that was probably dog'd out!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

y would u have to use a gsr ecu?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (aarontrini85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aarontrini85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the rear subframe is diffrant then all the other hondas atleast i think becouse i remember reading some where that the lca's were a diffrant length

other then that i dont realy know</TD></TR></TABLE>
The Si has two nuts welded to it... that's all.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm pretty sure the disk brakes are optional on EX's.

I could be wrong though.

What's the difference? The Si will get jacked a ****-ton faster, that's all.

For the going rate of Sis vs Exs your better off getting an EJ8 and slapping a B16 in there. Plug and play swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, there were not rear disk on the EX, only on the Si.

Btw, if you get an EX, you could upgrade to a better motor than a B16.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y would u have to use a gsr ecu?</TD></TR></TABLE>

And I'll post up the chart I made... AGAIN.

Btw, the '98-'00 EX and the '99-'00 Si are the only cars with map lights too. Forgot to add that part.

Search Keywords:
B16A2 D16Y8 D16Y7 DX EX Si coupe sedan hatch difference different motors engines brakes brake ABS disk grille grill color paint Electron Blue Pearl Flamenco Black Pearl Milano Red Clover Green Taffeta White suspension power body exterior interior climate control ***** slide slider sliders electronic manual badges stickers DOHC VTEC SOHC non-VTEC 96 97 98 99 00 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 96-00 96-98 99-00
Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (NOFX)

hhahah thanks guys i know the major differences is a b16 and a d16 but i meant interior like audio seats and stuff and exterior. so thiers no differences at all with the front/rear bumper? someone told me their was.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:30 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buymesomedunks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hhahah thanks guys i know the major differences is a b16 and a d16 but i meant interior like audio seats and stuff and exterior. so thiers no differences at all with the front/rear bumper? someone told me their was.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read NOFX's chart. It tells you everything.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buymesomedunks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so thiers no differences at all with the front/rear bumper? someone told me their was.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Whoever told you this is confused, or you got confused.

There is no difference between an Si front bumper and any other '99-'00 USDM Civic front bumper. The Si also has exactly the same rear bumper as any other '99-'00 Civic coupe or sedan.

The rear bumper can be fitted onto any '96-'00 Civic coupe or sedan.

The '99-'00 front end can be swapped onto a '96-'98 Civic, but you'd need the following parts:
front bumper
grille
hood
fenders
headlights
core/radiator support (or modify it)

The only difference between the '99-'00 Civic Si and the other '99-'00 USDM Civics is the upper grille. And the front lip is standard on the Si, while it's an option on the other trims (YES, it came STOCK on other Civic trims too).

The '96-'98 Civic is what has the different front bumper.

'96-'98 front

'99-'00 front

Both of the above cars have coupe/hatch upper grilles. The Si grille is different though (there being only the Si model for '99-'00 of course). The other grille styles are the sedan grille (which has more blades and a chrome trim) and the Si grille.

Besides how the Si is different from '96-'98 cars (because the Si is a '99-'00 only), my chart didn't leave anything out I think. I have all the interior and exterior differences and such. The Si just really isn't that different at all. It's mostly little things.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The Si has two nuts welded to it... that's all.

No, there were not rear disk on the EX, only on the Si.

Btw, if you get an EX, you could upgrade to a better motor than a B16.

And I'll post up the chart I made... AGAIN.

Btw, the '98-'00 EX and the '99-'00 Si are the only cars with map lights too. Forgot to add that part.

Search Keywords:
B16A2 D16Y8 D16Y7 DX EX Si coupe sedan hatch difference different motors engines brakes brake ABS disk grille grill color paint Electron Blue Pearl Flamenco Black Pearl Milano Red Clover Green Taffeta White suspension power body exterior interior climate control ***** slide slider sliders electronic manual badges stickers DOHC VTEC SOHC non-VTEC 96 97 98 99 00 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 96-00 96-98 99-00</TD></TR></TABLE>

According to your chart, the Si doesn't come with ABS nor was it an option. Might wanna chage that to standard
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

differences: well the obvious b16 and d16 .. entire front end is different on an Si than the EJ8 .. the tail lights are different, the wheels obviously too .. the climate control .. the seats are nearly identical, but the headrests in the SI have the hole in them rather than the EJ8's are solid .. the wings are different, the SI wing is a little taller .. the side skirts on the SI are actually painted the color of the car .. thats all i can think of right now .. but im going on vacation now, be back on thursday
Old 07-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (SuckMyDOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

According to your chart, the Si doesn't come with ABS nor was it an option. Might wanna chage that to standard</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ABS.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:11 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: differences of ej8 and em1 (SuckMyDOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

According to your chart, the Si doesn't come with ABS nor was it an option. Might wanna chage that to standard</TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't come with ABS at all, not even optional. The SiR in Canada came with it as an option.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

differences... stock for stock the Si will be more likely to be stolen.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Civic98KH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">According to your chart, the Si doesn't come with ABS nor was it an option. Might wanna chage that to standard</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, I don't want to change that to "Standard" because then it would be wrong.

But yes, as others have said, ABS is not even an option on the USDM Si. It never came on them.

Oh, and no need to quote huge pics like that one.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic98KH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">differences: well the obvious b16 and d16 .. entire front end is different on an Si than the EJ8 .. the tail lights are different, the wheels obviously too .. the climate control .. the seats are nearly identical, but the headrests in the SI have the hole in them rather than the EJ8's are solid .. the wings are different, the SI wing is a little taller .. the side skirts on the SI are actually painted the color of the car .. thats all i can think of right now .. but im going on vacation now, be back on thursday</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay... now I'm going to use caps in the hope that you can read this time.

The '99-'00 EJ8 and the '99-'00 EM1 has THE SAME FRONT END. (**Notice the photos of the two silver cars above? Those are both EXes - one being a '96-'98 EX coupe and the other being a '99-'00 coupe, which has the same front as all other '99-'00 trims, save for the grille.)

The Si has a different grille and a STANDARD front lip. ALL OTHER TRIMS CAN GET THE FRONT LIP OPTIONAL FROM HONDA.

The '99-'00 COUPE taillights are ALL THE SAME. The Si DOES NOT have different "special" taillights.

The climate control in the Si only gets different lighting. The climate control itsself IS NOT different. Take your '99-'00 (ANY TRIM) climate control and put amber bulbs and an *ta-da* you now have an "Si" climate control!

The Si seats have a different fabric pattern, an extra **** on the side (butt tilt...) and the holes in the headrests. Btw, all the trims have different pattern. The Si patter is not special anymore than "ZOMG, DX seat pattern!"

Oh, and those painted side skirts even came on '96-'98 cars. It's an option that came with the lip kit. The Si just gets it standard.

And one more thing... that tall spoiler comes on ALL '99-'00 COUPES, NOT JUST THE SI.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

The Si also had a different shift **** and shift boot.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (I heart my Honda.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I heart my Honda. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Si also had a different shift **** and shift boot. </TD></TR></TABLE>
The shift **** is the same one from the '97-'01 Prelude. The boot has a different part number than other cars, but it looks the damn same, so I don't know what the difference is supposed to be...

Btw, the shift **** is ugly imo.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Location: The Place that everybody call the southland on the, SPLA

wtf A/C was optional in a DX?

NOFX, the 99-00 USDM DX is still the same as a 96-98 USDM DX correct? Just with different exterior parts correct?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Hans Moleman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hans Moleman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf A/C was optional in a DX?

NOFX, the 99-00 USDM DX is still the same as a 96-98 USDM DX correct? Just with different exterior parts correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>
A/C was optional in all trims that did not come with it standard.

The options on the '96-'98 and the '99-'00 cars are the same, just changed to fit the cars correctly.

A few big differences between the two ends of the generation are:
- Different front end
- Different rear bumper on coupes and sedans (there's a slight lip at the bottom, but the bumpers are interchangeable)
- Different taillight coloring
- Sedans have different trunks and the taillights are colored differently
- Climate controls are electric in the '99-'00s (*****) and manual (sliders) in the '96-'98s
- Seats have an extra **** (no ***** on the '96-'98s)

I think that's the physical differences... but I might have forgotten a few.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The boot has a different part number than other cars, but it looks the damn same, so I don't know what the difference is supposed to be...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Si shift boot has a little chrome piece that holds the boot to the **** whereas the boots on ex's just kinda hang there.

the little chrome piece I'm talking about^
Old 07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (I heart my Honda.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I heart my Honda. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Si shift boot has a little chrome piece that holds the boot to the **** whereas the boots on ex's just kinda hang there.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, the EX boot DOES NOT just hang there. It has a black ring around the top that keeps it up. When you remove the stock shift **** on an EX, the shift boot still stays upright. When you remove the boot though, the top breaks and it won't stick up on it's own again. Some people's boots have been broken before they even buy their car (like my last EX, but not my current EX).

So it appears that the little chrome piece isn't the difference, but the fact that it's silver instead of black is the difference.

Quick Reply: differences of ej8 and em1