Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/differences-between-cdm-si-usdm-si-481049/)

CDM_SI 04-20-2003 10:17 AM

Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI

Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying up a 1996 CDM SI (should be the same as the USDM EX). I was wondering what differences there is between this car and the 99-00 USDM SI (CDM SIR). I know about the exterior differences like front ends, tail lights, and wheels, the difference in the HVAC controls, the powertrain (d16y8 vs. b16a), and the springs.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in brake parts (this car has ABS) between the cars. Is the master cylinder, brake booster, and proportioning valve the same as the SI(R)? I'm assuming calipers and rotors are the same. I know the springs are different but are the shocks/struts different?

I'm pretty sure the interiors are the same besides the HVAC controls and guage cluster and I think both have all the same power options.

If anyone can verify what I said and highlight any other differences that would help me out a lot. Sorry for the newbie question. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

Thanks,

CDM_SI
possible future owner of a 1996 VSM SI coupe

joe_bocc 04-20-2003 10:29 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (CDM_SI)

As for the brakes, the Si(R) and the Si/EX has the same size front rotor, but the calipers are better. For the rear brakes, the SI/EX has drum brakes where the SI(R) has rear disc brakes. There has been some debate over the Si(R) having ABS stock. Some say that it was not available in the US but in Canada it was available.

As for the dampers, Koni dampers for civics 96-00 fit all different models so that makes me think the struts/dampers are the same.

Dr. EKology 04-20-2003 10:49 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (joe_bocc)

The USDM EX has disc brakes in the rear, not drums. Also, the CDM SiR comes with ABS while the USDM does not.

CDM_SI 04-20-2003 11:35 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (EKology)

So would any of the brake parts be different between this CDM SI and the CDM SIR such as master cyl., booster, prop. valve if both have ABS? Are the front and rear sway bars different between the SI/EK and the SI(R)?

joe_bocc 04-20-2003 11:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The USDM EX has disc brakes in the rear, not drums. Also, the CDM SiR comes with ABS while the USDM does not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How sure are you about that? Why does AEM sell the EX coupe rear drum to disc conversion?

hatchboy93 04-20-2003 12:48 PM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (joe_bocc)

no way i had a 99 civic ex and it had drums in the back then i had a 99 si after that got stolen and it had discs in the back. ex's only came with discs in 92-95 models as an option.

CDM_SI 04-21-2003 08:00 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (hatchboy93)

So I know for a fact that ABS is optional on the CDM SI and it is either standard or optional on the CDM SIR. Does this mean that the CDM SI with ABS has rear drums and the CDM SIR with ABS has rear discs?

Apex i ITR 04-21-2003 08:05 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (CDM_SI)

Civic EX (CDM SI) only have drums in the rear.

kommon_sense 04-21-2003 09:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The USDM EX has disc brakes in the rear, not drums. Also, the CDM SiR comes with ABS while the USDM does not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

USDM EX comes with rear drums. I've got a 98ex.

Run Hatch 04-21-2003 09:43 AM

Re: Differences between CDM SI and USDM SI (kommon_sense)

my 00 ex has drums in the back