Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Difference in vtec and non-vtec timing gears? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/difference-vtec-non-vtec-timing-gears-1932603/)

ky_urotrsh 03-24-2007 02:33 PM

Difference in vtec and non-vtec timing gears?

I need to know about the cam and crank gears. Are they different offsets, sizes, or belt pitch?

thanks

Padawan 03-24-2007 02:34 PM

Re: Difference in vtec and non-vtec timing gears? (ky_urotrsh)

B or D series?

ky_urotrsh 03-24-2007 11:29 PM

I'm not famaliar with Hondas, so I do not know the series. I'm doing a conversion on a 20v VW so that I can run dual timing gears. I have a cam gear from a '98 civic dx for reference. I was checking AEM's site and there were different parts numbers for vtec and non-vtec. Since I'm having to machine down either the gear or cam, I was trying to see if a vtec gear would work better for my application.

Padawan 03-25-2007 04:31 AM

If you're referring strictly to the inner diameter of the centre bore, there is no difference.

spork motorsports 03-25-2007 07:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ky_urotrsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not famaliar with Hondas, so I do not know the series. I'm doing a conversion on a 20v VW so that I can run dual timing gears. I have a cam gear from a '98 civic dx for reference. I was checking AEM's site and there were different parts numbers for vtec and non-vtec. Since I'm having to machine down either the gear or cam, I was trying to see if a vtec gear would work better for my application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for future reference you have a d16y7 non vtec camshaft gear and timing gear i have the oem one but it hink you want the aem one

why do you want 2 timing gears???? new to me

92ehatch 03-25-2007 07:19 AM

Re: Difference in vtec and non-vtec timing gears? (spork motorsports)

i think that the 92-95 gears are the exact same d series anyways

spork motorsports 03-25-2007 09:26 AM

Re: Difference in vtec and non-vtec timing gears? (92ehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think that the 92-95 gears are the exact same d series anyways</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont you have to advance the d16y8 gears 2 degree's if used on d16z6's? (aem tru time gears only)

ky_urotrsh 03-26-2007 12:43 AM

I want two external cam gears so that the cams can easily be adjusted independently. The only aftermarket solution is an adjustable timing chain gear. So with two external, I do not have to remove the valvecover to make adjustments on the intake cam.

Thanks for the info on the center bores, but I was also wondering if they have different offsets?