Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Difference in d-series trannys? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/difference-d-series-trannys-1005463/)

Hatchd 09-28-2004 06:54 AM

Difference in d-series trannys?

Going to the darkside. Getting rid of my b18 and going with a turbo dseries. So far I have found out that there is not much difference in the z6/y8 and the JDM D15 motor(somone correct me if im wrong). But, the difference I have found in tranny strength. I believe i read the y8 tranny has steel shift forks while the z6 does not(again, correct me if im wrong). My question now is, what about the jdm d15 vtec tranny? Just like the z6 tranny or steel shift forks like the y8? I'm looking to purchase this swap in the next week or two, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

opkjoblacsh 09-28-2004 07:04 AM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (JapTendencies)

why are you getting rid of your b to turbo a d? i have a d16y8 and it sucks

Hatchd 09-28-2004 07:07 AM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (opkjoblacsh)

my b18 has arond 200k on the odo and I dont have the money yet to build it. I'm afraid if i dick around too long the thing is gonna blowup before I can do anything with it.

Why do you not like your y8 is it turbo'd? If you dnt like it, sell it to me.

Bob_Digi 09-28-2004 07:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opkjoblacsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you getting rid of your b to turbo a d? i have a d16y8 and it sucks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

after that comment to me u sound like every other ricer who thinks a b16 civic can smoke a corvette https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif

AzntaggeR 09-28-2004 07:47 AM

some JDM d15 trannies come equipped with LSD.

snatch 09-28-2004 08:09 AM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (AzntaggeR)

I'm not sure about the D15 JDM tranny, but you are correct that the Y8 trannies have steel shift forks and the Z6's have aluminum I think.

TouringAccord 09-28-2004 08:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opkjoblacsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you getting rid of your b to turbo a d? i have a d16y8 and it sucks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like my Y8. It's not turbo or anything but I still like it. I'm staying SOHC. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

egmike 09-28-2004 08:46 AM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (TouringAccord)

I just got my d series JDM LSD tranny installed last week, so far is holding up. There has been threads saying that they blow at 140whp, but no one has any pics. I guess well see if it will hold 200+Whp... which I am sure it will.

Revolver 09-28-2004 08:57 AM

</TD></TR></TABLE>You sir are an idiot.

spyderracing 09-28-2004 09:24 AM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some JDM d15 trannies come equipped with LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I think that ALL JDM D15B trannys come factory equipped with an LSD. The y8 does have steele shift forks, as opposed to the aluminum ones that come in the z6 transmissions.

I have a JDM D15B, and I love it. I would recommend it second to none but a GSR or ITR swap.

Hatchd 09-28-2004 01:16 PM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (egmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got my d series JDM LSD tranny installed last week, so far is holding up. There has been threads saying that they blow at 140whp, but no one has any pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spyderracing32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually I think that ALL JDM D15B trannys come factory equipped with an LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can anyone confirm either of these two things?

egmike 09-28-2004 01:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can anyone confirm either of these two things?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No not all have lsd, It is a factory option. I have seen the Regular S20 tranny from D15B and it did not have LSD.

hatchedzex 09-28-2004 02:04 PM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (egmike)

i have a boosted d, for the money i spent (under 500, DIY kit) its chump change on what a bswap woulda cost me and im eating gt mustangs for breakfast and dohc vtecs for lunch. stock internals im holding 8psi all day and my si trans loves it, gettin a y8 trans tho.

a1320honda 09-28-2004 02:40 PM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (hatchedzex)

ive done alot of research on this subject. jdm d15b vtec came with a factorey lsd option. if you find one for a good price, buy it. the y8 tranny does have steel shift forks but they are thin and prone to bending under hard shifting. i have a 98 y8 and the 1-2 fork bent when i pulled 2nd really hard. so i thought id try and bent it back by pushing back hard on 1st, it seems to have worked. the usdm 92-95 tranny have cast aluminum shift forks that wear more rapidly than the steel ones and have the possibilty to break. so its kind of a toss up. i personaly like the idea of the beefier aluminum forks. but thats my opinion. ive heard of guys pulling the steel forks and welding a bead on both sides for strength. as far as power goes, most d tranny can handle easily 250-300 hp depending on how well they've been taken care of. hope this helps

Hatchd 09-28-2004 06:39 PM

Re: Difference in d-series trannys? (a1320honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive done alot of research on this subject. jdm d15b vtec came with a factorey lsd option. if you find one for a good price, buy it. the y8 tranny does have steel shift forks but they are thin and prone to bending under hard shifting. i have a 98 y8 and the 1-2 fork bent when i pulled 2nd really hard. so i thought id try and bent it back by pushing back hard on 1st, it seems to have worked. the usdm 92-95 tranny have cast aluminum shift forks that wear more rapidly than the steel ones and have the possibilty to break. so its kind of a toss up. i personaly like the idea of the beefier aluminum forks. but thats my opinion. ive heard of guys pulling the steel forks and welding a bead on both sides for strength. as far as power goes, most d tranny can handle easily 250-300 hp depending on how well they've been taken care of. hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the informative post. I can get the d15b complete swap minus axles(big deal, $50) and a set of kyb agx adjustables for $1k. Asking price was 800 on the motor, 375 on the shocks. Motor has ~40K on it and shocks are brand new. Is that a decent enough price? I have NO idea what dseries stuff goes for. Ive been doing b stuff for 2 years now and just dont have anymore money, lol. THanks for all the help.