Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Difference between 00 Coupe USDM taillights and EDM taillights with fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between 00 Coupe USDM taillights and EDM taillights with fog lights?

Can Some One Show Me The Differents Between The Stock Honda Civic 2000 Coupe USDM Tail Lights. And The EDM Rear Tail Lights With The Fog Light In It. PLESE HELP
Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Difference between 00 Coupe USDM taillights and EDM taillights with fog lights?

Okay, I have a set of both of these ('96-'98 coupe though), so I'll try to explain.

The set I have are LHD taillights, so the rear foglight is behind the left side (it's always on the driver side).

USDM Coupe Taillights

EDM Coupe Taillights
Name:  IXr1S.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  138.0 KB

There's not a lot of obvious differences between the two, as you can see from the pics.

The EDM lights don't have the reflectors in the upper corners (the red section) that the US lights have.

The EDM lights don't light in the inner section of the red part EXCEPT for the rear foglight when it's on. This rear foglight is VERY bright btw. It's like a brake light, except it directs the light out to the rear.

The rear foglight will need to be wired in btw. If you just put them on the car the inner red sections just plain won't turn on when you turn the lights on. IIRC we swapped the wiring around a bit to get them to light at all, but this causes the rear foglight to be on all the time. We've just not gotten around to fixing it on mine.

There should be a switch you'll need for the rear foglight too.

Turn signals, backup lights and brake lights all work the same on these lights except that the inner red section will not light with the brakes.

The inner red section doesn't even have a hole for the bulb.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Difference between 00 Coupe USDM taillights and EDM taillights with fog lights?

Since those inner red sections don't light up and the rear foglight needs to be wired in to work correctly, you run the risk of being pulled over and ticketed. Even if the rear foglight is wired in correctly, because of half the brake light/running lights not working, I'd suggest these not go onto daily driven cars.

To a lot of cops it could look like you have half your brake lights out. Explaining that they're from Europe and therefore not DOT compliant and therefore illegal for use on public roads in the US probably won't help much. lol
Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks For The Info Bro.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM
H-T White Ops

No problem, ma'am.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Amed Irizarry
Thanks For The Info Bro.
Originally Posted by NOFX
No problem, ma'am.
What you did there, I see it.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by 94EG8
What you did there, I see it.
I have no idea what you mean.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by NOFX
Since those inner red sections don't light up and the rear foglight needs to be wired in to work correctly, you run the risk of being pulled over and ticketed. Even if the rear foglight is wired in correctly, because of half the brake light/running lights not working, I'd suggest these not go onto daily driven cars.

To a lot of cops it could look like you have half your brake lights out. Explaining that they're from Europe and therefore not DOT compliant and therefore illegal for use on public roads in the US probably won't help much. lol
OP: I go into a fair bit of detail in my 5G Civic Rear Fog Light DIY retrofit (link in sig) about compliance with local North American laws regarding these. I suggest you give it a read, and read up on your local laws. Coles notes, though, is many provinces/states explicitly allow them, and many do not explicitly disallow them (meaning, not technically illegal). Some vehicles on North American roads DO have stock-mounted rear fog lights (typically Euro imports), so getting pulled over regarding that should not be as much an issue as getting pulled over for non-DOT lamp housings.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
H-T White Ops

If the foglight isn't wired correctly this could be a problem (they're not supposed to be used in good weather), as could the car looking like it has brake lights out all the time.

The main problem being that it looks like your taillights/brake lights are not working.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM

^ Right. To underscore to the OP:

REAR FOG LIGHTS ARE TO BE USED ONLY IN ADVERSE ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS

Typically, this is when visibility drops to less than 150m (~500ft), or approximately the distance of an average city block.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 PM
H-T White Ops

So far I've only driven my car with these lights (with the foglight on all the time since I don't yet have a switch wired in) for only about 20 miles or so total, almost all within a mile or so of my home. I've had two people point out to me that my lights aren't on. The latest was Monday night when a coworker pointed it out.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I Should Not Have Any Promblems With The Fog Light. Lets See If I Can Find Any Pic's Of THe Back Part. I Have Had No Luck So Far.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re Difference between 00 Coupe USDM taillights and EDM taillights with fog lights?

I Know My Thread Is A Year Old. But Just Wanted To Let You Guys Know That I Got The Rear RHD Fog Light.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Wow. After all that, you installed it on the wrong side? It should be on the driver's side.... unless your car is RHD. But I don't think those are common in Conneticut.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Wow. After all that, you installed it on the wrong side? It should be on the driver's side.... unless your car is RHD. But I don't think those are common in Conneticut.
I Knew I Was Getting The One For The Right Side. The RHD Side Is More Rare Then The LHD One. So I Wanted To Be Different So I Got This One. I Can Always Get The Left One When Ever I Want.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amed Irizarry
I Knew I Was Getting The One For The Right Side. The RHD Side Is More Rare Then The LHD One. So I Wanted To Be Different So I Got This One. I Can Always Get The Left One When Ever I Want.
Left and right are the same, it is just a bulb and the rewiring. I had mine installed on my Hatch in Belgium from a Honda Dealership.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
H-T White Ops

This might be different, but I think it might technically be illegal to have it on that side only (you'll notice in the US - a LHD country - that cars customarily have the mist light on the driver side or both sides).

My assembly is noticeably different in the side with the rear mist light btw. There is a lens traced out in it where it is not on the right side. Retrofitting is likely possible, but the assembly is different than the US assembly/the non mist side.