Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec?

just curious...

wiring?
emissions?

i know the jdm blocks have slightly stronger blocks... so y not swap a JDM SOHC vtec (i believe its the jdm sohc ZC right?), rather than a Z6.... right?

im just wondering if the process of swapping would be virtually the same as swaping the USDM motor...

the JDM SOHC Vtec is pretty inexpensive, i found a few for 700. full swap + shipping. and i want that block for a future d16 turbo set up.

TIA
Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec? (mugensport9)

there are 2 JDM sohc vtec engines.
The D15B and the zc (1.6L D series)
both are near the same as a D16z6. but jdm blocks are not stronger than usdm blocks, it's all the same ****.
the wiring and emmissions should be the same as the z6.

Where have you found a site selling them? I have had no luck, I find dohc zc's and D15B's all the time but never a sohc vtec zc.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec? (CivicVX94)

"you are going to have to sleeve. Your block WILL NOT take 22 psi for any lenth of time, nor will it take 17 psi that much longer either. Your sleeves have a thin ring of ductile iron which makes up the "firewall" of the piston. Outside of that, there is cast iron with a little bit of odd and end materials in it. These material expand at different rates, hence goodbye sleeves. The reason JDM motors can take psi levels better than USDM motors can is because there Ductile wall is about 5 times thinker than ours is, plus they have ceramic outer coated sleeves"

from a post on turbod16.com

your saying this is not true?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec? (mugensport9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"you are going to have to sleeve. Your block WILL NOT take 22 psi for any lenth of time, nor will it take 17 psi that much longer either. Your sleeves have a thin ring of ductile iron which makes up the "firewall" of the piston. Outside of that, there is cast iron with a little bit of odd and end materials in it. These material expand at different rates, hence goodbye sleeves. The reason JDM motors can take psi levels better than USDM motors can is because there Ductile wall is about 5 times thinker than ours is, plus they have ceramic outer coated sleeves"

your saying this is not true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That guy = full of ****.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: dif. in swapping a USDM y6 compared too JDM SOHC vtec? (Ricey McRicerton)

so how come turbo panda was able to boost sooo much on his stock block? just his block guard and tuning?

dont think i dont believe you guys im just want to make sure i get the righ answers
Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dunno, you'd have to talk to him about it. I know nothing about his setup, but I don't believe for a second that in Japan they make their sleeves 5 times as thick as they do here. Some people just get "stronger" motors from the factory. Heck, Ive been running 10psi on a stock y7 for over a year now with no problems at all. Some people put 10psi on it and blow it first thing.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"you are going to have to sleeve. Your block WILL NOT take 22 psi for any lenth of time, nor will it take 17 psi that much longer either. Your sleeves have a thin ring of ductile iron which makes up the "firewall" of the piston. Outside of that, there is cast iron with a little bit of odd and end materials in it. These material expand at different rates, hence goodbye sleeves. The reason JDM motors can take psi levels better than USDM motors can is because there Ductile wall is about 5 times thinker than ours is, plus they have ceramic outer coated sleeves"

your saying this is not true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why yes i am
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That guy = full of ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm going with Ricey on that and this
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but I don't believe for a second that in Japan they make their sleeves 5 times as thick as they do here. Some people just get "stronger" motors from the factory. Heck, Ive been running 10psi on a stock y7 for over a year now with no problems at all. Some people put 10psi on it and blow it first thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>