Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIES! car dies at stops B16a2

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIES! car dies at stops B16a2

92 civic dx with b16a no codes it had o2 senor code but its fixed and it still dieing. it not my car it a friends just helping him out. he says its running rich and floods out. it has light flywheel and 225 fuel pump. could the fuel pump be to much. stock fuel pressure regulator. i need some answers i'm a 88-90 civic guy so the help me please.

thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIES! car dies at stops B16a2 (si90rex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si90rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">92 civic dx with b16a no codes it had o2 senor code but its fixed and it still dieing. it not my car it a friends just helping him out. he says its running rich and floods out. it has light flywheel and 225 fuel pump. could the fuel pump be to much. stock fuel pressure regulator. i need some answers i'm a 88-90 civic guy so the help me please.

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

what mods does he have to have a 225 fuel pump? i hope he's boosted really high, or has some heavy mods, because if not there's no sense of having that fuel pump.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIES! car dies at stops B16a2 (philosofy1)

he said it would bog horribly in 3rd and and at cursing speeds so he upgraded the fuel pump. there no heavy mod just what i posted. i was think the same as u hes nuts doing that i think thats why it dies. i had nothing to do with any thing on this car. im just trying to help him out.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it was bogging on 3rd, a performance fuel pump is not the solution. tell him to put back in the oem one and take it to a shop to figure out why it's bogging out on 3rd.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you put a 225lph fuel pump on a stock car and wonder why the expletive "its running rich and floods out"
Old 06-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put the stock fuel pump back in and run a diagnostic on the MAP and TPS sensors. Also, you're probably going to have to replace the spark plugs due to fuel-fouling.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it didn't bog after he put the fuel pump in it sovled that problem and putting the stock one back would solve nothing, it would just bring up the bogging problem. a stock fuel thats not vtec can't kept up with a dohc vtec. a stock fuel pump is like 85 phl of some thing. my crx si is a stock pump and it bogs all the time i'm putting a 00 si pump in mine and thats for a b16a. i figure a 00 si pump in the civic should be right for the motor, and a stock si is like 150 phl. once again not my car i did do the work. i'm fixing it for him. map senor and tps are fine that was the first thing i checked.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si90rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it didn't bog after he put the fuel pump in it sovled that problem and putting the stock one back would solve nothing, it would just bring up the bogging problem. a stock fuel thats not vtec can't kept up with a dohc vtec. a stock fuel pump is like 85 phl of some thing. my crx si is a stock pump and it bogs all the time i'm putting a 00 si pump in mine and thats for a b16a. i figure a 00 si pump in the civic should be right for the motor, and a stock si is like 150 phl. once again not my car i did do the work. i'm fixing it for him. map senor and tps are fine that was the first thing i checked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your telling me that it floods and is running rich. of course it's because of the fuel pump. i have a b16a in 93 dx, still running a oem fuel pump, and i have no bogging or stalling. once again replacing an oem fuel pump w/a performance one will not solve the problem. "tell your friend" to install the oem one, and then take it to a shop for repairs since apparently "he" does not know what the hell he is doing!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 AM

take off ur IACV and see if its clogged...this might help with it dieing when it comes to a stop but wont make much of a difference as far as how rich it runs....but like everybody says put back the oem fuel pump...its perfectly fine for what your buddy is running...has he changed the fuel filter?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your telling me that it floods and is running rich. of course it's because of the fuel pump. i have a b16a in 93 dx, still running a oem fuel pump, and i have no bogging or stalling. once again replacing an oem fuel pump w/a performance one will not solve the problem. "tell your friend" to install the oem one, and then take it to a shop for repairs since apparently "he" does not know what the hell he is doing!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, no i saying that if he just puts the stock fuel pump back in it wont solve nothing. i understand about the pump being to strong but i don't think the stock pump is stong enough. my b16a in my crx is running lean cause of the fuel pump. is can't hold fuel pressure it need to run the b16a, and if honda thought the dx fuel pump worked so perfect than why is an 00 si a 150! i mean if honda upgrade with the bigger motor than guess hey it the pump. theres no codes i've check everything out. yes i think the fuel pump is to big but the stock one is the opposite of the 250. rich to lean.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 AM

i got a 11:1 CR b16 with sk2s2 cams in my 91 dx...still running oem fuel pump and never had a problem with running lean
Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si90rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, no i saying that if he just puts the stock fuel pump back in it wont solve nothing. i understand about the pump being to strong but i don't think the stock pump is stong enough. my b16a in my crx is running lean cause of the fuel pump. is can't hold fuel pressure it need to run the b16a, and if honda thought the dx fuel pump worked so perfect than why is an 00 si a 150! i mean if honda upgrade with the bigger motor than guess hey it the pump. theres no codes i've check everything out. yes i think the fuel pump is to big but the stock one is the opposite of the 250. rich to lean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where are you getting your numbers for thses fuel pumps? as far as running lean, get a fuel regulator to boost the fuel pressure. as far as the dieing part, if your refering about the bogging on third gear, like i said your friend should take it to a shop. have them test out the tps and map sensors. a tune up is also helpful, it gets rid of alot of the what if's.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si90rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, no i saying that if he just puts the stock fuel pump back in it wont solve nothing. i understand about the pump being to strong but i don't think the stock pump is stong enough. my b16a in my crx is running lean cause of the fuel pump. is can't hold fuel pressure it need to run the b16a, and if honda thought the dx fuel pump worked so perfect than why is an 00 si a 150! i mean if honda upgrade with the bigger motor than guess hey it the pump. theres no codes i've check everything out. yes i think the fuel pump is to big but the stock one is the opposite of the 250. rich to lean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just do us a favor and pull the plugs and snap a couple pictures before you tell us how wrong we are. You might think you know what you're talking about, but many of us have been playing with these cars for much longer than you. Perhaps you should relax and figure out the root of the problem(s) rather than using bigger parts as a band-aid to cover up your mistakes.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Re: DIES! car dies at stops B16a2 (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just do us a favor and pull the plugs and snap a couple pictures before you tell us how wrong we are. You might think you know what you're talking about, but many of us have been playing with these cars for much longer than you. Perhaps you should relax and figure out the root of the problem(s) rather than using bigger parts as a band-aid to cover up your mistakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hahahaha...funny but true
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIES! car dies at stops B16a2 (Archidictus)

Hi Archidictus, I am getting a similar problem with bogging at constant throttle positions on the free way. If I floor it, the bogging goes away. Also when I go over bad roads, it bogs. But its random and not all the time. Can a wrongly installed alarm system cause this? I hear that the fuel pump relay is somehow linked to the alarm system. Could the grounding be bad via the alarm system? There was a time when the alarm went off when I tried to crank the car. The cranking failed and there was a continuous ticking sound from the fuel pump relay which lasted 30 seconds. I turned the key "off" and it managed to crank thereafter. It happened once only. I have replaced a new relay fearing the old one might have been damaged by all the ticking. Any advise?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIES! car dies at stops B16a2 (garyc17)

while i wont say that the alarm is linked to your problem...

it could be affecting it in terms of voltage and current. make sure grounds are cool, and that your alternator and battery are working well.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf? i have a 2nd gen b16 in my eg, have been running it of the factory fuel pump for my sohc non vtec motor for 6 years. i only swapped it out for a 190 walboro because i felt a 13 year old pump was probably being a little wore out.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmeg9)

What about ELD voltage? My helms manual tells me it should be 4.5V. I am only getting 3.5V off my PowerFC commander. The entire fusebox has to be replaced if the voltage is incorrect. A brand new fusebox isn't exactly cheap, so I figured I ask for some advice first.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:36 AM

I had a walbro and I had to switch out to a GSR pump because I kept dying as well.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this thread out...

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=2
Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put some fuel injector cleaner in on an empty tank. Fill up the whole gas tank. If that doesn't work, then check/adjust the timing and the idle speed.

I highly doubt it's the pump. I personally run a 255lph high pressure pump on a basically stock civic. (It was turbo.) It runs fine if you watch your fuel pressure.