Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did this long greasy bolt come from my Civic? Heard underneath chassis while driving fast....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did this long greasy bolt come from my Civic? Heard underneath chassis while driving fast....

Me and my friend were in my Civic tonight and i stopped on a pretty steep downhill road, car aiming down, and was planning on just flooring it through each gear cause i hadnt used vtec all week So i burnout and start goin thro gears and vtec, it felt fine the whole time, but i think after i hit 3rd, we heard a loud like clanking noise under the car, as if a rock or something had been kicked up by a wheel it just hit around the underneath of the car for a few seconds, pretty self explanatory...when i stopped halfway down after hearing it, i drove a little more, slowly, and it felt and sounded perfectly fine like before...so we drove back up and down looking in case it was a part that broke off or something, and eventually in the middle of the road around where it happened, i found the greasy bolt in the three pics below...i cant tell if it broke off some suspension part or something or was just already on the ground and got kicked up by me speeding downhill..or if it really was just ice or a rock or something...but it was on the ground around where the noise was so im guessing it was the bolt...what does it look like to you? could it have come from my car? i mean literally everything felt and sounded perfect afterwards all the way home driving fast or slow...and i cant really tell if it broken off or not cause on top where the threads are looks normal but it could be broken off...it really doesnt look broken though, but the other end thats squared, i cant tell where that wouldve been connected to...so any ideas? thanks

Old 02-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Did this long greasy bolt come from my Civic? Heard underneath chassis while driving fast.... (j

looks like the alternator bolt that a 14mm nut goes onto
Old 02-26-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Did this long greasy bolt come from my Civic? Heard underneath chassis while driving fast.... (j

ok...but could that have broken off my car just from driving fast like i do sometimes? i didnt do anything out of the ordinary other than what i usually do.....it just made the sound in the middle of third gear as if something got kicked up from the street and hit underneath the body a few times...but it couldve broken off too, i cant tell...and i havent looked under the car in depth yet, but nothing was hanging or anything like that...
Old 02-26-2005, 07:01 PM

ok...but could that have broken off my car just from driving fast like i do sometimes? i didnt do anything out of the ordinary other than what i usually do.....it just made the sound in the middle of third gear as if something got kicked up from the street and hit underneath the body a few times...but it couldve broken off too, i cant tell...and i havent looked under the car in depth yet, but nothing was hanging or anything like that...
Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM

oops, double post my bad
Old 02-26-2005, 07:04 PM

look underneath where the alternator goes. i cant think of anywhere else that bolt goes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:07 PM

could it be related to this story at all?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1162012

....where exactly do i look on or near the alternator where that couldv come from? and why would it have broken off of it just while driving a little fast?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:08 PM

....where exactly do i look on or near the alternator where that couldv come from? and why would it have broken off of it just while driving a little fast?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:08 PM

no. thats just some halfass **** done the wrong way. not broken off but vibrated off. jack up the driver side and look at the alternator, itll be obvious if it came off or not.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:09 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:10 PM

why are you double posting ?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:11 PM

i really dont know...im not doing anything different....???
Old 02-26-2005, 07:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eK9aT10pSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. thats just some halfass **** done the wrong way. not broken off but vibrated off. jack up the driver side and look at the alternator, itll be obvious if it came off or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 PM

ok..im not familiar with alternator stuff....what if i couldnt jack it up? my jack is too high up, my car is too low...can i look under the hood to find out by any chance or anything else? and if it did come out of there, what would happen if it never got replaced??
Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 PM

ok..im not familiar with alternator stuff....what if i couldnt jack it up? my jack is too high up, my car is too low...can i look under the hood to find out by any chance or anything else? and if it did come out of there, what would happen if it never got replaced??
Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:18 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:19 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:20 PM

Old 02-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahah whats wrong with your computer? and yea that sorta looks like the alt bolt. is the head square?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 PM

looks like it from the picture. just the stock jack then to get it up a bit.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:52 PM

yeah it is square....but couldnt it very well have been on the road from another car? i mean, why would i come loose or break off for no reason? whats the consequence of this coming out if its from my car?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 PM

yeah it is square....but couldnt it very well have been on the road from another car? i mean, why would i come loose or break off for no reason? whats the consequence of this coming out if its from my car?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 PM

Quick Reply: Did this long greasy bolt come from my Civic? Heard underneath chassis while driving fast....