Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

did i get ripped off? bought swapped EG

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i get ripped off? bought swapped EG

alright...i've been meaning to post this wanting ya'lls opinion on my recent buy..(prolly have pics soon)

93 Si w/ b16a SiR swap
skunk2 cams and cam gears
had to replace dizzy with 94 GSR
a Cheap-o ZR eBay header - to test pipe - to a Number One cat back (this exhaust sounds great, but when i google it, i cant find anything about it.)

Suspension:
front- coilovers, not sure what brand
back- Tokiko gas shocks
both have yellow springs but they're cut...not sure what kind they are but it doesnt matter cause they're ruined. basically my suspension is Shot.

Exterior: SHAVED DOORS. i hate it but i deal with them. i gotta replace the fenders and doors asap.
mugen front lip/type-r rear.
Seibon CF hood that needs new clear coat.

Interior- LS integra seats in front. not sure about rear seats.
no console
short throw shifter.
indi-glow gauges. (getting different ones)

btw, no a/c or power steering. wooo

So basically i got it as a project. you guys think it was worth the $3500 price tag?

Last edited by civic_or_bust; 05-14-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: forgot info
Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did i get ripped off? bought swapped EG

te la metieron seco! hahah.

:D

yes you got screwed!

3500 for someone elses headache...........

you shouldve got a stock hatch or a coupe for that price...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not really a headache. i mean it runs great. just doesnt look how i want lol
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang.
you got screwed.
go back and ask for part of the money back.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 AM

yea you did get screwed for how cheap this cars go for now of days, but hey if you like it thats all that matters.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think it's a bad deal at all, considering the parts that are on it would cost more than $3500 to buy in the first place.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

post pics. I would like to see what 3500 bought you.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry man but yeah u got screwed...big time...go back and see if u could get the money back....or more parts
Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey...dont feel so bad my buddy bought a 93 teg w/ a b16a and it was as clean as could be....but had a blown HG...and runs like ****. and he payed 3600 for it. i dont know how he did not know it had a bad HG and it was running like ****...i guess cause it was his first H/A...but thats a headache. and you said yours is running great...soo yea just be glad you got a good running motor. a few cosmetic imperfections are not that bad. but yea for 3500 i def. would not have bought that. but your money...your car. sorry im rambling im stoned.....but GL!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya that is a pretty bad deal. I payed 5k for my 93si 4 years ago it had a usdm gsr swap with a built head RM cams/valvetrain port. full leather gsr int. straight body a little rust. New cf hood new work knock offs with azenis. A lot of little extras to, and tokico blues and spings. I thought I was paying to much but the car was quick and I was young. 10k later its my baby that is about to be parted out ha.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man it all depends where you live. here in dallas people are trying to sell there stock hatches for $3500! if u got urs with a swap already and some mods i think its worth the price. Remember a suspension is going to be just $350 - $400 and you can go to the junkyard and get urself a center console and gauges...

oh and by the way ur i think ur exhaust is an ebay exhuast, its not number 1 is a N1 style full exhaust. comes with header, test pipe, and catback.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My brother bought an eg for 2500 stock and next thing he knew he was fixing all this ****. you didnt get screwed in a way that hey.. you got a car, with a b16a, that runs and probably pretty quick, so just put some time and energy into it it will be a sweet little hatch!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look at it this way...you got a si! it came with a b16 swap! that good enough for me!! shaved doors....big deal. its a good platform to start with. mod it as you would like to and now what other people want you too......enjoy!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
i don't think it's a bad deal at all, considering the parts that are on it would cost more than $3500 to buy in the first place.
im with him
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Any dents in the car?? Cause most shells go for about $500 to a grand, and the motor depending on how many miles usually run about 2500 shipped so basicly u came out pretty good. Throw u a skunk2 set up(suspension) on there for about $350 let it ride, till u find out what u really want. The doors ummm yeah u prolly would want to replace them pretty quick but u can go to a junk yard for those. Later down the road sand it down and paint it and now u have a nice looking car. The end. thats how I would look at it
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good to me... try getting a motor for 2200 and getting ****ed over on that i have to actually rebuild the whole thing and a few grand later its a dope motor... lol fml
Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you got screwed. Like forcefedferio said, if those are genuine parts that are on it, you'd spend what you paid for the entire car to get them. I feel you on the shaved doors though....hit the junkyard.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

i found myself in this same situation when i bought my first car.

was it 93 dx hatch with b16a2 swap and i was so excited i didnt loook into the minor details.

week later i found out my clutch was out and needed rewiring for the motor.

interior was all crappy. i used superglue to piece most of it together actually. superglue works like a charm lol.

it runs fine and ive had it about 3 months now and dropped little over 2500 already.

i got screwed if u ask me. but i made the bad decision so i gotta deal with it. plan on b20z bottom end for b20v and ill be happy lol.

just look at the bright side of things and take it little by little and you'll get it how u want it.

p.s. also found out the motor and tranny has no vin# which sucked ***. but i called dmv and state police they said it would be fine if it had no vin aslong as the vin on the shell matches the title its fine.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM

Two years ago I bought a GSR motor off some guy here, he said it only had a missing block passage cooling pipe and needed a dizzy. It was a GSR, I bought it for 1800. $750 later I find out it had a fully blown transmission and no head gasket. $2550 down the hole and another $350 if I wanted to rebuild the transmission. I ran out of funds and had to trade the whole motor for a prime D16Y8 full swap with 70k on the clock to a friend of mine who not only gave me the motor but swapped it for me. I vowed to never buy something without finding out first whether it was good or not. He was a reputable trader too, but people naturally pulled the "Where's your proof?" and took his side.

You didn't get THAT bad of a deal, but remember that the money you spend putting that car where you want it to be (changing shaved doors, fixing suspension) is going to factor into the 'overall' price of what the car cost you. It could've been a lot worse. My friends have bought swapped hatches with motors only a few miles from a spun rod. 3-4 years ago a swapped EG with a twin cam could easily pull 4500-5500.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You paid a fair price. Not bad at all.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well actually i only paid 2500 for it...i sold my shitty 91 hatch that was falling apart for 1500. the b16 in this 93 Si is new(ish). 30k miles.
doors are $40 at local pull apart
i can get fenders for cheaps too.
it has fog lights too lol

but thanks for the opinions

BTW the exhaust insnt N1 style. its the brand Number"1"One. they make coilovers and ****. the people in town love how it sounds too..now the test pipe may be eBay. it has type-r exhaust systems stamped on it. i'll take pics of it all when i can get ahold of my gf's digi cam.
I basically bought the car from my good friend who needed cash fast. there arent any dents in the body. it is primered but my dad can paint it np.
like i said i got the car for a project. it is pretty quick though...

oh. btw he gave me the whole a/c system. and the power steering system too. two fans. and other misc. ****

Last edited by civic_or_bust; 05-14-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: bad info
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't sound like you got ripped off to me. Sounds like you could clean it up and put some new paint on it for less than 1k.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont listen to them. you didnt get screwed at all. although i wouldve gotten a stock body with a stock swap you did what you could. good luck with he project
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes it's better to hold out for the car you want. Being knowledgeable and firm about what you are going to buy will always be the best way to make a purchase. You didn't get ripped off, you made a poor choice. Anyone could have sold you junk! Why? because as a buyer you did not educate yourself.

I'm sorry for being blunt but it's the truth.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey whats up. I don't necessarily think you got ripped off, its interesting though. The car seems to have a couple fancy odds and ends (mods) that would make it appealing to a buyer, but is missing or lacking with stock properties. I bought a 91 hatch in a similar condition. It had a B18A1, ys1 trans, i/e, cd player, etc... but it was missing the black outside trim, swap had some loose ends that needed to be tied up, trans grinded 3rd under heavy accel, and a number of other little things. All in all it was a great car and I wish I still had it, but it did help me learn bit more about the used honda market. You could throw a GSR motor in a shopping cart nowadays and sell it for $3500, contrary to what many people think honda engines and cars in general are still not exactly cheap, and that is because of their demand and appeal. If its a solid motor with good tranny/clutch, good parts on it, etc... then it doesnt sound like too bad of a deal, and you just gotta put in some work to find the little odds n ends.

Quick Reply: did i get ripped off? bought swapped EG